Awesome Cover Versions . . .

1234568»

Comments

• Yardbirds
  • edited August 2021
    "Killing Floor" an outstanding cover version of the Howlin' Wolf classic by Electric Flag featuring Mike Bloomfield immediately post his stay in the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

• edited August 2021
    Dave Brubeck's version of the The Stranglers song "Golden Brown".

• edited May 2022
    Now this is one that I had never realised was a cover version - "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin.

The original was by Jake Holmes and I had always thought that it was the other way round!

• ^^^The version I grew up with, very popular on the radio and as I recall a very loudly cut 45. ^^^ Must have been many years later before I heard the original.

• edited December 2023
    This was a discussion started by @Brighternow over 10 years ago and I was reminded of it whilst listening to "She's Not There" by The Litter.

"She's Not There" was, of course, made famous by The Zombies and then reinforced by the equally outstanding but very different cover version by Santana. The Litter's 1968 version is also pretty good particularly the instrumental sections.

• Here's the Santana 1977 version from the album "Moonflower"

• edited December 2023
    And another really good version is by Vanilla Fudge from their 1967 s/t album

• I played this version on the show at the end of August.
  • Felt I had to listen to the Al Kooper/Michael Bloomfield/Stephen Stills 1968 album “Super Session” having just listened to the later Al/Michael album (see my post on 24 Hours…”).

And what better track than the Al Kooper/Stephen Stills cover version of Donovan’s “Season Of The Witch”.

AMG says One of the album's highlights is the scintillating cover of "Season of the Witch." There is an undeniable synergy between Kooper and Stills, whose energies seems to aurally drive the other into providing some inspired interaction

• Many years ago, ambient musician Tobias Hellkvist did a cover of Efterklang's lovely "Step Aside" (from 'Tripper').  He never offered it up for sale.  It was on his soundcloud page, but apparently is gone.  Someone uploaded a youtube video of it.  The album cover associated with that video, the song doesn't appear on.  I was recently listening to Tripper and was reminded of Hellkvist's cover version.  There's a glitch in the middle of the Hellvist original that I believe to be a consequence of the upload. I don't recall any glitch on it originally.  Though, Efterklang has plenty on their version.

Here's Hellvist's rendition: 
    Here's the Efterklang original:  https://efterklang.bandcamp.com/track/step-aside-2