RIP

Comments

• Very sad to hear the news of Dolores from the Cranberries, first two albums were really good
  • I agree Lowlife, way to young at 46 
  • Edwin Hawkins, gospel singer most known for Oh Happy Day
  • Hugh Masekela (and Ursula K. Le Guin).  I appreciate them both.
  • Mark E. Smith

Gutted ... no words really.
    Can't believe there'll be no more.

I started reading this again last week.
    Still a good read. More theses will be 
    written for many more years. Not a bad thing.

• The Fall were such an original band, friends of mine talked about the band in hushed tones but the love from them was there to be seen. I loved the odd track, Hit the North was wonderful but what I loved was Mark E Smith's pure not give a crap attitude. He was an original, never deviated from what he believed in. My best quote from him was if it was just him and his granny on bongos it would still be The Fall.

When my mates use to talk about him in the pub I used to shout out Oswald Mosley Defence Lawyer to withering looks, must phone them tomorrow to offer my sorrows to them. RIP MES

• Icelandic composer Johann Johannsson, whose work has appeared in films such as The Theory Of Everything, has died aged 48, his management has confirmed.

The musician and producer, who won a Golden Globe for his score to the 2014 Stephen Hawking biopic starring Eddie Redmayne, was found dead in Berlin on Friday.

His representatives, Redbird Music Management, announced the news on Facebook, writing: "It is with profound sadness that we confirm the passing of our dear friend Johann."

• edited February 2018
    His Royal Highness Prince Henrik of Denmark is dead
    1934 - 2018

- Besides being the husband of our Queen, he was also an excellent piano player and a poet:

HRH Prince Henrik reads his poem Côte a Côte in a recording by Katrine Ring. She created the soundscape for the poem staged with sounds and the music of Aprés Un Rêve by Gabriel Fauré, played by the German cello player Claudius Popp. The choreographer Kristen McNally created a ballet performed by Francesca Hayward & Thomas Whitehead. Initiated by Jens-Christian Wandt, artistic director of Verdensballetten. Opening show in 2014
  • edited February 2018
    ^^^^^ ^^^^^^
    The man who wanted to be King.

I've been listening again to an
    interview with Xenakis' widow 
    who passed away on Monday.
  • Stephen Hawking. RIP and very sad, but still it is amazing how long he lived and how much he accomplished after being diagnosed and told he had only a few years at most!
  • > @rostasi said:
    > Cecil Taylor (1929 - 2018)

This is a big one isn't? ?Last of the Giants.
  • CT is a "big one" for sure, but Braxton is still going, so I wonder about "last".
  • kargatron said:
    CT is a "big one" for sure, but Braxton is still going, so I wonder about "last".
    Quite correct, how I forgot an artist like A.B. that I've actually met and chatted too I don't know ;-) There are several European names as well but, well you know, a great loss regardless.
  • Bob Dorough (1923-2018)

He was a funny guy.
    I still have a letter around here somewhere that he sent to me.
    We had a pretty lengthy, funny talk on the phone when I had a
    record store in the 90s. He followed up with a nice, but funny letter.
    His vocals, like a lot of unique stylists, was an acquired taste for some.

• Sad news! My 3 sons were born in the 70's and we spent many cartoon Saturday mornings watching & listening to Schoolhouse Rock. His version of "Baby It's Cold Outside" with Blossom Dearie is my favourite. I'll think of him every Christmas for sure.
  • From the NY Times in 1984:

"Bob Dorough is a singer with a highly personal style, a pianist with a strong background in jazz, a collector of interesting songs both familiar and unfamiliar, including many of his own, and a slightly urbanized down- home manner that envelops everything he does.

He was at Panache, Avenue of the Americas near 58th Street, on Friday evening with the bassist Bill Takas, who has been his associate for almost 30 years, charming his audience with his laconic Arkansas twang and his wry and rhythmic songs. Mr. Dorough has an ability to open up and clarify the sense of a song such as ''Baltimore Oriole'' or to make an unexpectedly dramatic and effective entrance on ''Skylark'' by hanging on to the letter S.

But his individuality blossoms in a song he wrote using as a lyric the definition of love in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary - five meanings, four of them relating to attachments, the fifth to tennis: ''No points - you have nothing.''

He draws on the songs of Dave Frishberg, giving his ''another song about Paris'' a country- boy air, and he catches the spirit of the boogie-woogie pianist Jimmy Yancey playing and singing Bill Loughborough's understanding portrait called simply ''Yancy.''

There is no other performer quite like Mr. Dorough and he deserves more accessibility than the series of Friday nights he has been doing at Panache."

• No mention of Scott Hutchinson of Frightened Rabbit yet? I found this band through eMusic. How sad that I also learned about his disappearance through the eMusic Twitter account.
  • edited May 2018

Gérard HOURBETTE (Art Zoyd)

November 23, 1953 - May 4, 2018
  • @Brighternow Sad to hear about Gerard Hourbette and at such a young age relatively speaking. Must pull out Phase IV for a listen; one of my first purchases from what was then Recommended Records (helmed by Chris Cutler of Henry Cow fame).
  • Sad to hear, another young/old musician gone. I'm lucky enough to have enjoyed some of Branca's music while he was alive, and until now, not aware of Gerard Hourbette at all. 
  • Since July of 1982, I’ve been of multiple minds about him.
    At the New Music America festival in Chicago, a few of us
    were sitting next to or near Cage during a Branca performance
    while Cage was visibly disturbed about what he was seeing.
    He was visibly shaking and wanted to leave, but he found
    that even tho he didn’t want to stay seated, he found that
    he couldn’t get up either. He talked about it for days afterward.
    Much of what he said in many ways made sense that he’d think
    that way considering his approach to life and music. It certainly
    made me think at the time, but I’d since loosened my
    quasi-inflexible grip on those ideas - probably because Cage
    finally did too later and pointed out how it is always better to
    try to open up that which reflexively would stay closed.

Interestingly (and inevitably), the next night, Jeffrey Lohn came
    on stage and tried to approximate the same Branca sound since
    Branca had caused such controversy the night before. I think
    people caught on ‘cause it didn’t seem to get the same attention.

• Well then, I'll look forward to hearing Symphony No. 2 (The Peak Of The Sacred) - Recorded live at St. Mark's Church, NYC on May 14, 1982. One of a few new additions from Emusic. Thanks for the visual.
  • @rostasi Don't think I saw anything like the reaction Cage had to Branca's music, mainly fannish adoration at I think the London premier of the 10th Symphony. I was there chiefly thanks to my old mucker Brian Duguid who was then the publisher of E.S.T. fanzine

• Yes, he received a lot of "fannish adoration" at nearly every gathering I'm sure.
    I'm just relaying the story to show another side of an approach to the
    socialization/politicization of sound events.