Favourite Rock Albums from the late 60s and early 70s

Comments

• edited March 2023
    One of my earliest and favourite buys from eMusic, well over 10 years ago. This was the album which gave me a fatal fascination for late 60s and early 70s Psych/Prog/Garage/Hard Rock bands that should have made it but didn't - "Beyond The Morning" by the London, England band Armada

Try my favourite track "Beyond The Morning" version 2 not version 1 (link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFn0BwJkv4&list=RDobFn0BwJkv4&index=1
    Beyond the Morning by Armada on Amazon Music - Amazoncouk

• edited March 2023
    "The North Star Grassman and the Ravens" by Sandy Denny. Her 1971 album made not long after she left Fairport Convention. Amongst the best if not the best British folksingers of the era. Such a shame that she died so young.

North Star Grassman And The Ravens Sandy Denny  CD album  Muziek   bolcom
  • edited March 2023
    "Gypsy People" an obscure 1969 Psychedelic Folk album by Jan and Lorraine.

I can't begin to understand why this wasn't a resounding success. It is deservedly rated 4.5 out of 5 stars by AMG and 4.28 out of 5 by Discogs.

Do try the YouTube link below to the album.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/gypsy-people-mw0000774121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y54Tw7fvQ00

Gypsy People by Jan and Lorraine on Apple Music
  • edited April 2023
    Most obscure of the obscure is this album "Chasing Rainbows" by Stoney and Jagged Edge.

A sensational heavy psych/hard rock album with loads of distorted guitar, fuzz and elements of Jimi H. 

• Well, just revisiting my first Seismic years 17-21 ('69-"73). Looking for oil in the Arctic in the winter 
    until break-up and summers mostly goofing around. I had a '71 Olds Cutlass S I traded in for a '73 
    Olds 442, went to Amsterdam with my girlfriend mostly hitch hiking our way to Spain, wound up 
    making our way through Morocco to Tarfaya to get into the Spanish Sahara and ended up in the 
    Canary Islands. Got married the next year, sold the car, got a normal job and started a family. 
    Fun musical years!!
    Dr. John

Gris-Gris                                                              Babylon

Remedies                                                             Dr. John's Gumbo

In The Right Place

• Suns out in London
  • Lucky you, nothing but Rain in Melbourne!

• edited April 2023
    Came across this album and wasn't expecting much but this 1967 "Index" s/t album turned out to be one of the best Psych/Garage albums that I've heard for a long time.

• edited April 2023
    Alacran s/t 1969 Prog/Acid Rock album.

Alacran is Spanish for scorpion.

AMG says "the edginess of the guitars and the deep Latin groove in the rhythms and minor-key melodies draw inevitable -- and accurate -- comparisons to Santana. Alacran is far more psychedelic and garage-y than the Santana band and, being a power trio, relied on the blues more as well. But nonetheless, this is the sound of Latin rock at the beginning, and the album is stellar. ......It remains an underground classic in the 21st century."

P.S. @rostasi I had never heard that Cruciferius! "A Nice Way Of Life" album. A really great listen!

Alacrn Albums songs discography biography and listening guide - Rate  Your Music

• A Very Snug Joiner”, an outstanding, long undiscovered album by Mad Timothy recorded back in 1969.

“Mad Timothy was a rock band active in central New Jersey from mid 1968 to mid 1970.  In the summer of ’69 they recorded nine songs for a demo album and twenty-five years later a copy was discovered in a Chicago thrift shop.  Eventually the original mono recording was released on vinyl and CD.  It would be two years before the band learned that the record was out.

• The Electric Prunes

The Electric Prunes                                               Underground      archive.org

Mass In F Minor
  • edited April 2023
    On the Electric theme, “Get It On” by Pacific Gas and Electric

• Dragon Universal Radio album cover

Dragon - Universal Radio 1974

First of two prog orientated albums from this New Zealand combo who went on to record more straight pop/rock. Melodic and organ lead songs, very fine. I love the lead/title track with its faster pace and hand drums. Prog Archives mentions a strong BritProg influence but I'm getting a mid 70's German vibe, not sure maybe Jane? New to me, pleased to find it. From Homer Simpson's favourite year in rock history.

• I have had mixed reactions to Hainbach's releases, but I find this latest one delightful. It's free/NYOP at the moment, I think for a couple more days.

• edited May 2023
    djh said:
    Dragon Universal Radio album cover

First of two prog orientated albums from this New Zealand combo who went on to record more straight pop/rock. Melodic and organ lead songs, very fine. I love the lead/title track with its faster pace and hand drums. Prog Archives mentions a strong BritProg influence but I'm getting a mid 70's German vibe, not sure maybe Jane? New to me, pleased to find it. From Homer Simpson's favourite year in rock history.

@djh Thanks for the reminder of Dragon. Great band that became really popular in Australia when they moved into straight rock. Their best known and outstanding song is "April Sun in Cuba". I can remember dancing with group of friends to the song on an AirBNB rooftop during, you guessed it, a sunny April day whilst on holiday in Cuba!!!

Why would an Australian?NZ band who had never been there compose and sing a song about Cuba!!?? Go figure!!

• djh said:

@djh Thanks for the reminder of Dragon. Great band that became really popular in Australia when they moved into straight rock. Their best known and outstanding song is "April Sun in Cuba". I can remember dancing with group of friends to the song on an AirBNB rooftop during, you guessed it, a sunny April day whilst on holiday in Cuba!!!

Why would an Australian?NZ band who had never been there compose and sing a song about Cuba!!?? Go figure!!

djh said:

I heard that the bloke who lost your last election tried to do a "man of the people" bit by doing an embarrassing Uke cover of that song... amazing what you pick up via Google. I think I read their drummer died? They have AirBNB in Cuba? That's that country f****d then.
  • edited May 2023
    Yes, true story about our former PM - very embarrassing! A couple of the band members died from overdoses and their front man, Marc Hunter, also died far too young.

Excuse my licence, Cuba certainly doesn’t have AirBNB! Outstanding place to visit with people playing music round every corner in a way I’ve never seen anywhere else. Also great if you are into 1950s and earlier cars!

• edited May 2023
    Whilst we’re talking about Dragon, here’s the Belgian version with their albums “Dragon” and “Kalahen”.

Again, good Progressive Rock from the 1970s.

• Nice photos! I've friends who visited about 15 years ago and they were very impressed despite not being (previously) big on the music.
  • Osibisa s/t album from 1971

Product main image
  • edited May 2023
    Eric Andersen  I first heard him on this album from '64 in my oldest brother's collection along with 
    these other great folks.

Dusty Boxcar Wall was an ear perked for me.

More Hits From Tin Can Alley                               The Best Of Eric Andersen

Blue River
  • Actually, this is 1980, but a fun obscurity...

Ginga Rale Band - Wir Bedauern

• It's been a while since this one tickled my ear lobes

The 13th Floor Elevators Bull Of The Woods  Proper Music
    It may not be Easter Everywhere but y'know, mighty fine.

• Fairport Convention

Fairport Convention                                           What We Did On Our Holidays (US-Fairport Convention)

Unhalfbricking                                                      Liege & Lief

I also found this newer album at archive.org.

Shuffle And Go
  • Back in the day, over 50 years ago, I quite liked Fairport Convention. In the mid 70s I bought a greatest hits type double LP, that I still have It had a band Family Tree which is fascinating. I did have Unhalfbricking and Leige and Lief LPs to but they've got borrowed/lost somewhere in the midst of time.
  • > @greg said:
    >

Good old Pete Frame eh? If only someone was mad enough to do a jazz version of Rock's Family Tree!