Guvera

Comments

• Archery_%28album%29.jpg

Glad to see Tzadik in the mix, even if ECM is gone. Just downloaded John Zorn's Archery, 6 tracks, 2.45 hours of music. According to Thom Jurek at AllMusic, "If you allow it to, it will change the way you listen to music -- and maybe watch TV, too." No cover art or year, but otherwise properly tagged.
  • kezkez
    edited October 2013
    51IVc9ChHjL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Currently streaming this one on Guvera. Unfortunately, I had just gotten around to checking out Guvera right before they took the site down so I never got that comfortable with figuring out how it all worked. I was glad to see they're back up now. I had forgotten my password, but reset was fast, easy and smooth. Now I'm happy to stream but I have no idea how I would be able to download something. Is it intuitively obvious to people, or is that still a work in progress?

UPDATE//Figured out how to add that John Connolly album to my playlist - I want to remember that one. It's excellent.
  • kez - in the previous incarnation of Guvera you could earn download credits by clicking on sponsored tiles. It was like whack-a-mole, except with a mouse and fashionable sunglasses. When you have credits, one of the mouse over options in the listing for the track is download. I don't think it's clear yet how we might earn download credits in the current incarnation, but I'll be hopeful for continued generosity. You know, like back when eMusic had flat rate / all you can eat downloads generosity.
  • Yes, if/when you have credits the download button is fiendishly hidden - roll over the date to the right of the track and then click on the circle with three dots in it, that gives you a popup menu with a download option.
  • edited October 2013
    Having Tzadik available for streaming is a treat. Here's one oddball, quirky autobiographical gem, a longtime favorite:

Shelley Hirsch - O Little Town of East New York
    7104.jpg
  • The Tzadik thing is the first time I've even remotely considered signing up for Guvera.

I still miss having LaLa as a preview device to shop for my Tzadik brick & mortar store purchases.
  • Hmm ... I keep getting a 502 error.
  • Ditto..
  • I'm just posting to note that if I visited the Guvera website right now, I would probably receive a 502 error.
  • Er, won't happen again....
  • @dddanmar, I like how selecting the track goes to the album.
  • edited October 2013
    I'm just posting to note that if I visited the Guvera website right now, I would probably receive a 502 error.

I wouldn't get that, nor would Brighternow, Lowlife and others. We get
    Sorry, Guvera is currently unavailable in your region
    Stay tuned, we hope to be there soon.

But they have been saying that for at least three years!
  • Just a heads up, I did notice some of the long tracks that were missing before are now available - Bob Dylan's Highway 61 and Ornette Coleman's At The Golden Circle are 2 I checked. I was also able to download Mumford & Sons' "The Cave" which was previously only available to stream.
  • Along with ECM, Guvera seems to have lost a number of special editions. Not the worst thing, but the long tracks that were missing from the deluxe re-issues of Bowie's Station to Station and Smashing Pumpkins' Gish and Siamese Dreams aren't likely to appear right now. However I have noticed that other albums that were missing tracks (even random short ones) are now complete. So it seems like the new provider may be more reliable. Of course this is all anecdotal on my part.

Additionally a lot of new material is up. Lorde has already been mentioned. I grabbed Daft Punk's latest this morning. I also see other albums that have been released as recently as last week. Somewhat promising.
  • edited November 2013
    There's lots of new stuff as well as new gaps. Best way to approach it seems to be to assume it's a whole new collection and search again for anything presumed absent. I am noticing that there is still the phenomenon that some albums only have the tracks that are not album-only at other sites (e.g. all three albums that Guvera has by the Esbjörn Svensson Trio are incomplete in this manner). But it's not across the board, there are plenty of long and album-length tracks - Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz, for instance, is there for one download.

It is also well worth trying different searches - I have already run across at least two albums tagged as the wrong artist.

Streaming is working flawlessly for me so far. And I also am finding that it seems to be good at new releases - when BN posted that SMM: Opiate album from Ghostly yesterday, released October 28, I checked Guvera, and it's there.
  • edited November 2013
    Rats. All my credits have gone missing.
    They were there when I logged in last week.
    Also, I keep having to reset my password.
  • Also a bunch of tracks I have had in my playlists are now "not available for streaming" although they used to be.
  • Dddanmar told me those labels are temporarily taken down because of a licensing clarification and should be back up at an undisclosed date.
  • edited December 2013
    G. is proving useful and fun for (ad-free) streaming of Christmas music. Parking a few links here; there are other things, especially on the Classical side, that are unavailable for streaming.
    5dc84c86b4d940c5bfceac13c7c9d5d9?_accept=image%2Fjpeg&width=178
    36637fab538549438eb5a29ec8423f1d?_accept=image%2Fjpeg&width=178
    c1e89e6cea6c42c6bcaa53d21fa11a9b?_accept=image%2Fjpeg&width=178
  • edited April 2014
    Guvera has a new social feature. Still no sign of ads or downloads, and still lots of missing labels/albums (though these have now been greyed in playlists and the tracks removed from the visible library, so it is easier to tell. Not sure if the fact that these have been absent more than 6 months means they are not coming back.) There is an ipad app now for streaming. Getting hard to imagine downloads are still going to be a thing.

No word from dddanmar for quite a while.
  • Yeah, I saw this thread pop back up and was hoping for some good news re the return of downloads. Haven't been to Guvera in many months, and I see no reason to go back without that. If it's just streaming, there are better options. Too bad.
  • I got that email, too. Interesting project, but other than an community angle, it doesn't seem that unique.
  • edited December 2014
    INTRODUCING GUVERA PLAY

You asked, we listened! You wanted more playlists and radio-like streaming, and we have delivered with Guvera PLAY, available now on MOBILE!

You can now gain access to millions of tracks, hand curated playlists and hours of music from your favorite local and international artists - at no cost to you!

At least seems like a viable alternative to free Spotify; not sure about ads yet

Eta, "intermittent ads"
  • It's ba aa ckkk, now as an app or something. 

Introducing Guvera 3.0

It's been a while since we've seen you on Guvera...

While you were gone, we were busy reinventing ourselves as your go-to online music streaming destination - for expert-curated playlists, ultimate stations, fun articles, original videos and more.

Are you ready to come back and experience the next revolution in music and entertainment?

The future of music and entertainment has arrived

Dive into our new music channels to discover the hottest playlists, videos, interviews, music reviews, star photo galleries and competitions. With channels dedicated to pop, R&B, hip-hop, rock, latin, country and more, you're just seconds away from the music that moves you. 

PS - To enjoy these new features you’ll need the latest version of the app.  Click here to update on Android now.  Click here to update on iOS now.

Tasty pop treats

Help yourself to playlists featuring idols, divas, boy bands and more.

Turn it up

Plug into the Rock Channel for indie, metal, and everything in between.

Get schooled

Sample RnB and hip-hop chart music or tune into East and West Coast rap playlists, funk, soul and more.

Almost heaven

Bliss out to country charts, classics, and bluegrass, or start a station based on stars like Cam, Merle, Dolly and Willie.

• A week or so after you posted that, I got an email that stated Guvera USA had to shut down for license refresh, or somesuch.
  • Guvera seemed promising once. But my interest in sites that just offer playlists and "stations" is somewhere between zero and none.
  • Katrina said:
    A week or so after you posted that, I got an email that stated Guvera USA had to shut down for license refresh, or somesuch.
    D'oh. It's not quite dead yet. I'm with you, GP. I don't have any need for Guvera. I appreciated when I could download some free tracks.