Guvera

Comments

• Well I'm done; just used up my last credits. I was going to get Bowie's Scary Monsters but it got turned into streaming only, so my final 20 tracks ended up being Andrew WK's 55 Cadillac, Boredoms' Super
  • There's been a massive drop of Legacy stuff, looks like-- new Bob Dylan, Lenoard Cohen, Harry Nilsson (!), Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, the Clash... anybody else find anything good?

M
  • Well. This would be exciting news, if only...!

I saw FB commenters a while ago asking about promised credits, but they seemed to be Aussie
  • Also appears that things that were "streaming only" are now available for download (sometimes there's a new duplicate version...). All the Bowie stuff appears to be back.

I am burning through the hundreds of credits I've got stored up and filling some obvious holes in my digital collection. Carole King Tapestry? Yes, please. Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell? Okay, for free, sure. =p
  • aw, I got excited when you posted the Bowie stuff was back. I'd already gotten Aladdin Sane & Hunky Dory & was hoping to go back for Man Who Sold the World. ah well.
    Sounds like you're finding stuff...I've actually gone back to the beginning of this thread and gotten more ideas. Most of the stuff I search for isn't available.
  • Encouraging that they're adding material, but I burned through my credits a while ago so unless they start offering new opportunities to get more, it does me no good.
  • *waves*
    Hi all, still here...
    Really sound like a broken record but there are some major things going on here, I'm finding it best at the moment to wait until things are released and confirmed before even vaguely commenting about it.

Somethings involve content, some things involve advertising and downloads, some things involve mobile, all mean good things, but I'm not going to even try to give an idea of timing or what they are exactly.

All I can say is keep on keeping on with the service, appreciate the dedication :D
  • Hey triple D. No problem, you've given us plenty of great info. I'm just glad to hear that the ship has not been abandoned and you've still got a job. How's the kid?
  • Hey, dddanmar, we were a little worried when we didn't hear from you. No need to come "bearing gifts."
  • Glad to hear from you ddanmar!
  • From the Guvera Facebook page--
    Important update on downloads. There was a time when you could click on ads to receive downloads, however Guvera has reviewed this policy and we are now going to do things a little differently. For our client’s advertising to be effective, users need to engage with their ads for more than just the downloads. After all, Guvera is offering a music streaming service largely funded by our clients who advertise on the service. Moving forward, Guvera are going to make downloads available to users, as it is an important feature that we want to maintain. We don't have an exact date yet, but users will be able to interact with the site to earn downloads. We do appreciate your patience and we will be giving you updates as they happen.
  • And I just got this email--
    Guvera has recently announced an agreement with Omnifone (the world's leading provider of cloud music services). Omnifone will assist Guvera by ingesting content from music labels as well as offering Guvera a range of other services which will improve the overall product.

From July 2nd, 2013 Guvera will begin the transition from its current provider to Omnifone, meaning existing content will need to be removed and then reingested.

Whilst these changes are occurring U.S customers will not have access to the Guvera service. Whilst we regret we are not able to continue to provide the service in this transition period, the new improved service will be live in August and will offer a much better user experience.

Improvements to Guvera will include

- a significantly expanded music offering
    - better search, discover and sharing capabilities
    - easier navigation tools

Thank you for your understanding & we will continue to post updated information on
    guvera.com
  • Argh, I hope this doesn't mean I'll lose all my downloads. I still have a couple hundred or so but haven't had time to go through them. Decided I would tonight but by the time I got to the site the maintenance sign had gone up! Wasn't there earlier in the evening. Guess I'll have to wait until August...
  • edited July 2013
    Same here...oh well, it was difficult to find things I wanted to download. I should have just got a bunch of unknown classical stuff, I think. It will be fun to see what's changed in August!

edit - ddanmar, one thing I've always thought Guvera needs is a favicon so it stands out in browser tabs better.
    (In USA, Macy's is already using a red star, though.) From what I understand it's not much code, LOL.
  • kezkez
    edited July 2013
    I suppose this is all well and good for users who tweet and have a Facebook page, but I don't use either and don't plan to. Since whatever way users will interact more with the advertisers to earn their downloads will surely involve one or both, this is bad news for me.
  • edited July 2013
    kez, fwiw, it's simple and harmless to set up an anonymous Twitter account for just such uses. I think I originally set up mine to enter a contest at Amie Street. (Whereas setting up an FB account is never harmless or anonymous!)

But we'll see...I've always had my doubts about ad-sponsored DLs and wouldn't be surprised if they never come back. If Guvera wants to be a streaming option, seems like they have some catching up to do.
    Argh, I hope this doesn't mean I'll lose all my downloads. I still have a couple hundred or so but haven't had time to go through them.
    I had 3 and am mourning their loss!
  • You don't see reingesting used in many corporate emails!
  • thom -- the kid is still one hell of a brick http://imgur.com/a/neJm4
    Katrina -- I'll bring it up

Yes, when things come back on for US in August as the email mentioned, any credits you have are still valid and will be kept in your account.

Downloads aren't going anywhere, just being fine tuned.

--ddd
  • Very cute, d^3.
  • edited July 2013
    I'll bring it up
    erm - never mind, once I hit refresh I see there is a spanky new Guvera favicon! Nicely done!

edit - darling bald baby! with his 'grumpy' daddy
  • @ddd - Thanks for the info. And holy cow is that one adorable little chubster! My little girl has no interest in beer at this point (turns 5 next week) but is all about getting it for me... so I did something right.
  • @ddd cute photo collage

@thom Sounds like a friend's who drinks a lot of Blue Moon Beer. Her daughter would notice when she forgot to pick up a six pack at the grocery store and has no trouble getting one out of the fridge.
  • At our house we call beer (or alcohol) "daddy juice". It's just one of those things like putting hot sauce on food that nobody but daddy does. Yesterday we were at a gas station and my oldest said "look they have a pack of 12 daddy juices here for $9.99."

Ddanmar - cute. Enjoy it - they get big fast. My first one just finished kindergarten; I just found a picture in some old papers of me and him from his first day home. My second one is four. I just found a sonogram of him in the same papers. It doesn't look like anything.
  • We just had two incidents in which my seven year old (starting second grade on Monday) accidentally tasted one of our smoothies (coffee) and one of our ciders (hard). At least the latter led to a half an hour of insightful complaining rather than tipsiness.
  • BT, you live in a year-round school area? Where is that?
  • Karg: I live in the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees (Cary, NC). About half the elementary schools are year round
  • amc and others - yes they do grow up quickly. My oldest granddaughter was born the day Obama was elected, she has her first trial day in school today before starting properly in September. She's 4 coming along about 8!

All year schooling - I hope we never get it, do keep quiet about that to our Education Secretary!!
  • @greg: year-round works better than you might think: a 3-4 week break comes every nine weeks, it doesn't require as much effort to get him back up to speed for school, and there are better opportunities for off-season travel. Certainly, my son wouldn't be one of the kids who would snap back into shape after a long summer off.
  • Now I understand year round BT - I thought you meant that the school was open virtually 52 weeks a year - I'd support that kind of system, 6 or 7 weeks in the summer in the UK is too long in my view
  • Actually, the schools are open (nearly) year round. The students in each grade (until high school) are divided into 4 tracks. At any given time, three tracks are in session, one is on vacation. The teachers and administrators are also on tracks. In American elementary schools, children have one teacher for their core subjects (in 2nd grade, reading, writing, math, science, social studies); they track out with their students. "E" also has teachers for art, music, computers, PE, and Spanish, whom he sees once per week. These teachers are assigned to tracks as well, and when they are on vacation, that subject is not taught in the school. (The music teacher is on the same track, so E always gets it.) The system is designed to maximize the physical resources of the school system.