Emusic Beta

Comments

• I refreshed OK on May 27, US.
  • @BrighternowYes, it is called "Save for Later". Hope yours got saved - That's why I printed mine out. Of course now I can't find the printout...

• I did get Refreshed on the 20th, and I have a Save For Later - it's the second of the Lists for me.  It has a number reflecting it's actual content for the first time in years, and my other assorted Lists seem to be OK and include things that are no longer available on eMu.  The My Music part seems to be anything but inclusive.  This is approaching a dog can't hunt level, and a trip behind the barn may not be far off.  The only thing that made me happy so far is the new Michael Schenker album, Fest, being available.
  • My Save For Later list appears to have transferred over...

• I got the big old refresh today.

• I got my refresh as well. My SFL list got transferred, although it was very light (I dumped a huge amount before leaving the old site). What is weird is my (relatively) light "My Music" list - it's kinda scarce, even when figuring in the labels now gone songs (I guess that I could upload them?). Today I searched and found a purchase, now (or still) available as a selection, but it did not show up when I tried to complete the search, nor is it in my list of "My Music" purchases. How did that happen?
  • Having a few moments to explore this morning I find there are numerous things currently available on eMu which I know I've purchased but their album pages do not reflect that fact, they are not in My Music, and that's just the few I can think of readily.  This is how long now they've had this version running?  Not to mention my Classical SFL is full of sets and boxes I can't delete that are labels no longer on eMu, just to piss me off I guess.  It's working.
  • edited May 2017
    @BigD-Bluez  some of those might be albums whose distributor has changed. They would not show though still available. If you bought them you could upload them.
  • edited June 2017
    Here is the weird thing I am finding on my My Music. A relatively recent purchase (as I was reminded by its mention on another thread) was Zorn's Andras: The Book of Angels 28. It does not appear in My Music, which it should because I bought it maybe two months ago and it is still available. However, if I search for it in My Music, it turns up as a search result. But if I click on the search result it takes me to an album page that will not load. And if I search for Nova Express Quintet it shows up as a search result in My Music, but again if I click on the result I get a blank page.

It appears that My Music does not know whether the Tzadik albums are included or not. This also appear to affect a considerable number of other albums, not on Tzadik. (I am curious: does anyone have Tzadik albums appearing correctly in My Music?)

Others might try the following experiment:

Search for an album or artist that does not appear in My Music but should be there (e.g. because recently purchased). Does it appear as a search result? If so, it seems that it is in fact indexed in your My Music. But click on the search result - do you get a blank page? (One telltale in the artist search results seems to be the lack of a thumbnail image next to the search result). Then it seems it is not properly authenticated or linked or something in your My Music.

In my case I think this is a good number of artists/albums.
  • I wonder if Emusic's owners will be paying our dental bills what with all the gnashing of teeth?
    My own; "I'm going to stay relaxed about all this and see how things turn out."
    Could fairly easily slip into: "Why am I paying £40 a month every month when the whole Cloud concept is anathema to me, and the change has brought zero benefits?"
    Even the file names instead of being '01 title' '02 title' etc are now '01 01 title' etc.
    Hey Ho! Happy Listening etc.
  • My philosophy is still that My Music is something I didn't have a month ago and don't depend on for any significant life function, and emusic still basically means cheap music for what they have. So: shrug. It's a bigger deal for me that they fix the broken labels (Harmonia Mundi) and albums (like the middle volume of the three-volume Guglielmo Vivaldi set).

But yes, My Music seems to be kind of broken.
  • Hey GP - I did a search in My Music for the Book of Angels - I purchased a few of them when Tzadik first showed up. I can see the 8 that I've purchased, but the only one that I can select and see (and that lives in My Music without the search is the one I purchased this weekend. The others come up with the blank page. And they don't show up as already purchased when viewing them in Browse Music. The recent purchase shows up as "album added". I'm generally careful when making purchases, so I won't get caught with a double purchase, but there are still problems with the new site. 
  • My philosophy is still that My Music is something I didn't have a month ago and don't depend on for any significant life function, and emusic still basically means cheap music for what they have. So: shrug. It's a bigger deal for me that they fix the broken labels (Harmonia Mundi) and albums (like the middle volume of the three-volume Guglielmo Vivaldi set).

Yup that's my positive view. But as I refuse to pour over the details hour after hour I'm not certain how much is unavoidable (changing distro. / label deals) and how much is due to for whatever reason to the fact that this new site was advertised W-A-Y before anyone should have known about it as a Beta site; and then it was compounded (due to management pressure?) to go live before they were half ready. Surely the legal stuff (distro. deals et al.) should have been in place even before the tech got smoothed out?
    I know first line support won't have the answers but the reactive rather than proactive nature of all this just speaks corporate bollocks. What a surprise.
    All of which equals "Get it while it's going!"
    My last comment on this tonight it's been a long day and I don't want to boor folk.
    Yr pal
    Dave (the other, other one)

• edited May 2017

Oh yes,

Searched for Colin Stetson (5 albums in my library, 1 purchased may.3) no results.

Searched for Stetson - bingo ! - 2 albums where none of them is available anymore (Warfare 1 and 2)

Other Stetson search results: the Sadies, Akos Rozmann and Mika Vainio

This is almost funny

ETA: Search for Colin - nothing

ETA 2: the search seems to be sensitive to capital letters in the first word.

• I doubt they aim to fix it either, as the recent marketing hypes "uploading all your music." I'll use it from time to time, as I did the old Music Cloud.

I am actually looking into uploading the bulk of my library to Microsoft OneDrive - mostly for offsite backup than anything, but you can stream it too (up to 50K tracks, I think). You get a bunch of storage space these days with an MS Office subscription.

• And then Microsoft change their T&C and you are left with nothing... Sorry I did say I'd shut up.

• @djh Good point, as for any of the "Cloud" products. Most of my music is already at Amazon, where the rent is trivially cheap (but the app is all but useless). The MS option is paid for, and they claim you can sync your collection using their 'Groove' app.

In any case, Amazon or MS more likely to be a viable long-term solution than eMusic - ! Of course goes without saying there are other/better options for offsite file backup...
  • I download, back up to my own hard disk. Lots of my E Music collection has come though short on album tracks and although its handy for some of the more obscure stuff which I may download again, its not the feature which I would use much.
  •  Lots of my E Music collection has come though short on album tracks

Agreed Lowlife. I'd say perhaps 10-15% of my music has incomplete albums. But actually that doesn't worry me at the moment, I've got back-ups on external drives, I rarely use My Music to play music - I've got all my my music on iTunes on my computer and if I want to play from the computer I use that. Otherwise I'll use my iPod. Like GP I am much more concerned about lack of labels, but also releases on labels already there, something I thought was going to end. I decided against a booster (sorry Extra Credit!) in the sale, as I am not sure what I'd spend it on now.

• edited June 2017
    During the Beta trial I downloaded a couple of albums from Domino, and added a couple more to my Wish List. I just tried to download one, but can't as Domino is now not available in the UK at emusic,even though a UK label (that, of course, maybe why). I regret not getting it then, but I assumed that in the new world of emusic Domino was coming back to the UK. How wrong I was.... It rmains on my Wish List, as there is no delete function yet.
  • I decided against a booster (sorry Extra Credit!) in the sale, as I am not sure what I'd spend it on now.
    This is a point that if emusic still reads this thread they should be giving some attention to. The fact that most the items I want to buy next are still showing as unavailable or are on broken labels also limited my willingness to buy extra credit this time around.
  • edited June 2017
    Whilst I was on the Beta trial Christian Scott's Ruler Rebel was released and on the old emusic but not the beta. I couldn't download from there but assumed once the switch happened it would then be available to me. I'm still waiting. That is just one example of many jazz releases we are still waiting for, often, but not always, on labels that are there. SF Jazz Collective released their 'Miles Davis' album mid February - we are still waiting. There are 3 or 4 new releases from Smoke Sessions, one has been put on but not the others. I have contacted emusic, but no real answer given. It is a concern that they are pushing the indie labels at the expense of, eg, jazz, folk, blues and World Music labels. Before going away in two weeks I need to download another 80 tracks. I've already downloaded 5 albums from my Wish List today. I think I'd be downloading 'borderline' purchases if I had to download another 7 or 8 albums today
  • Thirded. Ive been crazy on the booster packs of late but doubt I'll bother until the catalogue has been sorted properly.
  • @greg Somewhere in the beta time, it was specifically mentioned that 'Ruler Rebel' wouldn't be making the jump. Happy to say I got it, and like it a lot. It is part of an ongoing project, I saw an announcement that next part is coming out soon.

I share your frustration with missing jazz labels/albums, and also suspect that they are focusing on the indie/pop people first. Wish they would just say so, if that's the case
  • Thanks Doofy. Because I'd joined the final Beta trial I couldn't download from the old site, so I've obviously missed that one.
  • Lots of 1631 Recordings albums are not fully available to download, seen this quite a lot on the site now.
  • I have 9 albums in my SFL list. As of this morning two of them couldn't be downloaded. Now all of them are showing as "full album unavailable". I can play previews of most of them, they are from a variety of different labels. Anyone else finding this? All have been on my SFL for between 2 to 8 days only. Frankly I'm getting tired of this.
  • edited June 2017
    Same here - not all albums are unavailable, but on a quick look at least two that I added to the wish list yesterday that were available then have become unavailable. Time for a snottier email to CS I think, this is starting to feel kind of silly, especially given its randomness (e.g. A three album set on the same label and the middle volume only shows as unavailable). I am not sure how we are supposed to shop meaningfully in the current environment. It's like walking into a store where there is a random chance that any item you pick up and take to the checkout will actually be for sale, but you have no way of knowing ahead of time without wasting the time walking round the store.

At this point I don't really care that much about whether My Music is working, but the ability to actually buy the albums on the site that one has placed on one's wish list seems kind of basic, and is stretching my patience also, especially as they seem unable to fix albums, new broken ones are appearing, and the timeline is stretching into months since specific albums were reported as needing to be fixed.
  • Same here - not all albums are unavailable, but on a quick look at least two that I added to the wish list yesterday that were available then have become unavailable. Time for a snottier email to CS I think, this is starting to feel kind of silly, especially given its randomness (e.g. A three album set on the same label and the middle volume only shows as unavailable). I am not sure how we are supposed to shop meaningfully in the current environment. It's like walking into a store where there is a random chance that any item you pick up and take to the checkout will actually be for sale, but you have no way of knowing ahead of time without wasting the time walking round the store.

At this point I don't really care that much about whether My Music is working, but the ability to actually buy the albums on the site that one has placed on one's wish list seems kind of basic, and is stretching my patience also, especially as they seem unable to fix albums, new broken ones are appearing, and the timeline is stretching into months since specific albums were reported as needing to be fixed.
    I'm no good at this sort of email but if you do send one please feel free to quote me. I'm getting to the point where if I didn't have a "grandfathered" account with all the extra d/l privileges I would be out of here. This is supposed to be easy and fun, I have enough problem solving to do at work. Hey Ho...
  • Suspect they might be fixing the bug where track prices add up to less than album price