What are you listening to right now? (Twenty Million Things [We'd Like to Do when COVID is over])

Comments

• The Vienna Choir Boys

1975                                               Christmas Festival
  • edited December 2020

Al Margolis (If, Bwana) - Oboes + (for Noah)
    released December 12, 2020
    New works for oboe etc....dedicated to Noah Creshevsky - dear friend and wonderful composer who just passed away at the end of 2020 just as these pieces were being finished - he will be missed.

Composed in 2003 and revised and remastered in 2020.

Marco Oppedisano, el. guitar and el. bass.

In honor of the late Noah Creshevsky 1945-2020

Out Your Ear (ASCAP)
    www.marcooppedisano.net

• Metro

1975                                       Metro's Eleven Days From Christmas
    Canadian comedian/musician, well known from the 1960's on. Metro's popularity peaked in the period encompassing the mid-1970's through the 1980's, after the release of the surprisingly popular "Metro's Eleven Days From Christmas" album in 1975.

• My Dad must have picked these up at the now defunct Radio Shack as he was a frequent visitor. My last additions to my Xmas rotation and it's back to the alphabet.

1983                                                   A Gift Of Christmas

1983                                              Christmas Party

• Notes from Dawn of Sound:
    The artists featured here were pioneer recordings artists whose names were well known in the era they lived. They helped start what is now known today as the record industry. They were popular artist in their time, and their records sold well in an era when movies were silent and radio and television did not yet exist.
    Of all things Christmas, nothing is more traditional than the singing of carols and songs....
    On October 30, 1889, banjoist Will Lyle made history by recording "Jingle Bells", the very first Christmas record. Although no known copies of this record survive, one of the earliest vocal examples of "Jingle Bells" does survive on an Edison brown wax cylinder entitled, "Sleigh Ride Party". It was made a decade later and is reissued here for the very first time in this collection. These songs and monologues from the original vintage recordings capture the essence of the Christmas spirit as it was in the opening two decades of the 20th Century.
    So gather up the family, wind up the phonograph and take a trip back in time to the early 1900's and celebrate the holidays with the "Voices of Christmas Past".
  • ^^Thanks, always room for one more and thanks to archive.org too!
  • Asmus Tietchens

An Anthology Of Noise & Electronic Music #3         2005                      ε-Menge
                  trk 18   -  Teilmenge 35 C

2006                         ζ-Menge                              2011                      Soirée

2015         Ornamente (Zwischen Null Und Eins)‬     2020            Glasgow 03​/​09​/​1999
    Emusic                                                                   Bandcamp
  • edited December 2020
    This one's rather wonderful, and surely one of the happiest-sounding releases of 2020.

• This has been a real slow grower for me. Did not like it at first listen. I am realizing that my mental expectation of what a Wil Bolton album would sound like was one culprit - this is rather different from his other stuff. The more I listen, the more I like it - it's becoming a favorite by slow degrees.
  • Incredible.

• edited December 2020

**********************************************************************************************
    released June 26, 2020
  • edited December 2020

Jimi Hendrix - Merry Christmas And Happy New Year EP!

• Atom Rhumba

2006                             Amateur Universes
  • Adrian Belew

1982                     Lone Rhino                              1989                  Mr. Music Head

1999                     Salad Days                               2004                      Side One
  • French Prog-Rock from Replica Records
    Atlantide

1976                            Atlantide
  • More French Prog-Rock from Replica Records
    Atoll

1974                Musiciens - Magiciens                  1975                    L'Araignée-Mal

1977                        Tertio

• 160 tracks gospel tracks from Dust-to-Digital
  • edited December 2020

(Compiled by Matthew Halsall) in aid of the Shelter Charity for homelessness
  • Paul McCartney McCartney III Review

I guess I preordered this, since it was delivered to iTunes this morning.

• New Amsterdam and Nonesuch Records release Tristan Perich’s Drift Multiply on November 13, 2020, as part of the partnership between the two labels. Drift Multiply is available to preorder now.

Drift Multiply, Tristan Perich’s largest work to date, is performed by fifty violins and fifty loudspeakers and is conducted by Douglas Perkins. Scored as one hundred individual lines of music, the piece blends violins and speakers into a cascading tapestry of tone, harmony, and noise. The violins perform from sheet music, while the speakers are each connected to custom-built circuit boards programmed to output 1-bit audio, the most basic digital waveforms made of just ones and zeroes. “I am interested in the threshold between the abstract world of computation and the physical world around us,” Perich explains.

Journalist Ben Ratliff wrote, “Drift Multiply uses ingredients which have become well-known in Perich’s work: strings or one-bit tones entering a section in layers of evenly-spaced notes or drones; quickly advancing depths and densities; harmony spreading across the space of the music in flickering, cascading, or wave-like motions; white noise, rendered in pulses or fields of sound.” He continues, “Steve Reich has been a fan since hearing 1-Bit Symphony. ‘I started listening to it, and I thought, my gosh … In some ways it reminded me of [Stravinsky’s] Petrushka. Who would think of electronic chips as summoning up anything as beautiful, musically, as that?’” Drift Multiply premiered at the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine for the 2018 Red Bull Music Festival. In 2019, it traveled to the Netherlands for Big Idea #01, where Lucinda Childs was commissioned to create a new large-scale dance to Drift Multiply, performed by 66 dancers in front of the live music.

New York–based composer Tristan Perich’s work is inspired by the aesthetic simplicity of math, physics, and code. The Wire describes his compositions as “an austere meeting of electronic and organic.” 1-Bit Music, his 2004 release, was the first album ever released as a microchip, programmed to synthesize his electronic composition live. His follow-up circuit album, 1-Bit Symphony, has received critical acclaim, with the Wall Street Journal saying “its oscillations have an intense, hypnotic force and a surprising emotional depth.” The New York Times called his latest circuit album, Noise Patterns, “techno for silicon-based life forms.” As an electronic musician, he has performed internationally, from Sonár, MUTEK, and the Barbican to the National Gallery of Art and The Kitchen. As a composer, he has received commissions from Sō Percussion, the LA Philharmonic, Vicky Chow, and more, as well as an award of distinction from Ars Electronica for his work for violins and 1-bit electronics, Active Field. As a visual artist, his audio installations, video works and machine drawings have received commissions from the likes of Rhizome and L’Auditori in Barcelona, and his artwork has been exhibited internationally, including the Museum of Modern Art, VOLT Festival, the San Diego Museum, and bitforms gallery. 

released November 13, 2020
    - Excelent !
  • Birighternow, thanks for the heads up on the Matter Halsall album, just bought it.

Teenage Fanclub _ songs from Northern Britain
  • The Anomoanon

2002       Asleep Many Years In The Wood             2004                       Joji
  • Wild Billy Childish & The Musicians Of The British Empire

1979                                                   Christmas 1979
This discussion has been closed.