NBA Playoffs

edited May 2012 in General
this is probably just for me and jonah. or maybe just me. or no-one, when and if my heat are eliminated and i stop watching the playoffs. like a child.

anyway, until then, this:
Anyways, back to basketball. Yeah, Memphis was fun to watch in the postseason last year, too. And who would've thought, a few years ago, that it would be Mike Conley leading a team to postseason success and not Ohio St. teammate (and number one overall draft pick) Greg Oden? Hell, Conley was considered an afterthought in that draft.

i thought memphis would get to the WCF. and then the clippers, who i thought were more sizzle than steak, built a 3 -- 1 lead. but the griz are back back back. game six ought to be a war. if griz somehow get out of this round, i like their chances against the spurs, who i think are playing over their heads (an awesome dynasty a few years ago, but i just can't see a championship team built largely around tony parker, while duncan -- while still v good -- is aging). if the griz were to get by the spurs . . . well, i'd say that's the end-of-the-road for them.

anyway, THE NBA PLAYOFFS.

Comments

• Since I'm essentially ambivalent when it comes to sports I'll post the first basketball music link that occurred to me: Babe The Blue OX - Basketball
  • I'm shocked to find myself talking as much nba playoffs as I have thus far. Since Rose went down at the end of game one, I haven't even bothered watching any more games, as a nod to the power of futility. Maybe my emusers nba talk are just the dissipating contrails of my long gone jet engine playoffs enthusiasm.
  • haha, don't leave me hanging! talk some hoops.

hey, charles barkley says the heat lose to the pacers in round-two, and i'm still gonna talk -- i.e., whine -- about it.
  • Since I'm essentially ambivalent when it comes to sports

Yay, I'm not the only one! I don't know what it is but I've never been able to have any real interest in sports.
  • I don't know what it is but I've never been able to have any real interest in sports.

Well, the precise diagnosis isn't as important as recognizing that there is something very very wrong with you. The sooner you can admit this, the sooner you'll be on the path to becoming a self-aware, misguided person with a big problem.
  • I admit it's a problem. But it's a pretty good problem. What would sports add to my life? Stress and frustration when "my" teams eff up? I've got enough stress and frustration. Things to spend money on like big tv's and fancy cable packages? I've got plenty to spend money on. Pride and joy when my team wins? That's the heart of my problem; how can I be happy that they won? I didn't do it I just picked a team, and if I'm like most fans I picked it based on where I happened to live. It wasn't even like a reasoned choice. So a team that lives near me happened to win? Yay, all my troubles are over! Until they lose.

Probably has something to do with where I live though. Buffalo and S.U. Are the closest big franchises; they're not known for enriching anybody's life. But still that doesn't stop anybody else here from not having my problem.
  • I stopped paying attention after you wisely said this...
    I admit it's a problem.
  • Probably smart.

[/highjack]
  • What would sports add to my life?

an outlet for aggression otherwise directed at emusic message-board contributors.
  • Exactly. Sports is about emotional projection, keeping yourself shielded from the dangers of intimacy while you frantically shout swear words at strangers. While spiritual transcendence is a healthy alternative, this beats beating up somebody.

But the TNT Overtime thing is a thing of beauty. No commercials. One angle to watch the game that doesn't get sliced and diced into a corporate misrepresentation of bball. If you do love the intuitive, competitive nature of the game, it's perfect.
  • Sports is about emotional projection, keeping yourself shielded from the dangers of intimacy while you frantically shout swear words at strangers

well, i still frantically shout swear words at strangers, but otherwise, yeah.
  • bulls keepin' it close. can't believe they're facing elimination in round one, but they just aren't the same team.
  • nba_g_lebron01jr_576.jpg

pacers guarding each other more than they're guarding bron bron, imo.
  • edited May 2012
    What a great photo. I learned that the Pacers need to work on their dance routine and the LeBron guy is good because he has three arms. He doesn't look impressed by the dance moves either.
  • yeah. someone captioned that photo: "bron is skeptical of the pacers"
  • If the Bulls lose in the first round, there'll be a big asterisk in the ledger. Not one for the history books, that's for sure. They handily beat the Pacers in the one game they have him, then lose badly in the games that they don't (or Noah, in some, too). Meh.
  • hey, dave, did boozer foul out? i've got the sound off, but wtf is he on the bench in the crucial final stretch?
  • philly shouldn't go so craaaazy. yeah, they advance, but they'd have been flattened by the real bulls.

and i don't even like the bulls! but c'mon, 76ers.
  • I'm not watching the game. They're not showing it down here, which is no problem really, because I stopped watching them when Rose went down. That was the last game I saw.
  • boozer was telling friends earlier this year that the heat made a big mistake by taking bosh over him last offseason.

sorry, but i can't see that.
  • Neither Bosh nor Boozer are all that great, but Miami needs D more than offense, so going with Bosh was the right move for them. Boozer is a liability on defense, as the Bulls have learned. He's not bad to run the offense through, but the Bulls aren't built to run the ball through Boozer; he is, tho, a nice option when the Bulls offense stagnates because Boozer is pretty much automatic from ten feet out.
  • Boozer is the worst No. 2 option on a good team ever.

One for eleven tonight in a closeout game.
  • We lost? Oh well.

Yeah, I think they envisioned something a little different from Boozer when they picked him up. I don't think he ever was going to be a number two option. But Rip Hamilton never did shit for us this year, and Deng never has become a consistent offensive threat (tho I love the guy on the team), so they had to rely on Boozer more than they'd like. Besides, he sucks on D, so they had to use him somehow. I think they would trade him in a heartbeat at this point.
  • edited May 2012
    Music is my first love but Football/Soccer is not far behind! I used to follow more sports than now, but cycling is still up there - yes I shall be going to see the Olympic Road Race this summer and probably an Olympic soccer game too. I actually go to more live football games now than music concerts, and regularly watch Premiership and Champions League games live on TV, but that may have more to do with availability than anything else. Maybe the link between Football and Music is a UK thing?
  • Deng is awesome IMO.

Also, NUGGETS ! Stage is set for the return of the most absurdly-named NBA player ever in the deciding Game Seven.
  • For us in the UK this week its the final week of the Premiership, lots of excitment on Sunday. Which Manchester team will win and will my Glory Boys beat the Arsenal to 3rd place, to our American friends find a nice bar that shows the game and enjoy the fun!
  • I think I could get into ice hockey and european soccer if I watched it with a bunch of fans. Both need more scoring, IMO.
  • btw

Memphis_Grizzlies_Old.jpg

whoop whoop
  • edited May 2012
    Nuggets out in the first round. Again. They did make Kobe sweat for a while, though, even without Birdman.