What are you listening to right now? (15 Flies in the Marmalade)

Comments

• Back from Paris and the TDF to find a new thread! Had to get this as I was there

• Mg 50 - Peace  Fire album cover

Well, that must have been a pretty good birthday party. See box set thread. Something for everyone, on this board anyway. 

Check this out, it's insane: Urban Pipes by Erwan Keravec (bagpipes)
  • edited July 2016
    After a bit of searching . . .
    For some reason the image can't hold the link if it is bigger than the MB window.
    Instead it brings you to the jpeg.

httpsencrypted-tbn0gstaticcomimagesqtbnANd9GcSN-jy-eTJGF0WyzO7tc7NukU6d73tLJA7b53xQopbPr39JJ0AK1A

Strange and intriguing, Thanks @Germanprof

ETA: these two albums runs pretty much on the same frequency.
  • edited July 2016
    I had the same problem when I was exploring Marta Sainz from that Sable album with If, Bwana. The preview would work but when I posted it, only the album cover showed when I clicked on it. That happens occasionally when I've clicked on other posts and I just thought the poster had made a mistake with the linking. I see my posts from July 12 don't work.
    At any rate, I really enjoyed the SKIES, guitar tribute for Ornette music (AL 016) with Noel Akchote, Richard Bonnet, Guillermo Bazzola & David Paredes.
    I look forward to exploring more from this interesting label - Alina Records.

Speaking of Marta Sainz, I also found this at FMA.

the investigation of sound has led marta sainz to develop her work beyond using just her voice – the butoh dance practice has also been fundamental to her search for and within “chaos.”

using both her voice and body, her work refers to both elements of german expressionism as well as artaud’s theater of cruelty. she seeks to create an emotional shock for the spectator, as they are confronted with their own experience of her performance, without implying that the musical content or performance have any specific meaning or intent itself.

Marta Sainz - Del Sol St. Art Gallery
    http://martasainz-info.blogspot.ca/
  • NYOP at Bandcamp

Tout Croche will forever be : Stephen Harvey & Dominic Thibault
    released October 5, 2013 

CREDITS 
    All music improvised, composed and produced by Tout Croche except Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) written by Neil Young and Jeff Blackburn 

Drums on Dead or Fade Away & Burning Mountains by Nicolas Bernier
    Drums on Hey Hey, My My by Rodrigo Constanzo 
  • More NYOP

Tout Croche would like to thank all the artists for their amazing contribution to this release; you have made two music freaks stupid with happiness!
    released February 1, 2014 

• A little something before listening to the Bang on a Can 2016 Summer Marathon later (today from 4pm - 10pm Eastern Standard Time).

• edited July 2016

Simon Bainton - Visiting Tides

I love it when this happens. I bought this amid a welter of other stuff a little while back, gave it a first listen or two, and then it cycled off my immediate attention list. Tonight I just got back to giving it a much more careful listen - on my second consecutive time through right now, first on headphones and now on speakers. And it is quite delicious! I love it when I (re)discover gems among stuff I already have. It's like finding free money down the back of the sofa.
  • edited July 2016
    and more...

The Silent Howl is a record label & music publisher promoting daring sonic experimentations through audio releases, scores and videos. We are based between Southampton, UK and Montreal, Canada. Bandcamp

Ps- Terrific noise. I'm really glad to remember how great it is to spend some time listening to an album that just flows on through. I probably get a lot more done on the rotation but it's rained at the right times here and I'm getting used to slowing down some.
  • edited July 2016
    Well, I'll start off this Sunday morning with one from the SFL (still on page 7 -I keep adding as I'm subtracting)

Jonas Reinhardt's 'Ganymede' is an experimental science fiction film set on the solar system's largest moon. On Ganymede, it is thought that volcanic vents supply the necessary power to fuel life. This film imagines unknown extra-terrestrial life forms engaged in ritualistic aquatic dance beneath a sky of ice. The resulting way of life is depicted as fluctuating pulses of energy abstracted beyond conventional consciousness.
    released March 4, 2014  - Bandcamp
    Thanks to @Germanprof another terrific listen.
  • edited July 2016
    I also got this one on July 21 and it is now no longer listed for Emusic Canada.
    Spooky.

Helping listeners to escape reality—which has been known to grate, on occasion—has long been a noble aim of many musicians. One of the most effective ways to do that is to create imaginary soundtracks for impossible science-fiction films, the darker and more un-Hollywood-like, the better. Another method is to take inspiration from great works of architecture—which, as Goethe cogently noted, “is frozen music.” The latter route is used by Brooklyn producer Jonas Reinhardt (aka Jesse Reiner) on his sixth album, Palace Savant. Bandcamp

Thanks again. 

• edited July 2016
    The Complete RCA Victor Small Group Recordings

eta, Have often wondered about "Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen" - How could a German song be so popular from well before to well after the WWII years? As I should have realized from the Goodman recording with its klezmer break, it's not German, it's Yiddish

In Nazi Germany it was also a hit until its Jewish origins were discovered, at which point it was promptly banned.

• edited July 2016
    An extension of the Live/Dead concerts of about a year before.

• One Night in America

This live CD, originally recorded in 1981 but never officially released, captures the band's unique mix of progressive punk and power pop in a tight, sometimes messy, energetic performance. Featuring classic tunes such as 'A Million Miles Away' and 'How Long Will It Take', the band also included a few covers such as The Kinks' 'Come On Now' and The Outsiders' 'Time Won't Let Me', here in all their raw, live glory. Though their fame was short-lived, The Plimsouls definitely carved out a niche in the early 80's. Shrewd songwriting and straight ahead guitar rock appealed to a throng of new wavers looking for music with a little more balls, and has influenced numerous bands ever since. Fully re-mastered with a bonus track. Oglio. 2005.

• edited August 2016
    Catching up from the SFL

Emusic

ps- Thanks, I really enjoyed the listen.

Guitar – David First (tracks: B1, B3)
    Synthesizer [Buchla 100] – David First

• which led me to some things new...

On Études for Acoustic Guitar, First twists and bends notes from his steel-string acoustic guitar, an instrument traditionally associated with American folk, country and blues music. And in fact, those genres are central to First's explorations here, constituting portions of a palette that also encompasses jazz and Indian classical music. The result is a series of stylistic hybrids in which an expansive tonality is propelled with rhythmic authority. The effect on the listener is similar to that of tape manipulation, or to the challenges posed to the inner ear by Phil Niblock's shifting dissonances. It's almost as if the room itself speeds up and slows down as First performs in it, anchoring himself in three humble dimensions and letting time do what it will. The "Same Animal, Different Cages" series serves as the latest chapter in the oeuvre of a musician whose defining quality is arguably his curiosity. David First asks the right questions, and there are no wrong answers. 
    Bandcamp
  • New old

Here’s what others said about the World Casio Quartet:

First’s World Casio Quartet paints the air with sweet-sour chordal splashes that dissolve slowly into transparent harmonics. First describes these pieces as “justly intoned compositions that are not tied to any one tonal center,” but others may call them Martian traffic jams, and tuneful ones at that—Mark Dery/Keyboard Magazine Feb ‘88

David First writes for “lovingly restored” Casios, but the microtones, hair-raising pitch-bendings, and scintillating rhythms he wrenches from them are earning him a reputation as one of New York’s most innovative composers—Kyle Gann/Village Voice 11/13/91

This was something unexpected and truly different: pulsing electronic textures that derived their rhythm from the beating patterns of closely-tune pitches – as if Alvin Lucier and Philip Glass had gone on a blind date to CBGBs…David put the beat in beating patterns—composer Nic Collins on the WCQ in his liners notes to First’s “Privacy Issues” CD - Pogus Productions
  • @confused - Wow ! gotta check those David First out . . . Thanks.

released July 30, 2016 as name your price:
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga0231650757_14jpg
  • @confused - Wow ! gotta check those David First out . . . Thanks.

Well, right back at you. That was quite the exercise work out! It's been fun going back through the SFL and finding that there's new additions. I hope it doesn't take me 2 years to get to Spectrescapes 3. Still working my way through page 7.

Something old for a chilly grey and drizzly morning here too.

• The Range - Potential

Just back from a little vacation; some of it without any signal; all of it without much time.
  • edited August 2016
    and something new

It's also NYOP at Bandcamp
  • Mal Waldron The Complete Trio Recordings 1958-1960 Mal4  Trio  Impressions  Left Alone album cover

Speaking, as we were, of good multi-disc sets at eMusic
  •  
    - the latest danish viral youtube hit . . .
    (4.679.305 views)

And this young lad I ran to not so long ago with a huge talent and a burning passion for what he's doing.

- He is really very very good !
  • Night Moves - Pennied Days
  • edited August 2016
    Just in at Soundcloud:

• Deastro- Keeper's
  • edited August 2016
    El Libro De Los rboles Mgicos
    Federico Durand

@Doofy, thanks for the Waldron tip.
    ETA, ah turns out I already have the contents of the second disk.
  • Moondog - Moondog
This discussion has been closed.