Freshly Dropped/Discovered over at eMu

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Hey, BigD,

I think that Frissel came in the drop of Nonesuch: Ali Farka and Toumani, Amadou & Mariam, Buena Vista, Black Keys, Mehldau, Thile, Voix Bulgares, etc. FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY, Genuine Negro Jig showed up.

Here's something you might like Cousin Joe from New Orleans. It's on JSP, but I'm pretty sure it's this set.

ETA: the list of Nonesuch records in the drop is very extensive--some critical parts of the labels collection.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks, BT, I overlooked that Cousin Joe (it doesn't pay to be peeved does it?) - it certainly is the same set, and I've been quite happy with the JSP box sets I've picked up in the past. Thanks for restoring that downloading fool grin to my furrowed brow.

Have to rec this one from Nonesuch - A Toda Cuba Le Gusta by The Afro Cuban All Stars, $4.90. Excellent album.

Excellent Explorer series release for $2.45 - Shakuhachi - Japanese Flute. I've got the LP.

The first solo album from Dixie Dregs guitarist (currently Deep Purple) Steve Morse - The Introduction - $3.92. Very good album.
  • Oh boy, great news on Nonesuch. And a quick glance suggests pricing is favorable.
  • Not all of it - the Ben Folds/Nick Hornby album is $0.89 per track and $8.24 for the album. That's something I would probably buy right away for 11 credits, and probably for $0.49/$5.39 too, given that there's not much else (must-have-wise) out at the moment. At this price, naah.
  • BigD: Are these Alligator albums truly new, or merely re-dropped?
  • edited June 2011
    It's interesting to see how the different labels line up in different countries. Some of the Nonesuch stuff we've had available for ages on World Circuit - Ali and Toumanis' two recordings for example. But other Nonesuch recordings must be on a different label here as there are no Amadou and Mariam recordings available on emusic here, so they cannot be on World Circuit. I've actually bought some of their CDs to get them, but now most are on itunes. Isn't it time that labels agreed world wide releases in the day of internet accessibility? Bandcamp, eg, is multinational....

edit - by following one of the links I see Nonesuch is part of Warner over there, hence lack of availability in Europe.
  • edited June 2011
    BT, good question. When the hell did all these arrive? They say 6/21 but I didn't see them yesterday - maybe looked too early. #1 on the list Showdown was definitely there before, it was one of Alligators most downloaded, but I see the album cover has a newly remastered (=new & more expensive) tag on it. Many do not seem familiar, and I can say for sure that Little Charlie and the Nightcats are new, because I did looked them up over the weekend. They are one of my favorite blues bands, bands period, absolutely great. I hear Charlie has retired, but I would wholeheartedly rec their first two albums All The Way Crazy, and Disturbing The Peace, as well as their Captured Live.

N.B. the old version of Showdown is still Most Downloaded if you search all Alligator and is $4.41, so if you are interested jump on it before it disappears like many "old" Rounder did.

Also for $3.92 I'd rec this live Lonnie Mack Attack of the Killer V. The song Stop is beautiful.
  • Yes I noticed Showdown as a new release earlier today - but there are two versions available here, possibly the same for you http://www.emusic.com/album/Albert-Collins-Robert-Cray-Johnny-Copeland-Showdown-MP3-Download/11337136.html and http://www.emusic.com/album/Albert-Collins-Robert-Cray-Johnny-Copeland-Showdown-MP3-Download/12652868.html The 'new' version has one extra track. Otherwise pricing here is similar as we pay per track downloaded
  • I'll probably sit out on those. I'm not as big of a fan of more contemporary electric blues (or as much of a fun of electric blues in general). Moreover, I've but $7.44 left to spend before my annual runs out. I know, though, you like my last dl. (Along the same line, check this out.)
  • edited June 2011
    600x600.jpg
    + yet another drop of Warp Backcatalogue.
    - Including one of Autechre's finest: 100x100.jpg
  • BT, you knew I had that Rumba Blues already, didn't you? Nice tip on that set at 7digital - I was wondering why the label seemed familiar - Rhythm & Blues Records - and it is of course because I have the 4 volume History of Rhythm and Blues from them (downloaded in happier, er, cheaper, days) - and eMu has that Rumba Jazz release as a 2 disc for $11.98 so I may be hitting that at 7dig tonight, thanks.
    Oh, and on Little Charlie the last thing I would ever call them is contemporary, they can swing like hell - Charlie blew my mind at one gig blowing through a Charlie Christian number with the ferocity of a hungry lion - my jaw just hung open. I have a similar sentiment as you for most of the "contemporary" releases from Alligator - there's a certain sound, perhaps a lack of feel, on most of them I just don't dig, but the Nightcats aren't in that category.
  • BigD, I came across the album recently--and your review--looking for an original version of "Hound Dog." Indeed, your review swayed me to hit purchase.
  • edited June 2011
    Oh, yeah, or to paraphrase one of my favorite Looney Tunes - "ahh, a review, George, a review".
    (My laptop here has what you'd call a short window).
  • At least some of those Alligator are new; I keep an eye on the Janiva Magness drops and those couple of albums were not here before.
  • Holy Rhythm & Blues, Batman, er, I mean BT - thanks to your other tip I was poking around at 7digital and realized that this beauty at $8.99 is the 4 disc set The History Of Rhythm and Blues 1925-1942 that is represented at eMusic on the aforementioned Rhythm & Blues Records label by 4 separate albums (the grey covers with black writing), at $5.99 each not exactly bad deals but the box, all 97 tracks, for $8.99 - a steal.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks BDB - with 7 digital we do generally get the same offers in the UK, so this is great value at £7.99. Certainly a download on the way. If 7 Digital, a UK company, can offer the same prices in both markets for such compilations, why can't emusic? In the Uk this would have been over £40 on emusic!
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, it's probably one of them bottom-feeding import releases but for anybody who didn't get in on that Ray Charles glitch back in the day ( Whatever could you mean? ) there's this 93 Essential Tracks for $5.99. I only listened to a couple of samples which seemed ginuwine, but as always caveat emptor. Me, I'm all Ray'd out.

Edit - Oh, snap this label's got more including this one I had on my waiting list at Amazon - 101 R&B Hits of the 50's - although I think rock'n'roll might have been more accurate. There's an 80 John Lee Hooker, a 52 Howling Wolf, and an 85 Oscar Peterson set also - link.
    Edit 2 - All five of these are newly added at Amazon also for $6.99.

EDIT 3 - Danger, Will Robinson - on that 101 R&B there are 3 tracks with kbps of 63, 68, and 82. There Goes My Baby sounds like it was recorded from someone's stereo in another room through a tin can. So at $0.06/track what can you live with. I am going to complain to the management.
  • Ouch! I saw those DWk's this morning, but dismissed them because they lacked an "editorial" dimension. Those bitrates are abysmal, especially for eMu.

I'm still mulling over how to spend my remaining credit. I've absorbed so much blues that lately I think I'll need to go in a different direction.

The Rhythm and Blues comps are great finds--I tried to find them at eMu, but was confused by the number of separate collections that came under the same name (albeit with different years). Good job, BigD.
  • edited June 2011
    The JSP collection, Meaning of the Blues, dropped, albeit in two "volumes", each at $4.40: volume 1, volume 2.
  • I'd really like to get that set,thanks BT. But at £41.42 per double album I'll look out for them elsewhere. Even with my discount I'd still be paying over £20, around $30. It does show how the automatic pricing on emusic can work out differently in different markets.
  • edited June 2011
    Holy Flying French F**k - has anyone seen this? Musette To Maestro - a 5 disc JSP Django Reinhardt box for $4.40. 127 tracks or something - if you ever had any curiosity about Django, here you go. This tip's on you, BT, you made me look at JSP.

EDIT - Sorry, had to actually work a while there. This is not Hot Club of France material but early career stuff - he is not even playing guitar on the first 2 discs but banjo, then backing up other artists - see this review on the Amazon page for a fuller description. If you like Django you'll still probably want it, at this price it was a reflex for me.
  • edited June 2011
    This JSP title Bobby Marchan is actually split between him and Paul Gayten (see Amazon for better listing), so it's some good New Orleans stuff, 42 tracks, $4.40. This is a sibling release to the Cousin Joe album - for some reason eMu has two JSP listings - the first JSP/The Orchard (59 albums) and the other JSP Records/The Orchard (540 albums)- just to mess with us - I thought I was losing my mind. The two volumes BT just mentioned are on different "labels". I see the Musette To Maestro box is on the other label page broken up into single discs, so beware, brother, beware.
  • No new Gillian Welch. Boo.
  • edited July 2011
    GILLIAN WELCH ALERT - contrary to what one of the eMorons had said on the MB here it is - and $4.90 to boot. Piss me off double that yesterday I thought I was doing OK getting it for $5.99 at Amazon with that $2 coupon. Dumbasses.
    Really like the album by the way. Get it quick before they think to make it $6.99.
  • Thanks BDB, I was hoping it would turn up.
  • edited July 2011
    Well, here's 12 tracks (I refuse to acknowledge the intro as such) that may actually be worth $5.99 - David Grisman Quintet - 25th Year Reunion Concert. In all fairness I can not claim to be impartial when it comes to the Gris - he was a big gateway find for me in the '80's that led to an interest in bluegrass/instrumental acoustic type music.
  • edited November 2014
    - From the latest Les Disques VICTO drop:

300x300.jpg
    "On her debut album for Victo, the former Michigander and downtown New York music stalwart enlisted the skills of three of her four sisters, producer David Shea, electronic percussion maestro Ikue Mori, and guitar hero Chris Cochrane. Truly an avant-garde chamber work, "Ursa's Door" employs strings, electric harp, voices, found sound, piano, and electric guitar to realize the complex methodologies of group improvisation in a tightly structured context. While there is no "melodic" framework per se in Parkins' work, the various harmonic intervals suggest one or two. And while there are no "movements" proper, this is a symphonette, full of dynamic shifts, contrapuntal assignations, and the dramatic mechanics suggested by the appearance of a "conductor" in David Shea. It's fun, this work; its dissonances and atonal slashes and burns are more than soothed by the warmth, humor, and technical virtuosity of the players. A second and much shorter work, "Flush," explores a microtonal universe governed by mode and polyrhythmic changes in harmonic and physical characteristics. This is music as physical and psychical universe, related phrase by phrase through an ever-shifting continuum of silences and dynamic restraint. It's as if the work has no body, but creates one through the interplay and layering of strings. Only Mori's percussion suggests an alien presence in the work. Zeena Parkins has been recognized as a composer of merit and substance for her Tzadik and Avant recordings; this one should be included in her canon as a pair of works worthy of note."
    - Thom Jurek / All Music Guide.
  • This is a "new" re-release of Mayhem by Imelda May, her second album originally from 2010 I think. First saw her with Jeff Beck in the Les Paul Rock and Roll Tribute show, and if you like swinging rockabilly inspired music you might dig this. Also $5.99 at Amazon as well, where the CD is only $7.99.
  • edited August 2011
    This one sneaked through in May but I have to put it up here because it is one of the best instrumental guitar records ever - I do not say that lightly. The Return of the Hellecasters is the first, yes first, album by The Hellecasters - comprising Jerry Donahue(Fothergay, Fairport Convention mach 3 or 4), John Jorgenson (Nashville studio ace, Desert Rose Band, Elton John band), and Will Ray - three guitar virtuosos whose combined talents are nothing less than awesome. The gamut of material runs from rock to swingish and country, and for me stands above the pack because of the melodic coherence of the songs - this isn't just guitar wankery for its own sake. I have never understood why these guys weren't on eMu, and this is the only record there, and I would recommend this as strongly as anything I know.

While you're at it if you want some more guitar you can still get for $0.49 Track 6 from this sampler Over A Dozen Flavors which is actually all 48 minutes of the Danny Gatton album Unfinished Business, if you don't mind having it as one continuous track. A very well spent $0.49 it would be.
  • edited August 2011
    Emusic just added radio. 37 stations and what I interpret as a 10 hour a month limit. Curated selections by genre, no ads so far, ability to skip tracks at will.
    ETA wait, I just reached the "skip limit"