What are you listening to right now? (15 Flies in the Marmalade)

Comments

• Wild Beasts - Boy King

Craig
  • edited August 2016
    Well, another thunderstorm's moving in.
    From the SFL - 2014

Eric Thielemans - Sprang

from Bandcamp -
    Adventurous Belgian percussionist Eric Thielemans makes a fairly unusual entry into the Miasmah catalogue with the surprisingly positive sounding album Sprang. Thielemans has actually appeared on the label earlier - as guest percussionist on Kreng´s debut album L´Autopsie Phenomenal De Dieu. Although you can recognize the sound on this record, the main focus of Sprang is to revert to the pure joy of sound experimentation and letting go of your foothold. 

Thielemans's previous exercises in expanding singular ideas and rituals in the two genre-bending and theoretical albums, A Snare Is A Bell (Ultra Eczema, 2008) & EARR Plays A Snare Is A Bell (Sub Rosa, 2012), inevitably leads to Sprang. Embracing the bliss of working freely with his many percussion tools, he creates 11 pieces that are both instinctual and industrial. His impulses evoke a calm yet alive atmosphere where there is always movement. The tones of dripping water, settling dew, and flourishing plants of spring are juxtaposed with unexpected sounds of motion, of factory equipment, and gears turning. 

Though Sprang is a solo percussion album, its detail and depth is something wholly unique. Thielemans broadens his theory that there is always more to hear, more depth to interpret, and a way for the listener to add their own elements and create something new. A welcome addition to the Miasmah catalogue, whose slogan "music for scenes and places" maybe never have been more spot on.

Thanks. The corn's about 2.5m or 8 feet or so and started to tassel out last Monday. (new variety this year - Honey Select Triplesweet) Sorry, I just had to sneak that in. 
    Plus No. 2 from that Kuba Kapsa Ensemble came up on the rotation earlier and made me just stop and pay attention. Wow! reminded me what a terrific album it came from. Thanks again.

Ps- Wow again! What a perfect fit for the garden.
  • edited August 2016
    ...led me to this

Mar 20, 1916 - according to emusic (1 track)
    or 
    April 9, 2016 - according to Bandcamp (2 tracks)
    With Aural Mist I wanted to explore the quietude and silence (if there exists such audible phenomenon) of spaces. Starting from a climatological/sensual imagination and lens, with an exploration of the quiet sounds of the “point zero” of an acoustical space. I zoomed in into the sonic spectrum of the quiet. Then re-inserting these captured sounds into that same space and adding extra layers of sound using my bass drum, objects and voice. 

I found Stadslimiet, an artist’s run art space in the centre of Antwerp that is an open space in the centre of the old town, facing the river, where I decided to clear out the space completely. This so the volume of the room is able to resonate freely and speak for itself. Along with my ears I brought my bass drum, some microphones, a field recorder and a set of headphones. All I needed to do was get ready to listen. 

The first sound canvas was recorded with high quality DPA microphones, mounted into my bass drum, which was placed into the centre of the space. The recordings were made on a quiet Monday night, somewhere at the end of December around 4 am when traffic is low and the city comes to rest. 

We only hear hums and buzzes, birds and the occasional car. 
    A sonic spectrum, made out of the outside city sounds, is seeping in. 
    The sound inside the empty space and the microclimate that was captured by microphones in my bass drum went straight into an Audio Devices ambient recorder. 

A week later I re-entered the space. It was raining outside, with a lot of humidity in the air. I played the first recorded sound layer into the space through the PA and started to record sounds to these layers using my bass drum and some objects like a frame of a bike wheel with a violin bow and my voice. The end result of the work is an edit and mix of multiple layers of recorded sounds, moving from the quiet layers to the played sounds and back.
  • edited August 2016
     Excersising my patriotism:

Lukas Graham spend his childhood in the Freetown Christiania in Copenhagen.
    - His intonation and phrasing as a singer as well as his skills as a songwriter is world class.

The video is partly footage from Christiania.

ETA: The guy together with Lukas about 2:30 in, is Stig Møller from the legendary danish hippie band from the sixties,  Steppeulvene .
  • edited August 2016
  • edited August 2016
     Noise plays Burtner album cover
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga3860939837_14jpg
  • edited August 2016
    Double Handsome Dragons

“We create at night in a decaying unit of breeze blocks. We drink tea out of dirty mugs and wish that our hands were warmer. We have to fight daily with potted plants and lawnmowers to get to our instruments. Sometimes they attack us. We have scars. We have a sledgehammer - we smash up old washing machines. The skip is not our friend. We play four different kinds of music at the same time using instruments we do not care for. We made a Studio, we named it Studio Terror. It is yellow. We are safe and warm there. We like to travel to far away lands to play shows for decent, handsome people. We dance. We enjoy shouting in peoples faces.”

• edited August 2016

Release date: 23 September 2016 (Wow!)

Release date:23 September 2016

• After The Gold Rush
    Inspired to play by seeing this in a post by Dr Mutex in another thread!
  •  httpsf4bcbitscomimga4130447086_14jpg

Why Did Absence of Light Disturb Him Less Than Presence of Noise?

• edited August 2016
    The Stone Roses- The Stone Roses

I guess the wrong Madchester album for today- wish I had some 808 State!
  • edited August 2016
    Grateful Dead -1976-08-02, Colt Park, Hartford CT

I somehow missed the date for the two August '76 shows. Oh well, better late.
  • Karen Cooper Complex - Shinjuku Birdwalk
  • Pram - Telemetric Melodies

From the Domino drip if memory serves.  Not something I would otherwise purchase, but it's quite enjoyable.

Craig
  • Vektroid- STARCALC
  • Pony Bwoy - s/t

Craig
  • Rise Up by Dr Lonnie Smith 2009
    A very good album.
  • edited August 2016
    Another storm moving in...

Marc Manning - Uneasy Calm

from Bandcamp
    recorded on delano st in san francisco 2008-2009 and at henry cowel state park

released October 29, 2010 

music and recording by marc manning, mastering by Yann Novak. thanks to Derek Godat at ultra hard gel recordings.

tags: experimental dark experimental folk folk noir psychedelic mush San Francisco

ps- Excellent, another guitar player to add to the list or one of those tags I suppose.

• edited August 2016
    and something newer...

from Bandcamp
    For much of the new century, San Francisco artist, painter and musician Marc Manning has been releasing fuzzy, dreamy soundscapes on labels like Sleep Genius, Dragons Eye Recordings and Tract Records. The Stars are Burning Out is a dark, beautiful collection of music marked by distant voices, washes of guitar and searching feedback. 
    released April 21, 2015
  • I'm not sure who to thank for putting me on to Yann Novak. The SFL that put me on to Marc Manning. Thanks to all of you. I should really be on page six by now.

from 2007
    Dragon's Eye Recordings is pleased to announce the release of Pairings, the first full length collaboration between Marc Manning (Heavy Lids) and Yann Novak. Pairings is an exploration into a now standard formula, a traditional instrument processed by laptop. Novak and Manning choose to use the formula to explore their often similar emotional states resulting in six improvisations divided into pairs by instrument. The album moves gently through melancholic drones and ambient washes, ending in a soft flurry of fractured melodies. Pairings showcases the tender relationships between songs, instruments and musicians.

•   

Kaada/Patton - Bacteria Cult

• edited August 2016
     Former Legendary Pink Dots fiddle player:

Patrick Q Wright : Sculptor 2

• edited August 2016

Moshimoss - Hidden Tape No. 66

Emusic and my weakness have driven me into taking a break and placing my account on hold. There have been so many two-for-one booster pack sales recently and I am so unable to resist them that it has become a full time job listening to new music and I feel like I have overeaten. I am already enjoying being able to go looking for old things already in my collection.
This discussion has been closed.