What are you listening to right now? (16 Banners United)

Comments

•  
    2004 in the Red Room           2007  Troubadour Of Stomp

Timbuk 3 -from my wife's CD collection

1989    These People Are Nuts! 
                   An I.R.S. sampler - some old favourites get another spin

• NYOP...found in Nicole Mitchell's Bandcamp collection

The KREation Ensemble is lead by saxophonist/composer
    Kevin Robinson. "Circle Spins To Become A Sphere" is a collection
    of themed sonic meditations, compositions and improvisations
    performed by the seven piece ensemble.

This project marks the second in a focused series of recordings
    that explore concepts of circular motion and elastic symmetry.
    The compositions are based upon expanding and contracting
    intervallic motifs with an intent to reflect a lucid view of existence.

• edited January 2018

John Oliver - Cool Take (NYOP)
    With thanks to @brighternow from last March.
    Parts of this are fun; other parts are kind of annoying.
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga1444913049_14jpg
    released January 15, 2018
  • Polly Paulusma

2004                                                               2007
  • edited January 2018

Thanks GP
  • Familia Tribute to Bebo  Chico

¡Irresistible!
  • httpwwwnonesuchcomsitesgfilesg2000005811fstylesalbum_detail__545___545_public201611BILL20FRISELL20with20Dave20Holland20and20Elvin20JonesjpgitokRbJQ-wsZ

Bill Frisell With Dave Holland And Elvin Jones

-Been a while since I listened to this one.  I recall being pretty underwhelmed by it back in the day, and eventually gave up listening to it.  Kind of curious how it'll strike me now.

• Tunnel of Love - Bruce Springsteen
  • djhdjh
    edited January 2018
    jonahpwll said:
    httpwwwnonesuchcomsitesgfilesg2000005811fstylesalbum_detail__545___545_public201611BILL20FRISELL20with20Dave20Holland20and20Elvin20JonesjpgitokRbJQ-wsZ

Bill Frisell With Dave Holland And Elvin Jones

-Been a while since I listened to this one.  I recall being pretty underwhelmed by it back in the day, and eventually gave up listening to it.  Kind of curious how it'll strike me now.

With such a wonderful Jim Woodring cover great music would be just the icing on the cake.

[ Later - Listening on the *plz don't kill me* hated Spotify reveals that it's a great after work chill album - meticulous playing - but it isn't going to disturb Grandma's afternoon nap. Mind you I do melt a little when I hear a good version of Moon River - softy that I am. For other Brits here - this is a very "N-I-C-E" Jazz Club album.]
  • Some Italian jazz from earlier in 2017 that I had forgotten about for a while:

AU9070

Such an incredibly joyful listen, on an underrated, under-the-radar "jazz and beyond" label out of Europe  (AUAND).  

Zeno De Rossi - "Zenophilia"
  •  httpwwwubucomcontempbrosi01-Book34650_cover_thumbjpg 
    httpwwwubucomcontempbrosi03-CD-CollectionCD_02_thumbjpg

Seriously bizarre ! ;)
  • Reminds me of the On Kawara "One Million Years" reading
    that I wandered in and out of in 2002 in Kassel.

• Which eMuser posted this one...Round up the usual suspects. Still NYOP
  • edited January 2018
    Well, my favourite Peter in my collection. 2nd most plays just behind Johnny Dowd at 1103 according to lastfm. (mind you, as far as stats go, I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to Enable Scrobbling again after sampling something)
    Peter Case

The Nerves -  Peter CaseJack Lee & Paul Collins.  Great Power Pop!
    Compilation released in 2008 -tracks from their EP, demos, other studio tracks, some not the best quality live tracks & 1 track each from The Plimsouls, The Breakaways & The Jack Lee Band.
  • This is what introduced me to Peter Case. He has one of those voices that just stands out in my tiny brain.
    The Plimsouls - Peter CaseClem BurkeDavid PahoaEddie MuñozLou Ramirez

1980      Zero Hour                                         1983    Everywhere At Once

1988     One Night In America 
    Recorded live 1981
  • edited January 2018

1986     Peter Case

1989   The Man With The Blue Postmodern Fragmented Neo-Traditionalist Guitar
              I love this album, goofy title and all. Guests include David HidalgoDavid Lindley
                Ry CooderT Bone Burnett & Benmont Tench among others.

When I discovered in 1999 that my (now) wife's CD library included Peter Case, I knew I met the girl of my dreams.
  • edited January 2018
    Double P, The late Tuxedomoon bass player:

httpsf4bcbitscomimga4117402396_14jpghttpsf4bcbitscomimga2563318942_14jpg

• One of my favorites from last year - Kind of surprised it didn't get any attention in year-end lists.

Great A-team of Chicago jazz talent...Always a lot of excitement with Dana Hall at the drum set

Geof Bradfield: tenor saxophone
    Marquis Hill: trumpet
    Nick Mazzarella: alto saxophone
    Joel Adams: trombone
    Clark Sommers: bass
    Dana Hall: drums
  • Image result for eccentric soul omnibus
    Eccentric Soul Omnibus 
  • Doofy said:

One of my favorites from last year - Kind of surprised it didn't get any attention in year-end lists.

Great A-team of Chicago jazz talent...Always a lot of excitement with Dana Hall at the drum set

@Doofy - Totally agree regarding Birdhoused!   To add insult to injury, the metadata on eMusic is wrong.   It shows up correctly in search, but if you download it, the artist shows up as Grant Stewart Trio and the song titles are apparently songs from a Grant Stewart Trio album...    sigh (recalling this from earlier last  year, and when I went to play it  again today I found a couple tracks I had not fixed).         BTW, the label, Cellar Live, has a couple new 2018 jazz releases up on eMu today, one of which combines a traditional jazz quartet with a string quartet (BC Double Quartet - "Departure"...  sounds pretty interesting listening to the samples).
  • Image result for organic cloud
    Tetsu Inoue - Organic Cloud
  • Related image

From the eMu bargains thread...I cannot believe how great this record is. 
  • edited January 2018

1992                                                             1993

1993                                                               1998
    I had to pull out the vinyl to listen to Six Pack Of Love.
    Peter Case
  • 1960s/70s PROGRESSIVE ROCK ON EMUSIC

Here are some of my top Progressive Rock albums on eMusic from the 1960s/1970s (eMusic is a real treasure trove for this kind of music). Most of them absolute classics of the genre and difficult to find elsewhere at a reasonable price!

• Affinity - "Affinity"
    • Josefus - "Dead Man Alive"
    • Deja-Vu - "Between The Leaves"
    • D.R. Hooker - "The Truth"
    • Atomic Rooster - "Death Walks Behind You"
    • Agusa - "Hogtid"
    • Baby Grandmothers - "Baby Grandmothers"
    • Gentle Giant - "Octopus"
    • Armada - "Beyond the Morning"
    • Chico Magnetic Band - "Acid Rock"
    • Corpus - Creation A Child
    • Chicago Magnetic Band - "Acid Rock"
    • Various Artists - "60's & 70's Acid Flash"
    • Various Artists - "Spacerock: An interstellar Traveller's Guide" (73 tracks and over 7 hours playing for the price of one album! Great music too!
    Interested to hear others' views on Progressive Rock.
  • edited January 2018
    Hi @peterfrederics and welcome to emusers! Thanks for joining in. It would be a good idea to move this post to a new thread focused on progressive rock, or maybe add it to this thread about things discovered at emusic, since we typically use this thread for posting what we are listening to at the moment and daily chit chat around that. Which is not to say folk won't necessarily reply here, there's just a better chance of building a themed discussion over time on a thematically apt thread!

(I listen to progressive rock sometimes. I wonder what you might think of this album, which I found just before Christmas)

Now playing:

Eluder - Lords
    (Free/NYOP)

• edited January 2018
    Well, I'd also like to welcome  @peterfrederics.  These are what I'm listening to as I'm re-editting my entire iTunes Library. I've been using Discogs to update Genres, artwork and release dates & now I'm a bit more confused at all different genres/styles things are categorized as. I'm in Canada and every track we download is 49 cents, so we don't get to take advantage of special multi-track album buys. I'll look forward to seeing what you're listening to. There's no end to interesting threads to explore, I'm still catching up.

2000                                                               2001

2002                                                               2007