Emusic Beta

Comments

• Getting a bit worried about this, this weekend is new releases from Slowdive and Moon Unit, thinking about cashing in and waiting to see what the new site is like. Still not had any communication about the prices going up and starting to think time to go on hold or leaving. My budget is about £30 a month and with that I can still get the music I want without the hassle. Time will tell but its really not looking good
  • After a further exchange with customer service in which I expressed my disbelief about whether they were really as agnostic as they sounded about whether a large number of labels being broken would be fixed, they now assure me a fix is in the works for soon.
  • I tried downloading an album and got an error message, and like Germanprof, could not sample many tracks. I went to the Facebook site to complain, and then received an email saying that we got ten more "credits" (dollars for the Americans) because they knew that the site took a giant step back. At this point the old site is better than the new - let's hope that I am not one of many who are wishing that we hadn't signed up to test the beta site. They don't seem ready to transfer everyone over to the new site. Eeek!
  • I agree bremble, I am wondering about being one of the early changers. Several albums are available that I'd like on the old site but not the new! Along with that is the price increase (As I've said before I am not worried about that, as it has not gone up since I joined, so no complaints there, just the way it happened without telling us). I'd found a number of albums unavailable to download yesterday. I must admit I thought it was because they were showing albums form the States that were not available to us....

We have been given 10 credits - actually £10 to spend in 30 days. One of my main gripes is that I cannot see when boosters I bought a couple of months ago expire, so I can't manage my spending to make sure I don't loose any balance. 
  • I am not even able to download at the moment! Not sure what is going on. At least my overall balance has not reduced.
  • thanks for the reddit overview!
  • It's a beta. Beta does not mean early access to the finished product, it means being willing to use a potentially broken version so that everyone else gets one that works better when it moves out of beta.
  • Yes, I understand that it's beta and there will be problems associated with it. I am frustrated that the site seemed to take a step backwards from earlier, as well as being slow to get new releases. I think that the hope that they would be transferring people to the new site will have to be delayed unless they can correct the simple stuff (such as purchasing and downloading). 
  • Yes, I got the impression at the end of last week that the transfer was only a few days away at the most. Now it seems to be two weeks away. I don't want to loose credit when I can't download what I'd like. It does seem to have taken a step backwards though, but perhaps GP is right, it is a beta and things need to be tried out first, which is what they did not do last time around when the site changed.
  • Just had a reply from emusic about credit expiry dates. It looks like my current month's credits are not due to expire until the following month. If so that is great news and takes the pressure off from spending them!
  • I'm not 'on the other side' yet, but it's apparent  that they have encountered more problems than expected. I believe the official communications have gone from 'any day now' to 'a couple of weeks.' I have little doubt that this service is a complex piece of work...It also seems clear that they were (inexplicably) surprised to learn that subscribers still wanted to download their purchased music, rather than stream it.

Sorry but not surprised to hear that some labels may be lost. I bet many of these arrangements have not been revisited for years.

I do like Ruler Rebel; I learn at Bandcamp that it's the first of a trilogy.
  • Ugh those old arguments. I honestly can't imagine why I was arguing with anybody about anything on emusic. I'll try not to do it again!

Re. Beta I think if $7.99 is the new price point I'm gonna be gone again. I only do 6.49 a month now; if I can't get a full album for that
  • On the subject of not being able to buy a full album on the U.S. lite plan, there is currently no pro-rating of the album price as you sequentially buy individual tracks from an album as there was on the old site.  If this isn't adjusted, one won't be able to get the album price for high-track-count albums without a booster pack (but, gee, I do like those booster packs when on promotion).
  • @amclark2 It really depends on the label. I am rejoicing at the moment, for instance, that almost everything on the Naive label has come down from $5.99 or $6.49 on the old site to $4.99 on the new. A lot of Harmonia Mundi stuff got cheaper - their budget lines are $3.99. Some other stuff has gone up from $6.49 to $6.99 or $7.99.  But one album I looked at that is $6.99 is $19.99 on Amazon. 

I have no doubt there will be an average price increase overall, and that it will hit devotees of some labels harder than others, but it's pretty hard to generalize.
  • UK prices on the Beta site have returned to 42p per track. The Conspiracy Theory in me thinks this is because nobody thought to change the Euro price of 0.49 Euros to UK£ price, or maybe it was even based upon a $ price??
  • Quite a few recent releases from ECM on the Beta site compared with the old site, which is great, but the back catalogue is only 267 albums compared to 526 on the old site, not so good! Maybe given time, it'll increase.....
  • Looks like they are starting to get those broken albums fixed. I was just able to buy an album from one of the labels that was broken.
  • There was a discussion here a few days back about the DLM. Below is the latest from emusic:
    As Members get used to the all-new eMusic, we’ve heard a lot of great feedback on changes we’ve made in purchasing, storing and managing your music collection in the My Music cloud. Some have noted that the eMusic Download Manager is no longer supported on the new site – this is true! This post is to reflect on how we came to that choice.
    The eMusic Download Manager (DLM) has long been a cause of frustration for many Members. The original code in the eMusic DLM is now incompatible with several modern browsers. Even if the code is compatible, regular browser updates often cause new conflicts with the DLM – creating unnecessary moments of customer dissatisfaction.
    Another reason for us to move away from the eMusic DLM was because of advancements in software security. Third-party plug-ins like the DLM are often rejected by new operating systems or security software, and require special permissions to be enabled. Security is a very important issue and no one wants to install and maintain third-party software unless it’s absolutely necessary. Considering the advancements in browser technology, we felt the browser’s native downloading capabilities would provide a more familiar and stable experience for our users.
    However, as we intend our service to be an end-to-end music management service, we understand users with large collections may need a solution for synchronizing their music between devices and their My Music cloud library. This includes bulk uploading of large collections, recovery of lost music, and automatically synching new purchases with a dedicated pc or server. If this sounds like something you’d be interested in, we’ve got you covered. We’re currently developing a two-way sync agent to better serve our serious collectors with more advanced music management needs. Stay tuned for more details.

• Away we go 

Hi folks.

We are migrating all users over to the new site overnight (EST) tonight. We will be populating users' download history and Saved For Later lists and taking down the current site at emusic.com.

All beta participants will receive an email with instructions on what to do next (nothing complicated, basically delete the beta app, reinstall from the app store when and use emusic.com instead of beta.emusic.com)

I know a lot of your content questions have not been fully addressed yet. Rest assured, we've taken into account every single one and continue to work to get the best and most content we can for the site. We are reliant on being able to connect labels, distributors and aggregators, as well as negotiating new contracts in some cases so giving answers as to why x album is on the old site and isn't on the new site is rarely straight forward.

The people who have been interacting with you guys on this page are mainly developers, QA and Product Managers. Your technical/UX/UI feedback has been invaluable and we all would like to thank you.

This Facebook group and beta@emusic.com inbox will be closed tomorrow and I'd invite you to use support.emusic.com for technical support and content issues going forward.

Please also check out the blog and our subreddit (if you're a redditor).

You will continue to see new features and improvements added to the site at roughly 2 week intervals and where necessary we will keep you in the loop as to what is being added and when via the above channels. I can't stress enough how much more we are able to achieve, build and fix with the new platform, and how much faster deployments can be made. The old site will be missed but from a Developer/Product team perspective we're excited to be starting fresh.

Thanks again for your input and support.

Cheers to a new and improved eMusic!

• Well...looks like it's all go overnight. From the Beta Facebook group:

"Hi folks.

We are migrating all users over to the new site overnight (EST) tonight. We will be populating users' download history and Saved For Later lists and taking down the current site at emusic.com.

All beta participants will receive an email with instructions on what to do next (nothing complicated, basically delete the beta app, reinstall from the app store when and use emusic.com instead of beta.emusic.com)

I know a lot of your content questions have not been fully addressed yet. Rest assured, we've taken into account every single one and continue to work to get the best and most content we can for the site. We are reliant on being able to connect labels, distributors and aggregators, as well as negotiating new contracts in some cases so giving answers as to why x album is on the old site and isn't on the new site is rarely straight forward.

The people who have been interacting with you guys on this page are mainly developers, QA and Product Managers. Your technical/UX/UI feedback has been invaluable and we all would like to thank you.

This Facebook group and beta@emusic.com inbox will be closed tomorrow and I'd invite you to use support.emusic.com for technical support and content issues going forward.

Please also check out the blog and our subreddit (if you're a redditor).

You will continue to see new features and improvements added to the site at roughly 2 week intervals and where necessary we will keep you in the loop as to what is being added and when via the above channels. I can't stress enough how much more we are able to achieve, build and fix with the new platform, and how much faster deployments can be made. The old site will be missed but from a Developer/Product team perspective we're excited to be starting fresh.

Thanks again for your input and support.

Cheers to a new and improved eMusic!"

It's a confirmed ALL users, not just Beta.

I think they're gonna need all the best wishes in the world given current issues with the Beta site!

• What could possibly go wrong?
  • From the old emusic site:

"It's coming ... emusic ... Please note: in order to launch the all-new eMusic, the site will be unavailable for several hours this evening. We will do our best to minimize this downtime- apologies for the inconvenience."
  • edited May 2017
    Both sites are down here at the moment, not unexpected, given that 7.30 am here is 2.30 am EST. My hope is that recent releases that are on the old site but not the new will be available to all.  

Update - emusic twitter account suggests early afternoon for completion, so early evening here.
  • edited May 2017
    They've been down since around 3 am, and still is.
    - Nothing on the Reddit
    https://www.reddit.com/r/eMusicofficial/

Fingers crossed and good luck to the eMu tech team. They probably need it.

• Just posted on the Blog

Customer migration to the all new eMusic is well underway!  Overnight over half of our members were migrated to the new platform, and the rest should be done by 10 AM EST.

For those of you already on the new site, we hope that you have had a very satisfying start to your new shopping and music enjoyment experience. A few things to note:

Download History:
    Your download history will begin to load as soon as you log into the website or app.  Depending on the size of your collection (most of you have 1000s!!) it may take a few minutes so please be patient.

Using an old version of the app? 
    The update for the apps will take place later this morning around 10 AM EST.  If your mobile device isn’t set for auto-updates please make sure to update to the latest version to access your music.

What’s new? 
    A lot.  Check out new content from The Orchard and Jagjaguwar, as well as updates from the Orchard.  Some new features include the ability to search by label, as well as downloading past purchases through your My Music Library.

What’s coming soon? 
    A lot.  Extra credit packs (formerly boosters) will be launched soon, and the daily FREE download will soon be restored.  We’ll also be refining the account page so that you can manage your music membership and understand your plan details at a glance.  We will also be adding critical account functions such as being able to hold your account, as before.

Please, take a tour and enjoy.  If you have any specific concerns please visit our Support Center.

• I'm not part of the half! I am sure it will be worth waiting for.
    Fingers crossed and good luck to the eMu tech team. They probably need it.

Agreed, BN!!

• emusic.com is now up again but it's still the old site. Let me guess... something went wrong and the migration is postponed?
  • pizzaoven said:
    emusic.com is now up again but it's still the old site. Let me guess... something went wrong and the migration is postponed?
    Yup, They have worked for more than 10 hours now, so maybe it's nap time ?

Welcome @pizzaoven , I did not know we had one.
    - Could I have a pepperoni with extra cheese ?
  • edited May 2017
    Ok, the new one is up now but is barely working.

"Your Music Library Is Currently Empty"
    - And search is 0 all over. - I guess it just takes some time

My grandfathered plan is maintained

Heh ! . . . there's no music whatsoever.

• edited May 2017
    I'm in, and furthermore bought and DL'd an album. The new one by The Necks is (mispriced?) 1.99 on the new site.

That is the only album in my library, at the moment. I haven't received the eMu email yet