Guvera

Comments

• In response to a query on their Facebook page:
    The plan is that we will be up and running in the US by the end of this month.

1146568_472629569500751_1138805901_n.jpg
    "Where All Your Music Now Lives" ???
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaGpmMW8_irmk13KCl4TzX3YKfD21sztrgJoMYRL1lW0kCl9m2

Seriously, I'll be glad to see Guvera back if there are some downloads. The time off has given me chance to identify some threads of interest in what I already downloaded and a few more ideas of what to search for.
  • if there are some downloads

This is what I was wondering, re "Where All Your Music Now Lives". Sounds stream-y. If all goes according to form, my pessimism regarding the future of Guvera will cue a reassuring post from dddanmar.
  • edited August 2013
    Downloads aren't going anywhere, just being fine tuned.
    - from dddanmar upthread. I am hoping he speaks truly. And that "being fine tuned" does not mean I have to buy something from a coffee shop in another state, as started happening with pre-relaunch Guvera.
  • I'll just be happy if I get to use the 2 or 300 downloads still remaining in my account.
  • "Where All Your Music Now Lives" ???
    Sounds like an amicable divorce.
  • Sounds like an amicable divorce.

But who gets to reingest the kids?
  • Hey! August is done, over, finished!
  • From the Guvera FB page:
    "Unfortunately we have had a few delays in getting the new content ingested onto the new US site so we will not make our August deadline. We don't know the new go-live date yet, but once it is confirmed we will update everyone. It will be worth the wait though! The new site will have more music, better navigation and search functionality and it will look much more impressive."
  • The home page changed to say that the site will be up in
  • Laaa di daaaa....
  • I was thinking more along the lines of this, might be a bit too Aussie ;)
  • @dddanmar: planning a big party for the little one's birthday?
  • Psstt...
    And yes BT, he had a lovely party and scoffed himself a little too much on baby-cake, it was brilliant :p
  • edited October 2013
    Site redesign looks good. Search seems about the same; looks like ECM might be gone, alas! No sign of any DLs/credits at the moment--in response to query on FB, "We will give users the opportunity to earn downloads as a reward for the amount of time you spend using the service. Stay tuned for announcements."
  • edited October 2013
    Let's see if this works:

https://www.guvera.com/artists/eebb3275498048a5ae44ed063f29da49

Aha, we can post direct links! Tried to embed album art, no readily apparent way to do that.
  • Sorry, Guvera is currently unavailable in your region
    Stay tuned, we hope to be there soon.
    - As expected.
  • I was able to log in and download a song pretty easily. But the number of downloads is buried on the Settings page, and I can't find any specific info about how to get more. It appears to be more focused on streaming than downloading, and if there is no easy way to get more credits, without streaming, I'll use up the few that I have, say thanks for the hundreds of free songs that I got over the past year or so, and move on.
  • Ah, there it is. I thought I used up all my downloads before the hiatus, and I was right. I'm on the same page -- I'll use it here and there for streaming, but I'm much more interested in obtaining credits for downloads. I'm in "wait and see" mode right now. Site redesign looks good, though.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm happy to have a site to do some test driving.
  • The design is an improvement. A quick check against my work on the old site comparing its holdings to the Penguin Jazz Guide list of essential recordings suggests there's quite a bit of new music to explore that was not there before, though yes, ECM seems to be gone. Glad I loaded up on them in the last wave.
  • edited October 2013
    Aha, I had all of 3 DLs ... No problem using 'em up!

Maybe some Sony stuff that wasn't there before? Also, at least on this Philly Soul comp, I am able to DL tracks that are album-only elsewhere.

I will check out their mobile app when I get a chance. It would be great if it would let you DL to your phone, though probly not.

eta iPhone & iPad app "coming soon"
  • In terms of new stuff that has a small number of tracks per album, I note the addition of a bunch of Tangerine Dream and (in another genre entirely) the Ganelin Trio.
  • I had 23 dloads remaining, so I poked around a bit and downloaded Alfred Schnittke Concerto for Mixed Chorus, which appears to be the first disc of this two disc set on Amazon. The tracks were 320, almost tagged properly (a trailing period after classical, no year) and even had cover art. All four were fast downloads, troubles at all.

Welcome back, Guvera, let me know when you want me to start liking McDonalds in New York again.
  • No problem logging in and just downloaded Lorde's Love Club EP. Cool to have Guv back and glad to hear triple D is still gainfully employed and taking care of his kiddo.

And I may not be eating at McDonald's anymore, but I've got no problem watching their ads in exchange for d/ls!
  • Fuck! They have Tzadik.
  • edited October 2013
    Doofy:

2ad4d5a167c7419ba01295cb1c4aecbc?_accept=image%2Fjpeg&width=178

To do this, I cheated a little -- copied the URL from the address bar, then I went to one of the single tracks and opened the 'Share' option (when you hover over the year).
    From there I was able to copy the *Image* Link URL (in Chrome at least) and use that in the BBCode above.

A BBCode generator would be cool though!
    c7430cbca6be45cc80ec350cf2329750?_accept=image%2Fjpeg&width=300
    edit: forgot a crucial word...
  • Yay! Glad to see it's back up!