What are you listening to (B)right(er)now? (22 Weight Lifting Lulus)

Comments

• Back to Argentina with thanks to @djh for introducing us to Audion.

"Anabelas" the 1978 album by Bubu. It is rated No. 2 album for 1978 and the No. 2 Argentinian album of all time by ProgArchives.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3184

• Yawning Man

Rock Formations                                                            Historical Graffiti

The Revolt Against Tired Noises                                     Macedonian Lines

• Finnish quintet (with guests) mining a melodic 1970's pych prog vein. Accomplished to say the least.
    In sequence
    Malady - Malady (2015)
    Malady - Toinen Toista (2018)
    Malady - Ainavihantaa (2021)

Lots of organ, mellotron, woodwind, strings, etc Supposedly grew out of a side project of a stoner / doom band. Good production.

• Back to Argentina with thanks to @djh for introducing us to Audion.

"Anabelas" the 1978 album by Bubu. It is rated No. 2 album for 1978 and the No. 2 Argentinian album of all time by ProgArchives.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3184

Good call on Bubu, glad you like Audion. There aren't that many "ground level" fanzines out there these days and I like how Los Bros Freeman have engaged with the digital age while continuing the spirit of their print endevours.
  • Gosh, we’ve been talking Audion here for years.
  • In Search of Our Father's Gardens

by RA Washington / Jah Nada

• rostasi said:
    Gosh, we’ve been talking Audion here for years.

True, but if it was new for @peterfrederics the message hadn't travelled as far as it needed!
    Tricky marketing by same had me buy these two differing archival releases by the brothers.

The Alto Stratus is a sort of imaginary SF movie soundtrack using their first primitive synths. The second  credited to an earlier incarnation Vrije is more industrial / concrete music using noise and radio cut ups including more than a little football news which makes me think they recorded it on a Saturday afternoon!

• Models of Duration

by John McCowen

Here is that solo contrabass clarinet (+ electronics, of course) album we have been waiting for

• Doofy said:

Models of Duration

by John McCowen

Here is that solo contrabass clarinet (+ electronics, of course) album we have been waiting for

Just been discussing that in a review for the APA I'm a member of. Have you heard his earlier albums? He tends to jump label for each release.
  • Doofy said:

Models of Duration

by John McCowen

Great stuff - thanks!!
  • P.S. A related bargain.
  • @djh I do have "Solo Contra"! Will have to pull it up, haven't listened in a while. With the new one, I feel like it would be best heard live in a small space (say a closet), bass rumbling your bones
  • edited October 2022
    rostasi said:
    Better late than never!

To save me going through all 71 issues, are there any particular ones that the group would recommend?
  • rostasi said:
    Better late than never!

To save me going through all 71 issues, are there any particular ones that the group would recommend?

To be honest my take on that is to just check the cover features and either avoid because you know it already (say the Canturbury scene or in depth early King Crimson) but be aware there are plenty of hidden delights in the review pages. Also not all 71 issues have been digitised. Other than that I like to go to the early issues as they remind me of a time before the internet "spoiled" us all. Their round up reviews are also interesting, various issues from when they got a clutch of cd re-issues from labels like Musea for example or histories of labels like Pilz. Sorry not very helpful. In general there is probably more emphasis on weird / industrial /NWW material in early issues because that was an area they were exploring as budding musicians.
  • @djh thanks and sounds like a good project!
  • Listening to my all-time favourite rock album, The Doors first album. Acquired it in 1967, the year it came out, and it has been a constant on the turntable ever since.

I reckon that AMG is spot on when it says "A tremendous debut album, and indeed one of the best first-time outings in rock history".

And this is all in preparation for heading off to see one of their top tribute bands live, here in Melbourne - "The Doors Alive".

I will be dressed in my The Doors first album t-shirt, face mask and cap!

Doors - Doors  Original 1967 Stereo Mix Amazonde CDs  Vinyl
  • Zavoloka (from FMA)

Suspenzia                                                                       1

Plavyna
  • Message from Home by SandersPharoah  CD  condition very good

Bought for a £1 in my local charity shop
  • Plong42 said:
    Ayreon - Universal Migrator Part I  Ii - Amazoncom Music

ooh, seen him live a couple of times. Excellent shows.
  • Lowlife said:
    Message from Home by SandersPharoah  CD  condition very good

Bought for a £1 in my local charity shop

£1! Good score that's a great mellow later release as I remember. I bought it / or maybe it was released roughly around the time I saw him at Ronnie Scott's.
  • eythian - I picked up this and The Theory of Everything last week on Bandcamp. Someone IRL recommended Nightwish, and poking around there led me to Arjen Anthony Lucassen / Ayreon. I have fallen into the deep rabbit hole of Finnish and Dutch prog metal...

• Februarys by Taylor Deupree & Marcus Fischer
    Very nice recent release. Deupree once described his music as something along the lines of 'spreading pools of stillness' - that fits this very well.
  • Well, these will bring me to the end of the alphabet again. One more time through and I hope to be caught up.
    Zbigniew Karkowski / Tetsuo Furudate / Zeitkratzer

World As Will                                                        World As Will II

Zbigniew Karkowski/Tetsuo Furudate/Zeitkratzer  Zeitkratzer / John Duncan - Fresh
    World As Will III
  • Plong42 said:
    eythian - I picked up this and The Theory of Everything last week on Bandcamp. Someone IRL recommended Nightwish, and poking around there led me to Arjen Anthony Lucassen / Ayreon. I have fallen into the deep rabbit hole of Finnish and Dutch prog metal...

Also check out his side projects, there's a few of them, the only one that comes to mind right now is Star One. Northern Europe prog metal is a pretty deep rabbit hole indeed. I'm also fond of Anathema (British), and mostly the stuff from Eternity and afterwards, that's about when they moved from doom metal to prog metal. There's a spinoff band called Antimatter also which might appeal.
  • @eythian - thanks for those recommendations. I just dipped into Antimatter...started with Saviour (2002).
  • Plong42 said:
    @eythian - thanks for those recommendations. I just dipped into Antimatter...started with Saviour (2002).

And just now I got a notification that Ayreon/Lucasson is performing live again next year: https://www.arjenlucassen.com/live/ should you be in the area.

This discussion has been closed.