What are you listening to right now? (Number 9, number 9...)

Comments

• Good morning, greg! I look forward to test-driving all these discoveries. Our hot weather has finally broken, but we're getting daily thunderstorms. It feels like I've been a shut-in for the last two weeks, and I think the boy is stir-crazy.

NP:
    220px-NeverGetOut.jpg
    Steve Earle's I'll Never Get Out of this World Alive, currently $3.99 at amazon.
  • 1036062101-1.jpg
    - "CD debut of this 1985 post-minimal landmark by Elodie Lauten, featuring performances by Arthur Russell and Peter Zummo. Lauten has been active in the downtown New York classical and punk scenes since moving from France in the 1970s. The Death of Don Juan is a breakthrough for its bold, lyrical minimalism in concert with a dramatic sensibility that is deeply faithful to the modern existential emotional experience. Originally self-produced and released as a small LP edition on her own label, it has been touted ever since by Kyle Gann, who adds notes to this edition, and was recently included on one of Alan Licht's Minimal Top Ten lists."
    - Unseen Worlds Records 2008
  • edited July 2012
    @BT - I am glad the weather has broken - it might mean we get a change soon beofre the Olympics start in three weeks or so, and we go on holiday for a week in the uK in four weeks time! I'm really liking the two Walking Eagle albums I downloaded a few hours ago. Currently playing

4239247564-1.jpg
  • 284399484-1.jpg

Free download from Richard Ball who leads, and plays flute in, Walking Eagle.
    This is a series of improvisations, recorded raw and unedited (except for the sound effects...) using 'old school' equipment (complete with crackles and pops!.) This is the first album of solo woodwinds I have recorded in 6 years. The improvisations were based on my experiences being in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, in June 2012 fora month of music, contemplation and relaxation... and some adventure....

See his website for details on each track.
  • Re: the Steve Earle album: I'm getting really tired of the T Bone Burnett Sound. It's not an antidote to the loudness wars, just an alternative.
  • Streaming from Bandcamp, with thanks to P42:
    621243276-1.jpg
    http://imaginarychicago.com/turetzky.shtml#newmusic
  • 51tE0ClhXAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

followed by

41yx8BPTBoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

then

518F-T2T3FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

then

51MJgHjsCqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Beat the London Transport blues today with music
  • 51EzP6vqJTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One of my all-time favorite CDs.
  • edited July 2012
    41lPrwpgt9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

John Maus Love is Real
  • 51Rbk5Zy4BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

¡Oye!
  • edited July 2012
    300x300.jpg
    David Wenngren & Christopher Bissonnette - The Meridians of Longitude and Parallels of Latitude

Release description:
    - "Whilst most of you will know of our love for David Wenngren (of Library Tapes fame, of course), Christopher Bissonnette’s ‘In Between Words’ release on Kranky has long been a personal favourite around these parts. So when I heard about their collaboration I almost fell over myself with excitement. The result is the beautiful and noisily freckled masterpiece ‘The Meridians of Longitude and Parallels of Latitude’, mastered by the lovely Taylor Deupree. In many ways the record is a perfect hybrid of their sound, almost the truest of collaborations if you will. It is also a true Home Normal release, fitting of our original intentions for release of works. It is of a drone-like nature, yet at once melodic, intense and possessing a naturally organic graininess and warmth we so love. The cover art is a perfect match for the sound: beautiful, serene, yet freckled and blurred like a frosty window pane. The music is that of a dream, a dusty memory of something beautiful, retaining its alluring being in that which is hidden, seen but not fully recognisable."
    - Home Normal.

Soundcloud.
  • edited July 2012
    41LXtXr5-0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • 1794655774-1.jpg

- Brilliant and quite Cinematic Orchestra'ish . . .
  • 2621206339-1.jpg
    Egyptology - The Skies
    - " A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away… », those canonical words could be inscribed into Egyptology’s grand work’s frontispiece. Built one block after another using antediluvian rhythm boxes and synthesizers, from the sub low frequencies deep down in the foundations up to the high frequencies skimming the tails of comets, The Skies could also be the sonic illustration of a science-fiction narrative which took place thousands and thousands years ago…
    Olivier Lamm (O.Lamm) and Stéphane Laporte (Domotic, Centenaire) were already well known for their post-electronica and avant-pop explorations among the Active Suspension/Clapping Music collective in the early 2000s. For Egyptology, they decided to pool their love for the mighty white noise sound and vintage electronic instruments (Roland SH101, Roland MC 202, Korg MS10, Korg 700s Mini, Yamaha CS-15, Juno 106, Roland JX3P, Prophet 600, Philicorda…) while cultivating their differences.

Concocted over a long period of time in their own home-studios, their erudite mixtures emulsify glimmering chants and synthetic dusts of overdriven sounds on magnetic tape, like hieroglyphs were written on modern day papyrus.
    Musical sequel (or prequel) to a very ancient narrative of things to come, The Skies harmonizes the memorial sounds of our electronic godfathers (Joe Meek, Isao Tomita, Mort Garson, Vangelis, the BBC Radiophonic Workshop) through the eyes and heart of a child (synthetic music from French TV shows of the 70s) and builds them into an parascending trip which is less retrofuturistic or retromaniacal than conscious of the past, the present and the future which co-exist in all great epics."

- Clapping Music.
    - Oh man !
  • edited July 2012
    1948174909-1.jpg 1963_headbanger_playing_an_electric_guitar.gif
  • 61KaM6tQpZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Classic reggae found in my local library
  • 1157540417-1.jpg
    My favorite from the big collection of free Brazilian albums.
  • 2554558063-1.png
    Something interesting from Brazil. From what I can tell, she was Tom Z
  • 220px-Dust_Bowl_Ballads.jpg
    The songs on "Dust Bowl Ballads" are semi-autobiographical, chronicling Guthrie's experience as a so-called "Okie" during the Dust Bowl era, where Guthrie witnessed the economic hardship that many migrant workers faced in California.
  • kezkez
    edited July 2012
    Since you mention Woody Guthrie, I'm reminded of an article I read just yesterday in which Terri Hendrix spoke of him. I found it very interesting. I came across it when I was looking up info on the song "Way Down Yonder in the Minor Key" after hearing it on the Dave Carter/Tracy Grammer album "Little Blue Egg." In case anyone is interested in reading the article, the link is here.

(P.S. That "Little Blue Egg" album is very, very good, by the way - especially the Guthrie cover of "Way Down Yonder in the Minor Key".)

EDIT// Oh, so I guess Guthrie wrote the words to "Way Down Yonder in the Minor Key," but Billy Bragg wrote the music (?).
  • Bragg had fragmentary evidence for some songs, so I don't know if he wrote the tune entirely or incorporated some melody conveyed to him. I plan on listening to Mermaid Avenue later today.
This discussion has been closed.