NBA Playoffs

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Yes even as a life long Manchester United supporter I was totally supporting Bayern, I think all the talk and watching Spurs from my wife's family is getting to me and I always now like to see them do well, but of course when the two teams play each other, there is only one result I want! And yes, one point more for Spurs somewhere during the season, I'd have been celebrating Chelsea's victory, as Arsenal would have missed out, and they are third on Man U fan's club to hate as well as number 1 for Spurs' fans! Bring on the Euros!!!
  • somewhere along the line, this heat-pacers series got compelling. and really physical.

if UD is out for game 6, and if west and george play, i think it's coming back to miami for a deciding 7th game.
  • Is UD Udonis Haslem? Is he injured? I didn't see any of game 5, barely much of game 4 either. I heard Wade had his knee drained.
  • not injured; he's been suspended. if you didn't see game five, you missed out. it was (a) amazing, athletically (bron and wade combined on spectacular transition plays, two of which might be among the plays of the year) and (b) physical (pacer rakes wade across the face while making a play on the ball, causing wade to bleed over his eye; haslem then brings both forearms down on that pacer while defending him on a shot-attempt, maybe making a play on the ball; dexter pittman later elbowed the pacer reserve player who made the chocking sign at lebron at the end of game two; and on and on). after the game, larry bird called out his team as playing "soft. s-o-f-t. i'm disappoined. never thought i'd see this." sets up a vicious war in indiana for game six. if the heat are smart, they'll decline the obvious invitation to stay physical, and just keep up the amazing bron/wade transition game. it's been . . . breathtaking for two games (might all end quickly, tho).
  • Interesting. Sounds like an old-school Eastern Conference playoff game... except that it sounds like the scrubs are battling it out instead. Weird.

Well, the NBA finals start in the Western Conference soon, which will be the series to watch. The winner, unfortunately, is also saddled with playing a consolation series against whoever comes out of the East. As much as I enjoy watching okc play, I'm kinda cheering for one final run by s.a.... they play basketball how it's meant to be played.
  • They use peach baskets and the two-handed set shot?

I knew they were old, but wow!

Craig
  • winner, unfortunately, is also saddled with playing a consolation series against whoever comes out of the East.

if bosh is back, and miami is otherwise healthy, heat v. spurs/thunder would be a helluva series!
  • As much as I enjoy watching okc play, I'm kinda cheering for one final run by s.a.... they play basketball how it's meant to be played.

i'm cheering for s.a. cuz i hate watching okc play.

also: i hate fun.
  • whoop whoop.
  • a writer tweeted yesterday that, with the bulls' immediate future in limbo cuz of rose's injury and boston likely rebuilding after this season, indiana -- with their youth, size and physical play -- may emerge as the heat's main competition in the east. could be; they're tough.
  • Joseph Goodman ?@MiamiHeraldHeat : Hidden from media. Top-secret workout for Chris Bosh. Keith Askins being involved points to significant progress.

WHOOP WHOOP
  • Michael Wallace ?@WallaceNBA_ESPN : Apparently, Chris Bosh did some light on-court work at arena tonight as Pat Riley watched. Story up soon on http://ESPN.com

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP !

also, OKC -- SAS is furious. i thought OKC would just flatten SAS, but i guess that old veteran team is cagey.
  • just heard chris sheridan say that spurs will win because they're too deep and too experienced. he asked a good question: when was the last time a "young team" -- like, OKC young (with the core players being 22 or 23 years old) -- won a title?

idk.
  • I dunno. Based on Game 3, not really impressed with either OKC or SAS.

I realize, obv., that the eastern conference champ will be the HEAVY underdog in the Finals, but. . .
  • edited June 2012
    Hard not to be impressed with both Western teams. The Spurs just won 20 games in a row, including the last 10 of the regular season and first 10 in the playoffs. They didn't look great in Game 3 but they were past due for a lousy performance and OKC had a lot to do with it. They have the best coach in the playoffs, the best backcourt, a deep bench, and Tim Duncan. Moreover, I'd take the OKC "Big 3" over the Miami "Big 2 + Bosh" in a heartbeat. Factoring in, of course, that the OKC guys are much younger and have none of the baggage that comes with the bulls-eye Miami painted on their own chests last year. I like Wade, and I liked LeBron until "The Decision," which was as misguided, ham-handed and overblown as any manufactured media event in recent memory. He's still a great player, but I take perverse satisfaction in seeing him fall short of a title after ditching Cleveland (which came out pretty well with Kyrie Irving to build around) to join up with Wade and Bosh in Miami. That ridiculous coming out party they threw last year before they'd even played a game was stupid beyond words.
  • i'll take the heat's big 3 over the thunder's big 3 (assuming harden's the third of OKC's 3). but i like OKC's overall youth and some of their size (ibaka, perk) over miami generally.
  • game 5 -- on both sides of the bracket, but especially the east -- is going to be intense.

(bosh return; lebron's anger over officiating; rondo's "crying heat" comment; immense pressure; wow).
  • hm. bad time for the road team to win its first confernce finals game, with epic game 5 looming in miami.
  • let me just say that, at this time, the miami heat are a failed experiment. they will blow-up the blueprint, dismantle the team, everyone will be fired or resign in disgrace. it is over. sad, really.
  • Well, while I agree they are a failed experiment, I still think they're gonna beat boston. boston is playing way above it's ability right now, and while it is the kind of roll that could possibly last them through the finals, it's also the kind of thing that could drop off at any moment. I still don't trust boston. But those boston players, they definitely have their roles and play them well.
  • edited June 2012
    Not NBA, but sport-interested folk should pay some attention to the Stanley Cup finals, potential final game tonight. The LA Kings have put together a run that is setting all kinds of historic marks. Ten consecutive road victories. First team ever to go up 3-0 in every series in the 7 game format. Possibility of equalling a record 16-2 mark for the whole tournament. Young goaltender sustaining insane save percentages. And they were an 8th seed who made the playoffs by a point or so; came together at the right time. Even as a non-fan of that team, it's quite something to watch.

/digression.
  • Today is the saddest day.

Miami fades; while OKC rises. Tomorrow, Heat will begin the hard process of deciding which pieces of this team to dismantle and trade.
  • I caught the second half of that okc - san atone game. That really is how basketball is meant to be played. The difference in quality between west and east conference finals is dramatic.
  • I never follow basketball. Never.

But...OKC is the very center of my neck of the woods and is the only reason I watched the last couple of games. Well, all I can say is, 'Go Thunder'! I think I've finally caught the fever.
  • so . . . wow.

the media's so funny. after game 5, the heat was a "mess," a "failed experiment," which was poised to "blow it up" after an almost inevitable forthcoming loss in game 6. now, the heat is back to being dominant, and boston is old and overpowered, and the heat are a lock for game 7.

all meaning . . . boston crushes miami in game 7, and miami deals wade/bosh or lebron for dwight howard?

bron and howard anchoring the frontcourt. or wade -- bosh -- howard. just sayin'.
  • That's what miami should've been doing with boston from the start. Like I said, boston isn't very good, not as far as post-season/conference finals teams go. The East is a week conference to start with, and once Rose tore his acl/mcl, that left the heat as the only top team in the East (indiana will be good in a couple years, maybe start challenging the Bulls even). The west's top eight teams are far superior to the east's. By way of beating san antone, okc is this year's nba champs regardless of what happens in the east.
  • i disagree, for two reasons. first, boston is very good. they're just old, and somehow, in this series, they -- especially the all-time amazing kevin garnett -- have been able to turn back the clock. second, lebron's really doing it himself at the moment. wade's had a concerning playoff series, and his 17 points last night was a pretty mild contribution (although he was big in the fourth quarter). bosh has been a huge difference since he returned, as his presence at about 15 feet from the basket draws KG out of the paint, which opens things up for bron. still, bosh is healing; hardly at full strength yet.

if miami's (a) healthy and (b) in attack mode, they can beat okc. i don't really expect it to happen, but wouldn't be the least bit surprised. okc's advantages are its bigs (perk and ibaka), but miami's quick lineups can give bigs problems.
  • yeah, indiana will be good in a few years, if they can hold this core together.
  • almost saturday . . .

lebron-stare-slider-89486_930x340.jpg

. . . game 7, in miami.
  • whoop whoop.

i won't even see the game. a friend of mine, who i debated against in college SO SO MANY YEARS AGO, is in town and i'm meeting him and his wife at a south-beach restaurant. but i'm sure the euphoria/funeral atmosphere surrounding us will let us know who won the game.

lebron's eyes above provide a clue. he's a determined fellow now. if wade is healthy (i'm not convinced), if bosh heals fully (i'm getting convinced) and if lebron is in attack-mode -- and if they can collectively survive tonight (c's are still very good) -- this could be an epic finals. i'd still favor okc, but i don't believe the now conventional-wisdom that the thunder would kill a healthy heat team in the finals.