Guvera

Comments

• Time Out and Time Further Out are essential, I like all the "jazz goes to college" albums, the two Jazz Impressions albums and Angel Eyes are great. At Carnegie Hall was the first jazz I ever listened two, after discovering the red vinyl copy my Dad had. After Paul Desmond left (1967), things were never quite the same. He did some oratorio / cantata work as well.
  • edited March 2013
    Actually I meant Time Out above, not Take Five. Thanks for the other titles - not sure which are on Guv. Will do some digging later.
  • Imo, Desmond would be a more fruitful investigation target - definitely seek his non-Brubeck work with (separately) Jim Hall and Gerry Mulligan.
  • I agree that post-classic Brubeck Quartet, Paul Desmond is better. Two of a Mind and Quartet, for example.
  • 41ql1B3ibvL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Probably mentioned before, but thought I'd do so again in light of some of the names discussed lately. From 1975.
  • Thanks, Doofy. I got that one a couple of months back - but as my awareness of who is who is expanding at Guvera speed, I had not realized who else was on it who has become interesting to me since.
  • Nobody has posted about the 3 credits. We're down to

1- When in doubt peace & pout (rainbow background)
    1- tweet tweet (light blue)
    1 -music exclusives giveaways/let's be freinds (dark blue)

Not that I'm complaining. Just saying.
  • I don't know if they're new or have been there before, but there are a bunch of Frank Zappa/Mothers albums.
  • edited March 2013
    61yNnzoxZKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Rzzzz! Has to be one of my favorite album covers ever.
  • edited March 2013
    Indeed a great cover,and a wonderful album too. Back in the days when it was released Frank broke all trends and conventions of how a cover should look like.
    - I remember when I bought the vinyl, my friends laughed at me and asked me how I could buy such a terrible album with such an ugly cover.
    - This is with no doubt one of the best albums from that Zappa era. - Didja Get Any Onya?
  • Even more than that was dropped at eMusic recently...'twould have been an earthshaking eMu event, back in the day. Not there is my personal favorite, "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar"...I remember how envious I was back in the early 80s, when a friend of a friend had all the original LPs! ordered directly from Barking Pumpkin, as I recall...I bought the CD set a few years ago.
  • edited March 2013
    For anyone still navigating misfiled ECM, it's worth doing a search for Jack DeJohnette and trawling the results. Albums there by Keith Jarrett, Miroslav Vitous, John Surman...
  • And talking of misfiled ECM....I had several times searched for 'Timeless' by John Abercrombie.
    It does not show up in a search for "John Abercrombie".
    It does not show up in a search for "Timeless".
    But do a search for Jack DeJohnette and scroll all the way down...and there it is.

If anyone finds some arcane search that uncovers that Sargasso Sea or In the Moment are hiding on there somewhere, do let me know.

@dddanmar, apparently the search engine does not always find albums from an exact search for the album title.
  • I finally thought it was time to check out Guvera. I registered yesterday and verified my registration through an email they sent me. Evidently, I have to wait for something else to happen? When I go to the Guvera website, I see no music anywhere - only two tabs, Profile and Overview, both of which are just my own personal information.
  • 616z9lfmgpL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

What a breath of fresh air this record was when it came out. Although you hear the "hits" a lot, it's been ages since I heard the whole album.

Reading up on this record, I learn that it's actually assembled together from their first 2 UK LPs, the first of which was produced by Dave Edmunds.
  • @BT, Dougie MacLean! When you explore, you will definitely have to check out his album Tribute, if they have it and if you don't already. I'm almost positive you'll like it. Can't wait to browse through Guvera's selection. I guess I have to wait til they activate my account and will send me an email when they do?
  • OK - I guess Guvera is not for me. GP, you asked if I was in tile view. I guess I am in tile view, after all. When I first go to the site's homepage, a bunch of album covers are pictured.

Among all the album covers I see on the homepage, there are two that look like advertising promotion stuff - both of which you have to either 'like' on Facebook, or tweet something. I don't do Facebook or Twitter - crap, does that mean I won't ever be able to build up any credits?
  • I'm not sure - sometimes those adds have credits and sometimes they don't; if they have credits, they say so in little text at the bottom. If they don't have that, keep clicking them, and closing the new windows, until you get one with credits - then click it. It never really requires you to do anything on Facebook or twitter, but I'm not sure if you need a Facebook account. You should be able to get three a day with those adds; there are two more if you "encanta" McDonald's on Facebook.
  • Kez, you do not need an FB or Twitter account. Those links open up new windows on the Guv social media sites, but you don't need to do anything else to get credits.

You do need to share an FB thing to get the McD's credits (although even then, your friends need not see it).
  • @kez, keep clikcing on those promotional tiles and they will change. Three of them have credits attached. Click to get the credit and it opens anew window, but you don;t have to do anything else to the new window (though I can;t remember if you have to link to facebook for one of them).
  • kezkez
    edited March 2013
    Thanks, Doofy, GP, amclark2. I have only seen 3 promotional tiles all day - one for Filtrate Eyeware, "Like Steaz on Facebook" and "Music Exclusive Giveaways" which sometimes changes to "When in Doubt, Peace & Pout", all of which are facebook things.

GP - I can't imagine what 3 tiles you're seeing that have credits attached to them. None of the 3 I mentioned have any credits attached to them anywhere that I can see.

I never thought I'd go out of my way to look so hard for advertisements!
  • OMG - I now have the number '3' displayed in my downloads tab. Guess I have 3 credits, after all!
  • edited March 2013
    @kez, Homey don't do Facebook or Twitter either - you can still collect some downloads. Click on the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram tiles as they come up - they will open in a new tab - allow the gyrating symbol at the left of the address bar to settle, then close it out. It may not add the download the first shot, you may have to open each twice before it does, but it will. The "Like" Steaz or Filtrate tiles will not add downloads (?unless you are logged in to Facebook?) but click through them anyhow to get the other tiles to appear/re-appear as needed. When the two tiles at the top of the page have been clicked through at least twice and don't change, you're done, and all things being equal you should have collected 3 downloads (displayed upper left). Sometimes other promo tiles come along - keep tuned to this Bat Station, someone's bound to holler about it.

Edit -@kez - you did it. Beat me onto the page by a few.
  • Thanks, BigD. I feel gooood - 3 credits.
  • Think of it as 1+ free albums a week for clicking a slightly annoying bunch of times.
  • Yeah, how great is that? I should have checked Guvera out a long time ago!
  • Can anyone tell me if Guvera will be getting the new Son Volt album in the US? And if so, when?
  • We can't. Most labels haven't updated on Gu since September.