Emusic Beta

Comments

• to answer my own question - yes the quality is better. One of the first albums I downloaded from emusic was Youssou N'Dour's Immigres. That was just over 200Kbps, now it is standard 320Kbps. Probably means lots of redownloads over the next few weeks, but good to have that option.
  • @greg, I just DL'd a track that went missing long ago, and it appears to be the same.

My music is finally "populating," but appears quite incomplete (partial albums, etc). Is this so for others as well?

I never got the email...Could someone post it here?
  • I didn't get an email either Doofy. It took quite a long time to get my music populated - a number of hours. Even so, one or two albums are not complete from first glance, so the process may still have been going on when i left to go out a few hours ago. 
  • I seem to remember when the beta started my My Music bounced around for a few days in terms of what showed up, but it's all been working since then. I took screenshots of all my old SFL lists before migrating to the beta and reconstructed them there myself, so I just deleted the newly migrated empty lists that I presume would have worked eventually.
    My biggest peeve right now is that Harmonia Mundi is still broken and no fixed timeline for a fix.
  • Me and another user had a several days' conversation/gripe session about awol jazz labels on the Facebook page (vs the preponderance of fake labels)...Not a damn peep from the moderators. Understandable if they're focusing on the Indie Pop stuff first, but seems kind of ominous for missing jazz/classical/other
  • At least Steeplechase was fixed, which gives me a few things I can buy while I wait for Harmonia Mundi.
  • edited May 2017
    Talking of Steeplechase, it might be coincidence, but since being on the new site I have stumbled across several albums that are catalogued as Various Artists when they are a single artist. I just noticed an example on Steeplechase - Chasing After The Wind should be by Gregory Tardy but is listed as Various Artists. Ditto for Destiny is Yours by the Billy Harper Quintet, Half Note by Clifford Jordan Quartet, and others. Often in the past with this kind of thing it has clearly been a distributor issue, with the same wrong tags showing in the Amazon and Google stores, but these are correct elsewhere - except on 7Digital which is providing emusic's files. So I suspect the move to the 7digital platform is going to give us a new array of albums that are hard to find by searching. (I had an interesting time the other day trying to find all the albums they had by Horace Parlan for exactly this reason).
  • Yep. Check out this fine album by Clifford Jordan, which wasn't on the old site. Tracks labeled as by Cedar Walton, who is indeed part of the trio. Album filed under VA, which btw plays hell with the "similar album" recs. The 3 vol "On Stage" albums by Jordan are similarly afflicted. 

Oh well. I saved a buck by buying individual tracks vs album.  I was going to call this to their attention once the dust settled, but looks like continued dust for the foreseeable future. 
  • Question for those who have had their My Music populated - and seen it take time. Did you leave the browser open for an hour or three or did you close and open a day later and hey there it was? I'll leave mine open all evening and see what happens.
  • edited May 2017
    I don't think whether your browser is open will make any difference. In fact you may need to reload the page to see whether the change has been made.
    The site generally seems much less happy than before today - it's taking album pages a long time to load for me.
  • Well neither made any difference, think I'll chill a little as both My Music and credit packs appear to be taking a while. It's not like I don't have a tune or two to listen to.
  • I agree GP that things seem to be slower than during the last part of the Beta trial. Possibly populating everyone's My Music and SFL into Wish List is taking up all the 'power'?
  • "My Music" is still empty, too, but my lists are slowly starting to populate. I'll give it some more time. Given that I've been a member since 2001, it could be a lot of music to go through :smile: 

I also just made my first purchase on the new site (Sun Kil Moon's "Common as Light and Love ...", which never made it to the old site) and that went without a hitch. A few oddities and rough edges here and there, but so far things look much better than feared.

Hi, btw :smiley: I thought I had an account on here already but none of my usual logins worked, so I'm starting over fresh.
  • Welcome back, Dhaun. If my memory is right, when emusers was revamped, all the accounts that were not in use were taken off. Hope we'll see you again soon
  • Nice to see you here @dhaun . . . Welcome.
    (From Germany if my memory serves me well ?)

My "my music" has been loading for a couple of days and have reached page 17.

With this speed, maybe in a month or two  . . . ;)
  • edited May 2017
    You've probably seen this on the emusic blog, BN, but in case not I've copied below
    Good news today!  One of the main issues that was affecting members yesterday was the inability to find their Saved for Later and Lists within the new eMusic Wish List feature.  As of this morning, Wish Lists are loaded and available!  In the case that content may be missing, please refer to the information posted in our Support Center.
    In other good news, My Music purchase history migration is complete for most users that  logged into the new eMusic.com yesterday.  If you logged in yesterday and don’t see your past purchases appearing in your My Music library within a couple of hours after visiting the new site or app, please try logging out and then logging back in.  This action will restart the migration process for you.
    To preserve the overall performance of the site, loading the purchase history may take some time to fully load and become available.  This times varies by the size of your collection as well as the point in time you logged in.  Once you log in, your update will be placed in the queue to take place as soon as possible.  Tonight, our plan is to update our database in order to improve the speed of this critical process.

What I am pleased about this time is that they are trying to keep us informed. I'm now looking forward to some new releases being added soon.
  • I've been having a great time re-downloading early purchases that were at a low bit rate.  Happy with that! 
  • One difference have noted from the Beta is that samples were then 1 minute long, now they have reverted to 30 seconds again. A shame!
  • Hey now, my first 1 1/2 pages of My Music are populated, only another ??? to go ;-)

• So far all my music has downloaded which is great, Slowdive has come back and E Music have given me a credit for all my problems, looking forward to seeing what else is on site now
  • Hey gang, had a lot going on lately so eMusic shenanigans have not been much of a priority.  I've finally got some My Music and Lists this morning but the My Music seems awful slim - I notice that many artists/albums that are not on eMusic anymore are nowhere to be found, unlike the old Download History where at least the artist was there even if with 0 albums.  My main beef is that there does not seem to be any indication of previous purchase when I go to things I know I've bought, so how are we to Complete purchases if that's the case, not to mention keep track of what we've got - back to having to doublecheck against iTunes before purchase, which is problematical for the seasonal and less valued stuff that has been removed from iTunes to make room and relegated to one of several external hard drives.  I don't think I'm going to be beating this dead horse much longer at this rate - it seems to be a continuing curve of diminishing returns.
  • Answering my own question department - signed in again and seem to have much more in the My Music than last time.  Also previously purchased albums and tracks have an Added box that I really don't think was there before.  Still seems to be very awkward for a newly retooled system and you don't seem to be able to switch between an artist or label inside your My Music to the artist or label in the Store easily - so you can like, shop. 
  • @greg, I am still getting one minute samples.
  • edited May 2017
    Something new and wonderful just happened:
    I bought this album...
    And along with the tracks I got a PDF of the full album booklet.
    Never seen that before with emusic. If it spreads it will be a very good thing.
    If it's just the label, kudos to Ricercar. But this may be a significant benefit of moving away from the download manager to zips - anything can go in a zip.
  • @GP - I wonder of that is a licensing thing in the UK? Anyone-else in the UK just getting 30 sec samples?
  • I'm back to 30 sec samples in the US
  • Anyone else still not able to log in? I emailed support and only got the automated response, and then got in touch with an employee on reddit who said they would forward it to the proper department and haven't heard anything back. Just wondering if I'm alone in this issue...?
  • I am logged in OK.
    Also, maybe they made me my own personal version of the site, but:
    • I am definitely getting 1-minute samples (in the US) and I have tried multiple artists and labels;
    • There is no upgrade on bitrate on my oldest purchased albums - I just redownloaded six different albums and they are all identical to the ones originally purchased. Though I guess that will basically depend on whether the label has bothered to upload new files, and I admittedly buy a lot of stuff that is not still selling a year later.
    In my purchase history is that the oldest several pages are almost all daily downloads. In the beginning I tended to download them all - but it also means there must be a bunch of labels I was buying from at the start that have fallen along the way, because surely I did buy albums too. 
  • edited May 2017
    On My Music, half of my albums are listed as Date Added May 10th 2017, whilst the remainder seem to be the date that I did download. Possibly the label distributor has changed?? So far I have re downloaded four albums from my early emusic days. Three have higher bitrates, whilst one (John Coltrane's Lush Life) is the same. I suspect that relates to the original recording level?

By the way, welcome Jon!! Hope you enjoy it here....
  • Origin Records just showed up in the store, which is very good news. Only a few have shown up in My Music, as of yet