What are you listening to right now? (16 Banners United)

Comments

• greg I hadn't even realized Arcade Fire had a new album out. In looking around for reviews (Pitchfork 5.6, Tiny Mix Tapes 1.5 stars), I found this interesting article about musicians and the streaming world: https://www.google.com/amp/pitchfork.com/thepitch/why-indie-bands-go-major-label-in-the-streaming-era/amp/

I knew streaming was out there but never realized how important it had become.

/dinosaur

Now playing David Bowie - Let's Dance
  • edited August 2017
    George Clanton - 100% Electronica

Thought I'd play something newer after that last post but this just wants to be Let's Dance! There is nothing new under the sun.

eta: that was a little harsh; I am actually enjoying this!
  • The Caretaker - Everywhere at the end of time-Stage 2

"The second stage is the self realisation and awareness that something is wrong with a refusal to accept that. More effort is made to remember so memories can be more long form with a little more deterioration in quality. The overall personal mood is generally lower than the first stage and at a point before confusion starts setting in."
  • Watch the Dizzy and Ella Prom
    View More From Prom 27: Ella and Dizzy: A Centenary Tribute 

Not sure if the link will work outside the UK. This was a Prom Concert a couple of weeks or so ago celebrating the lives of Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie. Absolutely brilliant!

• Mr Jukes - God First

followed by

Ghostpoet - Dark Days and Canapies

• Animal Collective- Fall Be Kind
  • Joanna Newsom - Divers
  • Animal Collective- Live at 9:30
  • Well the Double Bubble sale was on last weekend and Tzadik got most of the cash as expected. Interesting composer (he says catching up with music some of it 50 years old...)

Charles Wuorinen – On Alligators

And yes the cover did have something to do with why I tried this out. There's a chamber piece, a string quartet, a piano concerto and an organ piece. Fun for all the family.
  • Vektroid - Telnet Erotika
  • edited August 2017

releases September 20, 2017

Release date: 25 August 2017
  • Bob Marley - Legend
  • amc2 - thanks for the Pitchfork link, an interesting article. Although not mentioned, it might also explain why emusic seems to be moving towards more like a streaming service than a download company.
  • jtamul - Milk Bottle

A really nice electronic album from Turkey. Glad to have found this and other people might like it too... nyop: https://jtamul1.bandcamp.com/album/milk-bottle
  • edited August 2017
    Golden State

Flute and bassoon up front!
    I knew streaming was out there but never realized how important it had become.
    It has been a really rapid transition. Based on recent conversations, including some music fans who I guessed would know better, people are surprised to hear that "everything" isn't streaming.
  • death's dynamic shroud.wmv - I'll Try Living Like This

Also very nice but more weird and difficult; also nyop.
  • Eleanor Friedberger - Last Summer
  •  
    Daniel Menche - Crawling Towards the Sun & Odradek
  • edited August 2017
    Birdhoused

Two good new Chicago albums this week. Both nicely priced at eMusic. The George Freeman is on Bandcamp - He'll be featured at the Jazz Fest next week!
  • edited August 2017
    From New & Notable Classical Albums
    Ps-Thank goodness for that double credit special last week. It's fun to go exploring again.
    I had to listen to the second half twice. 
    Also, apparently this album comes with a digital booklet. Any hints where I'll find that?
  • Back to the Ds

Dave Shuford, Margot Bianca and Pigeons - Natch 2
    From the FMA - a really interesting collection of albums
  • One more David

David Toub - Darfur Pogrommen
    At the Archive
  • I've got 3 copies of Brilliant Trees on vinyl and this compilation album.
    Still one of my all-time favourites. 

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees/Words With The Shaman

•  
    Deaf Center - Owl Splinters & Recount
  • Two more from the Tzadik Marathon I'm on at the moment, oldies but goldies from cellist Okkyung Lee

Nihm - 2005

Noisy Love Songs - 2011
  • Sorry about the big picture there.

• edited August 2017

Dirac - Emphasis
    Bandcamp