What Are You Listening to (23) Skidoo?

Comments

• Curandero  (Ty BurhoeMiguel Espinoza)

Curandero                                                            Aras     with Béla Fleck and Kai Eckhardt
  • Curtis Mayfield

Curtis      archive.org                                           Roots

Curtis / Live!                                                       Superfly (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Back To The World       archive.org
  • Black Widow Sacrifice album cover

More like Jethro Tull try to summon Satan than a Black Metal album. Good fun if you like that sort of thing.

• ^^^Such a good album^^^
  • I'll spend this morning with an old friend. I was hooked the first time I heard "I Scare Myself"
    & "How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away?". I've enjoyed all their early '70s releases.
    Great music and good mix of goofiness.
    Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks
    Benito CortezDan HicksJaime LeopoldJohn GirtonJon WeberMaryann PriceNaomi Eisenberg
    Sid PageTerry Wilson

Original Recordings

...I scare myself when I let my thoughts run...
  • edited March 2023

As a Silent Tongue Shadow by David Cordero & Pepo Galán
    A little while ago I bought the whole Muzan Editions discography, and I am still only a little way into unzipping the albums. As with most mass label buys, it's a mixed bag, but I am enjoying this one. The track Deva is especially good.
  • djh said:
    Black Widow Sacrifice album cover

More like Jethro Tull try to summon Satan than a Black Metal album. Good fun if you like that sort of thing.

@djh I certainly do!
  • edited March 2023
    “Espers II” a psych folk album by Espers

• djh said:
    Black Widow Sacrifice album cover

@djh I certainly do!

I was going to tag you as I thought it almost certain that you knew the album; it's sort of famously obscurely famous.

Meanwhile its still a winter wonderland outside so still hunkering in the bunker up here with this cavernous morning drone.

rv paintings - Samoa Highway

• 1981 Space Cadet music
  • Daniel Bachman

Seven Pines                                                          Oh Be Joyful

Jesus I'm A Sinner                                                 River
  • Daniel Lanois

Acadie                                                                  For The Beauty Of Wynona

Shine
  • Back reliving my youth...
    Danny O'Keefe

Danny O'Keefe           archive.org                                          O'Keefe       archive.org

Breezy Stories                                                      So Long Harry Truman

American Roulette

Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues
  • edited March 2023
    One of my favourite Post Rock albums, "All Of The Sudden I Miss Everyone" by Explosions In The Sky.

I saw them live in Melbourne seven years ago and they were outstanding

• edited March 2023
    Another great Post Rock album but sadly underrated is "///Codename: Dustsucker" by Bark Psychosis

Codename Dustsucker on Spotify
  • edited March 2023
    My final Post Rock album for the day is "The For Carnation" s/t album. The band includes Brian McMahan from Slint who were at the peak of Post Rock excellence.

Do try the youtube link below for one of my all-time favourite Post Rock tracks, "Moonbeams"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIhj4WE5jis

I would be really interested to hear what are everybody else's favourite Post Rock albums 

The For Carnation - The For Carnation  Releases  Discogs

• ^^^ @peterfrederics - While I don't consider his solo albums Post Rock, his work with Tarentel and
    The Drift certainly fit the bill. I'll look forward to revisiting them both later this month and down the
    road.
    Danny Paul Grody

Fountain                                                               In Search Of Light

Between Two Worlds                                            Other States 
  • Another great Post Rock album but sadly underrated is "///Codename: Dustsucker" by Bark Psychosis

Codename Dustsucker on Spotify
    Dustsucker is a legendary album amongst some of my friends. Certainly a bit different from earlier Bark Psychosis.

• Dub Roots by Prince Douglas on Apple Music

Another great Wackies production, back in London I used to buy my Wackies (cd re-issues I'm afraid!) from Honest Johns in Portabello.

And previously

Huntsville For The Middle Class CD

Huntsville - For the Middle Class
    Norwegian folk-jazz come post rock. From way back in 2006. I think I missed this one as my first splurge of enthusiasm for everything Rune Grammofon was over by the turn of the millenium, previously I'd bought the collection Supersilent 1-3 direct from the label because I couldn't find it in London after seeing a stonking show at the South Bank.

SCore - Pretension Full Cassette - YouTube

S-Core - Pretention more on the leftfield experimental tip. Industrial / drone tapeworks on the Staaltape label 1988. Don't know who was hiding behind the project name.

• S-Core is Yutaka Tanaka, Japanese guy who works with a lot of noise artists
    like Merzbow and If, Bwana, etc. Also used to be a band named Man Decade,
    but I don't know what he does now.

That Prince Douglas dub is a really nice slice from the earliest 80s.
    I'm gonna bring that out now to listen. Thanks for the reminder!
  • rostasi said:
    S-Core is Yutaka Tanaka, Japanese guy who works with a lot of noise artists

rostasi said:
    S-Core is Yutaka Tanaka, Japanese guy who works with a lot of noise artists

Thanks for the Tanaka info. It's missing from BC and Discogs. Name vaguely rings a bell. And hey that Prince Douglas was an online find from a blogger who goes apeshit for dub every now and again. Message me if you want details - though I'm guessing you might know.
  • Yeah, I have had that Douglas Dub for over 40 years.
    When I say that I'm "gonna bring that out", it used to mean
    to reach and pull the LP, but I can't easily find stuff doing that anymore - 
    I just have to go to my digital collection and bring it "out" from there.
    Thanks tho for the offer of details and such...

I'm gonna put it on soon, but I'm kinda stuck playing around with some software
    and creating something that's a repeating funky Thai instrumental riff that slowly
    changes over time. These riffs are sometimes good to use as music beds for "Random Radio."
    I can change the degree of change, so sometimes it can sound like a very long,
    drawn-out Steve Reich segment that can go on indefinitely.
  • djh said:

Thanks for the Tanaka info. It's missing from BC and Discogs. Name vaguely rings a bell. And hey that Prince Douglas was an online find from a blogger who goes apeshit for dub every now and again. Message me if you want details - though I'm guessing you might know.
    @djh fyi Rate Your Music is a great source for that kind of information 

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/s_core
  • @confused totally agree with you re Tarentel and The Drift. Thanks for the reminder which got me listening to Tarentel's "From Bone to Satellite" and The Drift's "Noumena"

From Bone To Satellite  Deluxe Expanded Edition  Tarentel

Noumena  The Drift
  • edited March 2023
    And another one to add to the list, "Young Team" by Mogwai

Mogwai - Young Team Hobbies  Toys Music  Media CDs  DVDs on Carousell
  • djh said:

@djh fyi Rate Your Music is a great source for that kind of information 

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/s_core

Yes RYM is a good resourse, just forgot. Also I have to admit it is a dangerous place if you are short on time. I tend to have a tab open on a page of RYM lists and another with Bandcamp or YouTube so I can disappear down a rabbit hole. (File under First World problems...)
  • Danny ThompsonAllan HoldsworthJohn Stevens - Propensity 

Jon Thorne & Danny Thompson - Watching The Well
This discussion has been closed.