Emusic Beta

Comments

• @greg It appears some of the old stuff has been re-ripped at 320 CBR, but not all. One example, Wishbone by Jackie Mittoo, I re-downloaded but it's the same low bit rate as what I have. I also noted that many of the things I re-downloaded are tagged "Purchased from 7Digital.com." Interesting.
  • At last some new releases, including several from ECM!
  • @Doofy, I had not thought of that. I wonder, if a label gets re-added after all this migration stuff, will purchased albums reappear in My Music? Sounds like that is what you are seeing?
  • My Music started to load on my laptop for me yesterday - immediately after I reinstalled the app on my phone. Not sure if that's just coincidence or not...

Still missing loads of stuff - lots of the albums that are missing are the earliest that I bought, even where they are currently available and on the same label as when originally purchased. 

What's missing seems to be pretty random - e.g. I've bought 4 Wrangler albums but only one shows in My Music despite all being available for purchase
  • @Germanprof I wished/expected it would be so - But now it looks like more recent Origin albums aren't there. I am hoping the holes get filled in, but at this point not sure it matters anyway. Bah humbug.
  • edited May 2017
    @Dark_MagusMagus, I remember various episodes over the years when albums got removed from the site and then returned apparently on the same label because the distributor had changed. When that happened they would no longer show as previously purchased.
  • edited May 2017
    Brighternow said: may 10
    My "my music" has been loading for a couple of days and have reached page 17.
    With this speed, maybe in a month or two  . . . ;)
    - Now there's a few albums on page 19
    As a consequence of this,  most albums purchased on the old site doesn't apear as "saved"

- This is ridiculous and is beginning to worry me.

None of my SFL has turned up and my lists are only partly there.

As for redownloading, the bitrate is exactly the same for some older albums.
    I have also been able to redownload albums from labels no longer available, at least in my region.

Some labels have booklets / linernotes but here in Europe we have to pay 0,49€ extra.

Finally, would someone from USA and UK please check if ReR Megacorp and ReR Megacorp USA is available and with how many albums ?
  • To Mugsy's note above - I was initially quite pleased at the prospect of re-downloading old files at 320, but that doesn't seem to be the case for several of the files I downloaded today.  Anyone know if this is the case site-wide??
  • greg said:
    One difference have noted from the Beta is that samples were then 1 minute long, now they have reverted to 30 seconds again. A shame!
    As of Sat a.m. in the UK I'm getting 1 minute samples on the few things I've tried.

• djh - yes I am now getting 1 minute samples on some things, but not all.  I agree with BN about the booklets being extra. One new album I looked at last night had a couple of long tracks, so album only purchase, which means I have to use a credit for the booklet whether or not I might want it.

BN - ReR Megacorp does show here in the UK, but only one album
  • In the US as well only one album shows up for Rer Megacorp. 

They finally fixed my login issue, and in the process I discovered a bit of a security hole in their accounts, so I need to write that up and let them know about it. 
  • Thanks @Jon and @greg

That one album has allways been seperate from ReR Megacorp and ReR USA

- What a pity

Update:
    Still only a few albums on page 19 (My Music)

All my lists are there now but all my comments is gone.
    Very frustrating.
  • Thanks @Jon and @greg

That one album has allways been seperate from ReR Megacorp and ReR USA

- What a pity

Update:
    Still only a few albums on page 19 (My Music)

All my lists are there now but all my comments is gone.
    Very frustrating.
    I was getting frustrated that I'm stuck on page 30 - surely I should have more? But although I have them backed up on drives they aren't in just one or even two or three places..hmm. Then I did the maths and found I have just over 1400 albums present on My Music. Give or take strays that are no longer available I guess this may even be right. Anyway BN I suspect your collection must be similar to mine so I sympathise with being stuck on 19 pages. I never did make comments or use anything other than an SFL list, very frustrating for you.
    I've been waiting for booster packs to arrive - I guess that's a way down the line but I can't test the new download system until I refresh in two weeks.
    Definitely time to take a chill pill and stream assorted rubbish from You Tube ;-)
  • I'm at about 15 pages - a fraction of what I recall - I did request a copy of my complete download history which I hope is being assembled.

• I just went onto the new eMusic for the first time.

The My Music section I don't understand.  When I first logged on, it just had three albums.  Then a few minutes later, after the screen refreshed, I had one page.  Then, several minutes after that, after another screen refresh, I've got three pages.  Is that how it's going to be any time I log in?  Because I've got a shitload of albums that should be in My Music.  On the old site, that stuff was available right from the start.

If I'm able to re-download some of those old albums, however, that'll be nice.  I'm on a new laptop now and never transferred my music from the old.  Mostly I just want a handful of albums from it.  Be nice to just download them again.

I'm gonna go check out that Reddit page.  I need to request a credit.

Update:  Up to six pages of albums now.
  • jonahpwll said:
    I just went onto the new eMusic for the first time.

The My Music section I don't understand.  When I first logged on, it just had three albums.  Then a few minutes later, after the screen refreshed, I had one page.  Then, several minutes after that, after another screen refresh, I've got three pages.  Is that how it's going to be any time I log in?  Because I've got a shitload of albums that should be in My Music.  On the old site, that stuff was available right from the start.

If I'm able to re-download some of those old albums, however, that'll be nice.  I'm on a new laptop now and never transferred my music from the old.  Mostly I just want a handful of albums from it.  Be nice to just download them again.

I'm gonna go check out that Reddit page.  I need to request a credit.

Update:  Up to six pages of albums now.
    It will be like that for a day or so. My other peeve is that although you can sort you can't jump say by artist or album from A to M to Z after page 5 you have to move just 2 pages at a time...
  • Looks like Bureau B just got uploaded - 184 albums showing for the UK.

Nothing yet added to My Music but I think the update may too recent for that to have taken effect.

• I'm at 12 pgs. No doubt tons of stuff missing - Perhaps especially newer purchases, but also many albums with missing tracks.

It's really too bad. I was glad the site was getting a much-needed rebuild...Now looks like the staffing level and expertise were not up to the challenges. Perhaps they will get there eventually, but for now seems like they're overwhelmed. I guess you hate to delay launch, but they clearly should have
  • edited May 2017
    The one new thing about My Music is that it gives us an opportunity to re-download, something we did not have previously, so I suspect the concept behind it is different. I too have some albums with tracks missing. There are also a few albums not there, but I imagine some at least are on labels lost to emusic. Back in the day, for example, I got Adele's 19  just before they lost Merge in the UK. Inevitably that is not in My Music.

Jonah - if you go to the bottom of the emusic Home page, you will see Support. They seem to be quite quick in dealing with issues like credit etc
  • edited May 2017
    Mine settled at 18 pages. At first I thought that meant there was a ton missing, and indeed there are obviously chunks missing (like all the ECM releases, for instance), but once I did the math against the duration and level of membership and the number of albums per page it is not actually quite as far adrift as I had thought. I've been in 12-13 years at around 4+ (?) albums a month on average plus some skewing from more recent booster pack frenzy and one-track ambient and prog albums in the good old days of per-track pricing. That would suggest maybe a very loose ballpark of about 600-700 albums allowing for a couple of holds. 17 and a bit pages at 48 albums per page gives me around 800+ albums, though at least a 3-4 pages worth of those are one-track daily download entries. So given the number of labels that have left or left and come back or changed distributor or renegotiated contracts in a decade plus, I would say my glass is more than half full. It's easy to forget that there have been long stretches when most of my music did not come from emusic (netlabels, bandcamp, guvera, amiestreet, Limewire, MTraks, etc). There are some tracks in my library that the algorithm has clearly matched with the wrong album, but hey, it's a mass algorithm, not a hand-crafted selection.

It's going to depend hugely on what labels we have been buying from and the distributor history of those labels (all outside emusic's control). Remember, a week ago we had no redownload option at all.
  • edited May 2017
    I can't resist one more comment, purely rueful autobiography, not aimed at all at anyone else's frustrations. Harmonia Mundi is still broken, and I am logging in daily to check whether a couple of albums I want have become available. There's a story building in my head that I am very frustrated that the very albums I want to buy next are not available and they are not fixing it fast enough.

The thing is, both of those albums sat on my SFL for months at the old site without me ever deciding I needed them enough to even spend 2-for-1 booster credit, or even free courtesy credit, on them. And I have thousands of other albums to listen to. And I can stream those two albums elsewhere if I want to. I could buy them at Amazon without starving (or even checking my credit card statement that closely).

Yet now that I can see them but not get them (grrr!) suddenly the psycho part of my brain needs them badly and wants to be all pissed off and complainy. 

This is silly, I am telling myself. Heavens, I might even have to buy a different album that I'll enjoy.

I am working at not being the same way about the My Music feature, which I have been able to live happily without for a decade, whereas now I have an imperfect version of it and paid nothing extra for the privilege.

I am thinking I'll be happier all round if I quit getting frustrated about stuff that I am artificially making matter more than it might.
  • Seems like the  Polyvinyl label did not make the leap across, really like the Hazel English album but not available
  • Good balanced view from Germanprof there, I too shall try and walk toward the light; gnashing of teeth will only make next week's dental bill higher.
  • From the emusic blog
    Please Take Note: While eMusic Product and Marketing team members are constantly monitoring community sites like the eMusicOfficial subreddit and emusers.org, it’s always best for Members to contact eMusic directly with product feedback and support requests.
    It's good to know we are being watched!!!! :)
  • I'm on my best behavior! o:)

I have about 9 pages (or like 8.2) of my music, and the very oldest one does have 1 track from the very first thing I got. I did use another account for a while, but I would have thought there would be more than 9 pages on this main account. But no complaints here because as far as I know I only ever lost one album that wasn't backed up, and I think I repurchased that one anyway.

A lot of my lists re-populated, but it seems like they re-populated with things I can't buy, which I'm not sure if I understand the point of. Does 7 digital have all the labels? I guess at some point emusic could sell subscriptions to indie stuff, and major label stuff as a la carte. Which is a lot like what somebody suggested years ago. ;)

But still, no complaints.

Oh and I like the zip download thing, (no offense to emusic j, which I've only been using a few months and which works great) and the one album I've d'led so far I did with chrome, which didn't work before, so that's good.
  • Oh @ GP, another bright side, if you are anything like me, when those two albums do become available, they'll totally become favorites and you'll be way more motivated to pay attention to them...

On re-downloading I'm pretty sure when I first started there were re-downloads.
  • Ha, yes, I can see that happening. And yes, there were redownloads up to a certain year - was it when the majors came? I used to hit buy on things at work or on the road and download them when I got home.
  • We have plans to introduce features soon that will enable you to eliminate duplicates, adjust metadata, and delete unwanted albums and tracks.

This is welcome. My 'My Music' has a lot of detritus from back when I used to download the free daily download too often.
  • edited May 2017
    In the UK, 7 Digital has almost all you could want other than much of the stuff you can get from places like Bandcamp, certainly all the main labels. Much of it is available in FLAC too. I like the idea of being able to buy major label downloads at a higher price, but I'd only do it at a slight discount, as 7 Digital prices are not too bad especially with weekly deals on some new releases.
  • edited May 2017
    -  on my best behavior! o
    Jay ! . . . Important Records is there with 85 albums.

- on my . . . . . not so good behavior :#
    Dammit ! ! !  . . . . just about all of them are "Full Album Unavailable"

ETA: from the blog May 16, 2017
    It’s been nearly a week since our official re-launch! Since launch, we’ve completed the migration of past purchases to Members’ My Music libraries and the migration of Save for Later lists to Wish Lists. We have also been listening to, and trying to address questions raised by our Members.
    - Not mine . . .