What are you listening to right now? (16 Banners United)

Comments

• edited September 2017
     httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-KtvoqyMaBLyz-0-t500x500jpg 

Freshly grabbed from Emu, released by Important Records in 2012:

Two tracks, not album priced . . .
  • edited September 2017
    Once upon a time available on a Russian Netlabel called Electrosound:
    Passionate Desire
    https://www.emusic.com/album/1213288/Anton-Batagov/Passionate-Desire-to-Be-an-Angel
    ETA: Not album priced, so it could be one of those US new Emu bargains.
    - €1.96 for this masterpiece.
    - More Anton Batagov bliss:

• High Hopes
    Totally different!
  • Godspeed You! Black Emperor- Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
  • edited September 2017
    Scott Walker - Bish Bosch
  • Well, before I move onto those Js, I've got some catching up to do.
    First off I'm looking to get scared....

"The scariest music you will hear throughout your entire life. Period"

$1.96 (Canadian) at Emusic
    or 98 cents with the double booster sale. Yah!
  • edited September 2017
    This looked pretty scary as well.
      httpsf4bcbitscomimga4113015456_14jpg 
    NYOP Bandcamp

Ps. Thanks Bn, I really enjoyed the listens. I know I'll be checking out more of their albums.
  • Music born out of fears

NYOP Bandcamp
     Thanks to am2
  • Thanks again

NYOP Bandcamp
  • La Lechuza
    I still think this is their best. Lovely.
  • edited October 2017
     httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-000244983553-vituep-t500x500jpg

Memory Drawings

- is the beguiling project of Minneapolis raised, Morocco-based hammered dulcimer player Joel Hanson, erstwhile Hood guitarist/multi-instrumentalist and sometime Declining Winter main-man Richard Adams, Brave Timbers violinist Sarah Kemp, Chris Cole of Movietone/Manyfingers (drums and cello) and Gareth S Brown of Hood (piano).

They produce music that maps the contours between brooding melancholy and redemptive calm that simultaneously suggests both classical minimalism and hearth-side folk. They blend their unique instrumentation into dazzling pieces that have been compared to Angelo Badalamenti’s compositions for ‘The Straight Story’ soundtrack, Laraaji’s early ‘80s use of the hammered dulcimer, the peaceful qualities of neo-classicalists such as Rachel’s and 4AD duo Dead Can Dance and This Mortal Coil.

They have released three albums ‘Music For Another Loss’ (2011), ‘There Is No Perfect Place’ (2014) and ‘The Nearest Exit’ (2017).

Release date:
    30 September 2017

•  
    In 1960 the American minimalist composer La Monte Young created a collection of over a dozen conceptual compositions that included elements of performance art, extra-musical actions and zen influenced poetics. These works, which became known as Compositions 1960, were some of the earliest examples of Fluxus-inspired event scores, and in the case of Compositions 1960 #7 (a depiction of the notes B3 and F#4 with the instruction “to be held for a very long time”) one of the earliest examples of minimalism. For this commissioned work I produced a piece that takes Young’s 1960’s compositions as constituent parts to a whole, integrating multiple interpretations of the individual compositions into a singular piece. It is an attempt at practicing the radical permission that Young seems to be implying in the work, allowing each of those pieces to be a platform for creation, an intervention into my own modes of creation and a problem or puzzle to be solved.

The completed piece emerged from attempts to selectively engage Young’s compositions as starting points for sonic creation and then arranging those diverse elements into a singular coherent work. In this way the final project isn’t a performance of any one of his compositions (or a re-performance of any of their interpretations) but rather a homage to his thinking, his influence and the potentials for conceptual scores to unlock creativity from the chains of habit.

Commissioned by the CRES Media Arts Committee, 2015.

Composed by La Mont Young
    Arranged and performed by Gabriel Saloman

• edited October 2017
    Well, one thing I've learned here is that when one of folks says something is great or terrific, I have no doubt that it is. I keep finding the most interesting and diverse selections to explore and hopefully add to my library. Wish I could get them all.
    Thanks to @rostasi for these

Discogs 

Folke Rabe / Jan Bark

Ps no album only pricing on these, however there are 2 releases of ARGH! - one with & one without. 
  • I'm glad you like them. I'm usually careful about saying too much when it comes to likes/dislikes because it's such a personal thing. Same with this. I really wouldn't expect most people to like his work, but sometimes death throws a ball at you that you either duck from or excitedly and fervently catch. I bought the Wergo recording of Rabe's "Was??" with the also wonderful Bo Anders Persson (Träd, Gräs Och Stenar, Pärson Sound, International Harvester) piece on the other side back when I was in school in the 70s: fondly remembering buying it with "The Sounds of the Junkyard" on Folkways.

Anyway, moving on up to 2001, I became friends with an eccentric Swedish fellow who was friends with Rabe and has posted an interesting interview with pix at his website.
    Part of his eccentricity is that he has a tendency to write rather purple prose, but if you can get past that, it's an interesting slice of Scandinavian modern music history. Jan Bark is mentioned often in both parts of the interview. Other Rabe related links are here.
  • edited October 2017
    Thanks again. 2 very different and interesting albums. I know I'm guilty of saying too much but, well, I don't think that'll change anytime soon. I also recently re-listened  to Harvester/International Harvester/Träd, Gräs och Stenar and thought they were terrific as well. Oops, there I go again :)

I'll have to wait for the Ps before I get to Pärson Sound.
     Ps. Thanks for the links, much appreciated.
  • edited October 2017
    Once upon a time available on a Russian Netlabel called Electrosound:
    Passionate Desire
    https://www.emusic.com/album/1213288/Anton-Batagov/Passionate-Desire-to-Be-an-Angel
    ETA: Not album priced, so it could be one of those US new Emu bargains.
    - €1.96 for this masterpiece.
    It's going to take a while to get back to the ABCs
    Thanks, $1.96 here too, not album priced!
    Ps. one won't be enough....
    From the Internet Archive
    The composition of this album is based on philosophy and practical instructions of the Great Masters of Alchemy. This music is an attempt to reconstitute the spirit of Coniunctio, an alchemical mystery. Alchemy knows a lot about opposite images, like water and fire, dryness and wetness, warmth and cold, the volatile and the fixed, the bodily and the spiritual, the Sun and the Moon, gold and silver, circle and square… 

The punk-style guitar riffs and vocal phrases adjoin with angelic choir, church organ, and transparent piano passages. Coniunctio is the understanding or experience of the unity of opposites or paradoxes that lies beyond the world of duality. 

• Benjamin Dauer - Burning of Wine

I really like this one. Very atmospheric.
    and NYOP. Thanks
  • Product Details
    Kidsticks - Beth Orton. Eclectic Sunday morning. Ike Quebec scheduled next.
  • Lowlife said:

The Green Line is a new project from Oliver Cherer under the name 'Gilroy Mere'. Trading as Dollboy, Rhododendron, and Australian Testing Labs as well as his own name, Oliver has meandered his way through the backwaters of left of centre English folk, ambient and electronic music, issuing numerous albums of original music to much critical acclaim via highly regarded boutique labels such as Static Caravan, Second Language, Deep Distance, Polytechnic Youth, and Awkward Formats.

The Green Line is an instrumental album inspired by the buses that once linked central London to country towns. Established by the London General Omnibus Company in the 1930s, with their striking green livery they were a common sight in the outer London suburbs.

The Green Line is written as a remembrance of childhood trips into the exterior via the green double and single decker buses that took Londoners out to the countryside. It was recorded at his home studio in Sussex using a collection of instruments and obsolete electronics amassed over a lifetime of being unable to resist junk shops, charity shops and car boot sales.

This is on E Music

Thanks

• Bo Anders Persson - Love Is Here To Stay (The Early Works by Bo Anders Persson 1965-1967)
    track 7 - Proteinimperialism
     Thanks
  • edited October 2017
     httpsi1sndcdncomartworks-HUB8YmVWLeHI-0-t500x500jpg 
    https://www.emusic.com/album/2363905/Bo-Anders-Persson/Love-Is-Here-To-Stay

Thank you !

ETA: 3 years on Soundcloud and totally unnoticed. - Very strange . . .

___________________________________________________________________________________________

httpsf4bcbitscomimga3432231848_14jpg
    :)
  • edited October 2017
    @rostasi, my 10 cents would be that even though it is personal, when someone else who knows a wide range of music says something is great, I tend to take that as evidence that there is something there at least worth checking out if time permits. I think it's possible to give weight to someone's recommendation and still feel free to respectfully disagree in the end, but like @confused I have found many cool things that way I wouldn't have otherwise. Another's enthusiasm can be a leg up.

NP
    Following Morning