Guvera

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Erm, I've gotten it 3 times now. So, thanks, Guvera!
    If it was supposed to be a one-time deal, it's borked. But hey, you know, take your time fixing it!
  • I wish Big Head Todd & the Monsters "Bittersweet" wasn't the live version. But that'll do, pig *

*nod to an Aussie movie
  • @cafreema - intersting - I scrobble nearly all of my tracks and haven't noticed an issue myself, though I've never looked that hard, and I scrobble from a different client. I'll bring it up.

And yes, last week two major things were turned in - tile vs list for search results (I like it a whole lot more), and the search has had some VAST improvements. My fav is phonetic searching - if you search for 'Breetineay Speers', it will give you results for Britney Spears. Tons more tweaks for search are coming, just adding new pieces one at a time.
  • edited February 2013
    Hey, Squeeze. Lots of it...

Those newly re-added XTC albums seem to say they're DL only when you try to stream them and vice versa.

eta, Haven't noticed any problems scrobbling Guvera tracks.
  • I was about to ask how people were scrobbling Guvera, but I guess you mean locally, not when streaming? I'd like to scrobble Guvera streams, but find no options. Too fringe to overlap with the scrobbling community yet, I guess (enough to drive the capability). I'm glad my rdio account scrobbles (I only stream ECM from Guvera anyway).
  • Kargatron - all offline scrobbling, ie from the ipod or from some media player with the scrobble plugin.

I have been wanting to scrobble direct from streams on the site for years, still bring it up once a month. Maybe one day?
  • @dddanmar, the phonetic searching is useful for picking up typos when you're unsure of the precise spelling of artist's name. At first I feared it was biased to Britney (bless her) when it failed to deduce that Jon Abbakromby meant John Abercrombie. But then it coped fine with Steev Tibits. Hopefully soon you can implement the upgrade where we hum a few bars of the song and it finds it :-).

I am seeing a bug whereby after a playlist has more than a certain number of items then in the left hand window split where the list is displayed you can't scroll down and see all of them.
  • Hopefully soon you can implement the upgrade where we hum a few bars of the song and it finds it :-).
    And how will you find the ambient and experimental gems?
  • And how will you find the ambient and experimental gems?
    Overtone and stochastic rhythmic event analysis, of course.
  • Not being very good at holding a tune, the drone pieces will be much easier for me to hum.
  • I remember when Shazaam first came out, I tried to hum / sing a few songs into it to see if it would find the song. It never did. I just can't sing even remotely well.

I'm trying to replicate that playlist bug GP - what browser are you noticing it on? Also, the playlists are max 200 tracks per list, this might be the reason?
  • There's virtual beers on me if anyone can hum Frank Zappa's King Kong
    I've tried for 40 years . . . Still can't do it.
    :-)
  • edited February 2013
    I'm in Chrome, and no, I'm not up to 200. Seems to happen after about the first 30 or 40. Playlist is constructed by adding albums (I am tending to use the playlist feature as a save for later rather than a playlist). I've also added then deleted a lot of items from that list for the same reason. (Just in case any of that is relevant detail)
  • edited February 2013
    No 500,000 tile, no 2-credit tile. Down to 3 (8, with McDs).
  • 3 here, also. They're not just picking on you! winky
  • Ugh, losing downloads like crazy now. I was doing well picking an album I could download and then piggybacking other albums in another window. But now it seems like every album I go for times out. I had about 10 minutes this morning when I could download. At this point I'm going to start losing more downloads than I get so it'll be just getting credits for awhile now.
  • I downloaded some stuff this morning and it worked fine. Got the first Siouxsie and the Banshees singles collection (Once Uon A Time) and two Motorhead albums (thanks to whoever it was that mentioned Motorhead earlier in this thread). Like others, down to three credits a day now.
  • I've never had any download problems, fortunately. Page-load problems, plenty.
  • Hmm, you know I just tried in Firefox and it worked right away. Did I never try another browser before? We'll see when I get home tonight...
  • edited February 2013
    @GP - we found what your issue was with the playlists, the fix should be live in the next few days.
    @thom, I am looking into time out issues with week, it is a VERY edge case that only seems to affect a few people still (ie: you plus another 2 that I know of), it would be interesting to know if you have a better response in a different browser!
  • The 3-credit tile from McD is gone: down to 5/day overall.
  • I can only manage 3.
  • Karg, there is an additional Facebook thing for those of us willing to sell our souls on behalf of McDonald's
  • @dddanmar - I was fairly successful last night with Firefox, finishing off a couple albums and downloading another complete one. Just tried here at work and it was fine, too. I'm thinking that the last time I tried Firefox over Chrome it was for a totally different issue and that one effected almost everyone (something with the ads). Kicking myself for not trying again (wasted a lot of credits). Anyway, here's a partial rundown for you:

Chrome 24.0.1312.57 m on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit
    Chrome (not sure) on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Chrome (not sure) on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

The ones I'm not sure about are most likely the latest version of Chrome, too since I keep them updated.
  • edited February 2013
    Do you know this face? Take my word for it, you should get to if you don't. Lost In The Ozone, the very first album from Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen and G.'s got it - stoner freaks doing hell raising country & western/R&R with attitude decades before alt-country was an itch in its daddy's pants. This album changed my young musical world.
    612dPsV14kL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • So Massachusetts wants to nominate "Roadrunner" by The Modern Lovers as its official state rock song.

Since Guvera is such an excellent source of punk and post-punk, I checked for availability of the album and, lo and behold, it's on there. 17 tracks. Almost 10 bucks on Amazon and eMu.

Thank you, Guvera.
  • MrVMrV
    edited February 2013
    @Big D:
    Back in the day, early 70's?, I hung out with a loosely affiliated bunch and we called ourselves the Ozone Rangers, in homage to the Commander and his Airmen. Their music always figured prominently at our roast outs. We only got to see him live one time, somewhere near New Haven, Ct. Strangely enough I don't really remember much about the concert.
  • Guvera phonetic search results for "Paul Lytton" include "Latin Pool Party" - Uncanny, how did they know that's exactly what I meant!
  • So Massachusetts wants to nominate "Roadrunner" by The Modern Lovers as its official state rock song.
    A better choice than "More Than a Feeling."

Stop & Shop will forever be immortalized.
  • Doofy, wondering what major-label releases featuring Paul Lytton you were hoping for... :)