Favourite Rock Albums from the late 60s and early 70s

Comments

• edited November 2022
    greg said:
    When "Smiling Phases" was included in that mighty sampler album "Fill Your Head With Rock"

I remember that track, and that album, well. I thnk I've still got the LP somewhere. Back in the day such samplers were really helpful to hear new music. Nowadays it is so much easier to lsten to something new
    It is amazing how many top bands I first encountered through that album but particularly its 1968 predecessor "The Rock Machine Turns You On" and, to a lesser extent,  "The Rock Machine: I Love You" - Spirit, BS&T, Taj Mahal, Electric Flag, Laura Nyro, The Byrds, Leonard Cohen, Moby Grape to name a few.

Being a fan of Cream, one I really liked was the Spirit song "Fresh Garbage"!

and "Can't Be So Bad" by Moby Grape

and how could I ever forget "Sisters Of Mercy" by Leonard Cohen

• "Runt. The Ballad of Todd Rundgren" the 1971 second solo album by Todd.

Class of 1970 Todd Rundgrens Runt  MUSICFESTNEWS
  • @peterfrederics

It is amazing how many top bands I first encountered through that album but particularly its 1968 predecessor "The Rock Machine Turns You On" and, to a lesser extent,  "The Rock Machine: I Love You" 

Yes, all three plus a few others from fifferent labels (eg El Pea) are still in my collection and gave me an introduction to many American bands of the time
  • edited November 2022
    greg said:
    @peterfrederics

It is amazing how many top bands I first encountered through that album but particularly its 1968 predecessor "The Rock Machine Turns You On" and, to a lesser extent,  "The Rock Machine: I Love You" 

Yes, all three plus a few others from fifferent labels (eg El Pea) are still in my collection and gave me an introduction to many American bands of the time
    And for samplers of British rock, it is difficult to go past those early Islands albums "You Can All Join In" and "Nice Enough To Eat" from 1969.

From those, I first heard King Crimson, John Martyn, Jethro Tull, Spooky Tooth, Mott the Hoople, Blodwyn Pig and, not to forget Dr. Strangely Strange's great song "Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal"!

To quote AMG "When the Island label sampler You Can All Join In crashed the U.K. Top 20 in June 1969, it represented one of the most unexpected marketing triumphs of the age.......You Can All Join In is one of those seamless compilations that simply cannot be improved upon......The early '70s were the golden age of British record-label samplers.......None, however, echoed either the success or the resonance of You Can All Join In, a status that led, in the early '90s, to a CD reissue (see my post below) for the original compilation. No greater testament to its timelessness could be called for."

you can all join in  Worst album covers Album covers Album cover art

La vie en musique Nice Enough To Eat
  • And if you want to relive those heady days back 50 years ago, what better way than the album set of "Strangely Strange but Oddly Normal: An Island Anthology 1967-1972"!

Various Artists - Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal- An Island Anthology  1967-1972 - Reviews - Album of The Year

CD Album - Various Artists - Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal - An Island  Anthology 1967-1972 - Island Remasters - Europe
  • Primary

Horton - Dancehall for Midgets (1976)

Not on any major label compilation that's for sure. Private Issue blues - psych outsider nonesense (as if the title didn't tell you that!)
    Very basic but with odd touches of Beefheart / Magic Band to stretch a point a little.

• And moving on to Dutch hippies / performance art

Primary

Album as banned / confiscated by those liberal chaps in the Dutch Police.

• @peterfrederics I've still got You can all join in. It was a great LP!
  • Heads Hands and Feet

Albert Lee, superb guitarist
  • The Tangerine Zoo s/t album from 1968

THE TANGERINE ZOO LPTANGERINE ZOOOLD  ROCKdiskunionnet
  • Back to Argentina for more Prog goodness.

• 9.30 Fly s/t album from 1972

930 Fly - Album by 930 Fly  Spotify
  • edited November 2022
    "Axe Music" the 1970 album by Crystalline alternatively called Axe, recently re-released on Guerssen Records on Bandcamp

Heard it for the first time the other day and it has fast become a firm favourite.

https://crystallineband.bandcamp.com/album/axe-music

• Rare Bird s/t 1969 album

Rare Bird - Rare Bird  Amazoncomau  Music
  • Warner Brothers Fruity vinyl LP album LP record UK WBTLPFR196828

I bought this one when it came out, introduced me to some great music
  • edited January 2023
    Jericho Jones (otherwise known as Jones and also Churchill's) were an obscure, early 70s band that came from Israel and based themselves in England.

To my mind, they were one of the best psychedelic bands of the era. Just try these two albums of theirs - "Jericho" and "Junkies, Monkeys & Donkeys".

• Well, once again not rock, but they were a part of my youth.
    Brenton Wood

Baby You Got It                                                    Oogum Boogum

• Stage Fright is by far my favorite album by The Band and an overall top pick for me.
  • edited January 2023
    Well, like many others I was saddened by the loss of David Crosby last week. With the help of the Archives this is my tribute day to him. He was a big part of my youth and will be sadly missed.
    The Byrds

Mr. Tambourine Man    archive.org                       Turn! Turn! Turn!    archive.org

The Byrds' Greatest Hits     archive.org                 Sweetheart Of The Rodeo

The Notorious Byrd Brothers     archive.org          (Untitled)

Byrdmaniax     archive.org                                    Easy Rider    archive.org

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Crosby, Stills & Nash      archive.org                    Déjà Vu      archive.org

4 Way Street

David Crosby

If I Could Only Remember My Name  archive.org

David CrosbyGraham Nash

Graham Nash / David Crosby    archive.org          Wind On The Water     archive.org

Ps- as usual there is some editing to do to the downloads.
  • edited January 2023
    Danish band Terje, Jesper Og Joachim’s s/t 1970 album

This is one that I could well imagine @Brighternow liking

• I remember seeing them when they were touring through Alberta in the early 70's which would turn
    out to be the loudest concert I can remember attending. Rain-O still remains one of my favourite tunes.
    The Collectors / Chilliwack

The Collectors     archive.org                                Grass And Wild Strawberries

Chilliwack                                                            Chilliwack II

Riding High

• I still find myself singing this at times - 
    ever since the mid-70s:

• ^^^ Made me think it's getting close to owl watching time!
  • Yes! Should be soon!

Here's another version of "Rain-O" about 6 years later
    from that same album "Dreams, Dreams, Dreams."

• edited March 2023
    "Calm Before....." by The Rising Storm. An amazingly good album by a group of schoolboys from 1967.

Do try the tracks "Don't Look Back", “Frozen Laughter”, “Mr. Wind” and “The Rain Falls Down”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUQ7LO_7dec

Primary