What are you listening to right now? (16 Banners United)

Comments

• edited May 2018
    confused said:

Recorded on September 21, 2000                                   
    The Styrenes - (Al MargolisMike Hoffman,
    John MortonTim MoesUk RattayPaul Marotta,
    Jimmy Lonesome)
    Wow ! . . . Thank  you very many.

- A wise man once said:
    "You can never get enough versions of In C"
     Terry Riley's minimalist classic In C is one of those pieces that's instantly recognisable, despite the fact that no two performances of it can ever quantitatively be very similar. Each musician is given a sequence of 53 musical phrases. He or she repeats each phrase for as long as they like (though Riley suggests that as the piece should last around forty minutes, anything between 45 and 90 seconds is best) before playing the next one. If the musician can't play a phrase, they just skip it. There are no guides as to instrumentation, though the usual number of performers is around 30.

As Riley's simple phrases drift in and out of sync with each other, complex, hypnotic patterns emerge and dissolve, making concentration a tricky business for the performers, but an experience of potentially psychedelic proportions for the listener.

Though Riley's music was undoubtedly a big influence on a generation of drone-rockers, it's only recently thatIn C's been visited recently by the likes of Acid Mothers Temple, and now by New York band The Styrenes. Riley's emphasis on group listening and relaxed approach to technique makethe piece an obvious fit with the dynamics of ye olde rocke group, and this album's proof.

The Styrenes were formed by Paul Marotta, previously of Cleveland art punkers The Electric Eels, back in 1975. Having met Riley, he'd become convinced of the possibilities of an In C played with rock instrumentation (previous recorded versions have usually featured tuned percussion and wind instruments), though held off actually doing it for some years.

Here appearing as a septet, the bandmanage 20 instruments through a spot of studio magic, playing the whole thing through twice through plus a few overdubs. And it's a beautiful noise. Props go to drummer Mike Hoffman, whose sensitive deployment of various elements of his kit provides propulsion and texture in equal measure. Guitars, keys and marimba provide the melodic wonderment that generally arises during a performance of the piece, and the Styrenes infuse the proceedings with a scratchy, raw energy that's immediate and infectious. Good stuff.

- Musicbrainz

ETA: No longer available from Emu.

• @Brighternow, yer most welcome and thanks right back to you and all that have posted about Terry Riley. I really enjoyed the listen and I agree with that wise man....one can never have to many. I'll certainly keep an ear out for more. I'm always humbled by how little I really know but better late than never!
    @greg - The whole Label Love series is great and Free. Thanks to @Doofy for the introduction and for the African Scream Contests, another welcome addition to the library.
    Another most interesting T...
    Thomas Fehlmann

2004                                                                        2007

• Thanks @Confused. I had downloaded this and of course I haven't played it for a long time. I'll also explore some of their other albums.
  • edited May 2018
     httpsf4bcbitscomimga1577193323_14jpg
    Rausch
    released May 18, 2018
  • Ammerli Drecker - Rocks and Salt,

Not played this in ages and enjoyed every chord
  • Bobby Broom Plays For Monk
    Seem to keep coming back to this in the huge pile of recent downloads.

• Una Mas

Thanks Guvera. I'll never forget you

• This five-movement chamber work for six percussionists explores popular music's evolution, reproducing and imitating styles from the 1930's to present day. This is the fifth movement which focuses on music styles of the 2010's. Featuring Zachary Hale and Christian Smith on percussion.

Recorded by Chris Johns at the MMR of the Schulich School of Music, McGill University, Montreal, February 14, 2014.

• Thomas Fehlmann -  Palais SchaumburgThe Orb & others

1980 - 82                                                          2001 Dr Alex Paterson's Voyage Into Paradise
     Holger HillerRalf HertwigTimo Blunck                       Various Artists Compiled by
     F.M. EinheitThomas Fehlmann                                          Dr. Alex Paterson
  • British Blues Explosion Live

This is taking me back decades to small smoky rooms listening to local blues bands playing cover versions of many of these tracks
  • edited May 2018

@rolandkuit - Frozen Spectrals
    Spectral fun with string instruments.

Releases tomorrow ! ! !

• - A wise man once said:

Who said that?  

My current favorite version: Africa Express Presents... Terry Riley's In C Mali
  • edited May 2018
    Plong42 said:
    - A wise man once said:
     Who said that? 
    I'm almost certain it was you . . . B)

Eastman Philharmonia
    November 16, 2007
    Matilda Hofman, director
  • 89134_Corbett_vs_Dempsey_Ken_Vandermark_p01_LowRes_Image for Onesheet_web
    Re-released 1984 Don Pullen album that I never heard of? I'm in.
  • The Orb - Alex PatersonThomas Fehlmann & others

2007    The Future Academy Of Noise,                  2009
                    Rhythm And Gardening

2015                                                                          2016
  • Plong42 said: 
    Not bad either . . .  ;)
  • The Orb

2016                                                                             2016

• edited May 2018

Thanatoloop - Unindustrial Music Vol​.​9: el avant​-​garde no existe
    released March 14, 2018

Thanatoloop - Mar Ebrio
    released December 28, 2017

• With the Ictus version up next, followed by the The Sensorium Saxophone Orchestra version. 

• As a rule I say enough already with the jazz homage albums, but I think I'm ready to make an exception for this
  • Tristan Perich

2007                                                                       2007 with Ensemble Signal & Brad Lubman

2007 w/Baritone Saxophone – Alex HamlinArgeo Ascani        2008/09 Singles FMA
                  Bass Clarinet – Eileen MackSara Buddle
  •  
    2009   w/ Daniel Walden.                                    Blip Festival 2011 FMA

2013     w/ Meehan/Perkins Duo                            2013  Vicky Chow
  • Shaking off last night's beer with this one...

httpsd2htg16wag384pcloudfrontneteMusicrestcataloggetReleaseCoverreleaseId4210290width800

• @greg Can't beat Blue Train but I've just discovered this muscular work-out which has some tight ensemble playing. Good fun and quite probably recommended by someone here.
    httpsd2htg16wag384pcloudfrontneteMusicrestcataloggetReleaseCoverreleaseId1679368width800

• Lush Life

@djh Blue Train is my favourite of his, but this runs it close
  • @greg Oh yes - you know its a while since I played those albums as actual albums. That is I have the three Prestige box sets and of course they are all moulded around session dates so for instance I couldn't at this stage even tell you the track listing of Lush Life (for shame!)

Just one last album before heading out for beer, food and a Sloth Racket gig at 100 Years Gallery.

httpsimgdiscogscom2UVGx0-ugJcifFn4L_AvNH4qbyMfit-in300x300filtersstrip_iccformatjpegmode_rgbquality40discogs-imagesR-11547355-1518282935-9453jpegjpg

Behind Clouds - Solitude of Silence

• httpsf4bcbitscomimga0691881643_14jpg
    released May 25, 2018 on NewAm

• Morning!
    Sunny in South London - you wouldn't think we had a thunderstorm of near Biblical proportions last night...

httpsd2htg16wag384pcloudfrontneteMusicrestcataloggetReleaseCoverreleaseId61770228width800