What are you listening to right now? (15 Flies in the Marmalade)

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Electric Jalaba - Merhaba

psychedelic gnawa mojo

soulcry seventies plaintext

• edited August 2016

- Or : 

La Société des Timides à la Parade des Oiseaux

httpsf4bcbitscomimga3251248406_14jpg
    - More from the french "Weirdos Par Excellence"

la stpo

• Well, thanks for that La Stpo reminder. I'll have to put all those ones from the samplers  back into the rotation as well. Enjoyed them all. Now, back to that Damon Smith.

Bandcamp
    from Discogs

Credits

Liner Notes: 

A miracle is defined in some circles as an act of god, an amazing event with supernatural overtones that involves transcendence, and a divine intervention. In other words, a miracle could be another name for an excursion in sound and silence, as instigated by this quad alliance of Alvin Fielder, Dave Dove, Damon Smith and Jason Jackson. They operate within the world of creative music (any music that procreates itself in performance to create an entity greater than its seed). Regardless of style, it is informed by all music that exists, known and unknown. Most musicians don’t like labels. They are more concerned with playing music than boxing it in a corner called style. The language is called freedom, the freedom to use all the sounds, all the rhythms, melodies, motifs, textures and colors that exist. Using them the way they hear, responding, interfacing, breathing together. The goal of this music is to heal, to uplift and inspire the listener, to activate their higher self. In doing so, the world is changed. Dave Dove music, Alvin Fielder music, Damon Smith music, Jason Jackson music, all spontaneous composers who have committed their lives to the music. What are the rules to becoming a master improviser? Practice one’s musical instrument until it is an extension of our muscle memory and part of our internal audio systems; training our sensing to know when to step on the gas and when to let the wind take us on an uncharteded flight. The master musicians soon learn that anyone can practice their instruments to almost perfect technique. The key to the greatest beauty and truth in life and music is not to be afraid to step into the unknown. It is in the unknown sound world that the greatest gifts are found. In other words, it is in the spontaneous open musical improvisations that we may reap the most benefits. This is what they live and die for. For the last fifteen years Nameless Sound, an organization spearheaded by trombonist/educator/mover and shaker Dave Dove, has brought the core players of improvised music to concertize and interact with his community of the young, the old, and the disenfranchised in Houston Texas; international musicians like Kidd Jordan, Joe McPhee, Peter Bröztmann, Hamid Drake, Roscoe Mitchell, to name a few. Dave Dove does not draw attention to himself. He quietly goes about the business of raising money for his organization Nameless Sound and teaching workshops in all kinds of schools in the Houston area, including a battered women’s home. Dave is also one of the most committed and serious musicians playing today. He strongly maintains his own voice within the pantheon of modern trombonists. He knows how to cast magical spells through years of listening and placing pieces of sound and silence in the right places for that particular moment. Every musical improvisation is indeed a sacred event, whether it be a solo or a shake rattle and roll orchestral piece. It all centers on the love of music joy of sound to paraphrase Mr. Ellington and Mr. Ra. The bassist Damon Smith has evolved into an intriguing musician with endless ideas and enthusiasm. He has been able to touch and explore many areas of stringiness: harmonics, light colors, corrugated pops and slaps as well as electronics and sizzling, dancing pizzicato work. The saxophonist Jason Jackson fulfills his role perfectly as a textural foil to the strings, trombone and drums; getting that searching full palette sound using the horn from the bottom to the top, at times evoking that glorious sound connected to pure creativity. Freedom is ringing, the freedom to play what he wants, when he feels it is appropriate to explore a particular area of sound. If you listen deeply you can hear all kinds of voices in the timbres of his sound. A perfect line partner and blend for the trombone, once again extending the tradition, bringing it up to date; while at the same time making it ageless, which is all part of the larger picture. Thank you Jason for your contribution to the music. When I listen to this music I only hear this music. It reminds me of itself, it is human, it is alive. The point person for the quartet is the veteran Alvin Fielder, one of the rare individuals who are part of the living history of the new music. Alvin is a walking encyclopedia of musical knowledge and drum language, having played on Roscoe Mitchell’s 1966 revolutionary recording Sound! He has composed many compositions dedicated to other drummers, including Max Roach and Ed Blackwell, and made major contributions to the wonderful music of the saxophonists Charles Brackeen and Kidd Jordan, to name a few. Al Fielder is a probing percussionist, very familiar with all the traditions from early jazz to the sounds of ritual, a scientist of sound and invention. Al Fielder lives for the music, and continues to find life in the community of Jackson, Mississippi, organizing and inspiring younger musicians to do the right thing. He continues to keep playing, stepping and finding new ways to pronounce the word freedom. Last and not least is the music itself, waiting for you to listen to it so it can give itself to you. This music is also looking for a home inside the listener, inside the soul and spirit. Open up to open up to open up this music is Now not yesterday or tomorrow, it is in this moment captured but not held captive. 

William Parker July, 2013

• edited August 2016
    Your'e welcome, as Always (and @confused ) ;)

City of Vorticity (with soloists): Al Margolis (If, Bwana) – violin; Alan Zimmerman - percussion, prepared hammer dulcimer; Peter Zummo - trombone, didgeridoo; Tom Hamilton – electronic sound environment. This dynamically changing “aural score” can also serve as the foundation for a group of improvising performers. In the first track, we hear one version of this with soloists Al Margolis, Alan Zimmerman, and Peter Zummo.
  • Beastie Boys - Check Your Head

then

Phish - 1995-06-26, Saratoga Springs, NY
  • rostasi said:
    Electric Jalaba - Merhaba

psychedelic gnawa mojo

Hot stuff !
  • Bill Frisell - Have a Little Faith
  • edited August 2016
    The Feelies - December 14, 1977

Thanks again Doofy!

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2012/10/04/the-feelies-cbgb-nyc-december-14-1977/
  • We didn't really "need" new versions of these tunes, 
    but they are enjoyably well-done versions.

• edited August 2016
    Centres
    Ian William Craig - Centres

The cover art was part of what drew me to his A Turn of Breath, the first album of his I listened to. On this new one I am having to get past the cover art, which does not attract me at all. The music is good, though! 
  • edited August 2016

• edited August 2016

“Frank Eulogy” for voice and disklavier (MIDI-driven piano)

The text is a mildly scrambled (Markov first order on the word level) version of a collage of Frank Zappa quotes.
    The disklavier is entirely driven by the voice sound via audio-to-MIDI in MaxMSP.

This is a demo recording, done with a virtual piano. It was submitted to be performed at the 2016 International Computer Music Conference, but not accepted.

• Arkansas Traveler

So great
  • edited August 2016

0 is a french band directed by Stéphane Garin (percussion), Joël Merah (acoustic guitar) and Sylvain Chauveau (acoustic guitar, glockenspiel), whose line-up can change for each project with the addition of regular guests. The trio of Merah, Garin and Chauveau have spend two years composing, recording and mixing the seven pieces of the Soñando album (dreaming in Spanish).This chamber folk suite is entirely played with acoustic instruments (guitar, glockenspiel) and small pieces of metal collected by Stéphane Garin for their special sound and tuning. In quiet spaces, this repertoire can even be performed without any microphone or amplification. 
    The result looks like an original mix of rhythmic patterns assembled togetehr like the pieces of a puzzle. 

Le Motel - Oka

OKA, which means “listen” in Bayaka language, is a metaphorical journey between various worldwide tribes. Starting and closing with a lullaby from a mother to her child, the 9 tracks depict a day of passing by rain dances, odes to forest spirits and water, child’s plays, dugout canoe trips, hunting and gathering songs and vodun ceremonies... 
    This project brings ethnic sounds from different communities out of Africa, the Caribbean, Oceania and electronics together and combines worldwide atmospheres, blending current sonorities and ancient samples. 
    Le Motel spent years collecting samples from all around the world (mostly ethnic music related to ceremonies), field recording from the jungle as well as utilising sounds from his own environment. He aims to connect those different cultures and periods within his music. 

• There's some new(ish) Andreas Soderstrom that's been posted on the Kning Disk bandcamp page.  I'm going nuts over it.  This is the one that's totally gotten my attention...

Andreas Soderstrom - "Den lycklige vinnaren"

Here's a video for an album track...

I'm not gonna lie, there are times this album is so beautiful it almost brings tears for how happy this music makes me.

Here it is on Bandcamp - https://andreassoderstrom.bandcamp.com/album/den-lycklige-vinnaren

• Nonsemble - "Practical Mechanics"

I don't know how to explain this band or who to compare them to.

On Bandcamp - https://nonsemble.bandcamp.com/

• edited August 2016
    jonahpwll said:

Nonsemble - "Practical Mechanics"

I don't know how to explain this band or who to compare them to.

On Bandcamp - https://nonsemble.bandcamp.com/

Nonsemble is a chamber group which draws on eclectic musical influences to fill a space somewhere between the conservatoire and the underground. It tips its hat equally to Mogwai and Ligeti; Autechre and Philip Glass.

Philip Glass, Yes - but he other three ?  . . . not really.

Go Seigen vs. Fujisawa Kuranosuke is a 30 minute work for chamber septet, using the moves of 1953 championship game of Go as stimulus for harmonic, rhythmic and melodic material. It’s an experiment in extracting musical ideas from abstract patterns and sequences.

- Johann Johannsson ?  . . . In any event, this is a postlude to an album that seems pretty amazing,

Playlist

With vocals, from their latest album
  • edited August 2016

and just in at Soundcloud from Tuxedo Moon violinist:

• edited August 2016
    Well, all in all, just one terrific evening tending the garden and enjoying the rotation.
    This came on just as I was winding it down. Seeing that Claudia Quintet pop up again was clearly a sign. Thanks!
    Once again thanks to Mike Baggetta for suggestions from this interview.

Lots of exploring to do thanks to all of you, what an interesting mix you've been listening to. 

ps. I really enjoyed the listen, here's to the accordion, fits so well.
  • edited August 2016
     Plateforme 1 album cover

Just in at Soundcloud:

Devin Sarno: Electric Bass, Loops, Samples, Keyboards

Recorded July 2, 2016
    Dialogue from: "US Human Rights Network conference call regarding Domestic Torture & Repression - Sept, 2010"

Originally released on "Vol. 4" compilation (Aug 2016) by Completely Gone Recordings: archive.org/details/cgrvol4

• edited August 2016
    jonahpwll said:

There's some new(ish) Andreas Soderstrom that's been posted on the Kning Disk bandcamp page.  I'm going nuts over it.  This is the one that's totally gotten my attention...

Andreas Soderstrom - "Den lycklige vinnaren"

Here's a video for an album track...

I'm not gonna lie, there are times this album is so beautiful it almost brings tears for how happy this music makes me.

Here it is on Bandcamp - https://andreassoderstrom.bandcamp.com/album/den-lycklige-vinnaren

And here it is on emusic -
    http://www.emusic.com/album/andreas-soderstrom/den-lycklige-vinnaren/16014403/
    Thanks, I'm always happy to be introduced to another guitar player.
    ps- Wow! another one of those albums that has a terrific flow. This requires more exploring.
  • edited August 2016
    I'll start here 

Feb. 24/2016 - 2 tracks 98 cents Canadian.
    If The Sun Goes Up Well - What a terrific way to start the day.
    ps - it sure was, now it's light enough to head out to the garden and pick slugs out of the kale. This is today's rotation
This discussion has been closed.