7 Digital Sale

Comments

• edited May 2012
    About 42 hours now of a blank yellow Music Locker page and they have yet to reply - not very good CS. Last time I had an issue they also took two days to reply.
  • Both Beach House and Best Coast on sale this week...along with Iggy Pop and Lisa Marie! (sorry, separate albums by those last 2...)
  • I found this looking up Lowlife's current listening:
    0001487864_350.jpg

9 hours for 9 dollars.
  • Cool, that Beach House album is promising. Right now too if you want a physical copy you can get it from Amazon for $7.99
  • @Bad Thoughts, once again thanks for a great recommendation. I don't seem to have any of these titles. With downloads available like this I don't miss eMusic at all..
  • 0000637226_350.jpg

20 hours of Bach for $33. A huge deal? The physical set can be had for $69.
  • edited May 2012
    Well, their CS team did get back to me on the 4th day to let me know my account was in cyber-purgatory and they were working on releasing it - took until today but they sent some sugar along with the news - have to figure what to get with it. I give them props for saying my case pointed to an underlying flaw in their system they were previously unaware of and investigating further - at least they called it a flaw, not an "issue" as with some other folks who have worn all respectability off that word.

Edit - so they spotted me 3 albums which I thought was very sporting of them. The unspoken part was that it apparently was limited to single disc releases, alas, because you know I had to test the boundaries, so when I added The Metallica Collection, The Complete Hank Williams, and The Oscar Peterson Trio Complete Mercury/Clef Recordings to the cart it didn't fly. Oh, well.
  • edited May 2012
    A minor triumph but an album I'm excited about - $9.99 at 7dig for the 3 disc DGQ 20 - A Twenty Year Retrospective 1976-1996 by the David Grisman Quintet - includes 18 previously unreleased amongst the 39 tracks, had it on the eMu thread and SFL but it's $17 something there. I'm stoked because I've got so many of those early years albums on cassettes, and have not replaced that many of them digitally.
    For anybody who does not have David Grisman represented in their collection do yourself a favor and get this - the originator of Dawggrass music, he was a major force in making instrumental bluegrass/newgrass/hybrid bluegrass-jazz fusion a lasting category, he had ass-kicking musicians in his bands, and the stuff is one joyful noise to listen to.

7digital also has for $9.99 David Grisman Quartet - Live At Jazz Alley, a 2 disc live release I have not been able to find elsewhere except the Acoustic Disc website. Here's their info on the album -
    In November, 2008 the DGQ played a five night stint at Seattle's premiere jazz night club, Jazz Alley. The band includes David and long-time band-mates Jim Kerwin (bass), Matt Eakle (flute and bass flute) and George Marsh (drums). Rounding out the ensemble on acoustic guitar was the swing-jazz master Frank Vignola. Grant Gordy, who has alternated with Frank in the guitar chair was in the audience Saturday night and sat in on "Pneumonia."

The sets were recorded by DGQ soundman Paul Knight and later mixed in Dawg Studios by Dave Dennison and Dawg. Two shows are included in this collection of vibrant "jazz" performances in an intimate setting.

Wikipedia has BTW some nice timelines on the personnel of the various dawg musicians for anyone interested.
    Edit - as long as I'm going dawg-gone crazy here I might as well add David Grisman Quintet - Live At The GAMH 1979 is $9.99 here, cheaper than eMu - 2 disc, 27 tracks - Tony Rice.
  • Some time ago, someone rec'ed Great Piano Trios. It was $9.99 for a huge collection, so I bought it. Unfortunately, there were many bad tracks, digital noise, crackles and the like. I complained to 7Dig, they allowed me to "exchange" it for another album of the same price. I am not sure that I h ave ever had an exchange on digital products before, but in the end, I keep the Great Piano set, albeit flawed, and get Sarah Vaughn's fifty favorites as well.
  • New Neil Young + Crazy Horse, "Americana" is among this week's $5 albums.
  • So is the new Japandroids, which is is getting crazy good reviews.

Craig
  • Here's a metalfest album I found on eMu (a little pricey there) but for $8.99 at 7dig Armageddon Over Wacken - Live 2004 might be worth investigating. My lamentable laptop here at work is too fossilized to play samples from either site. Here's the eMu link that shows who's playing what. 46 tracks, 3+ hours.
  • Anthology of Czech Music Vol. I and Vol. II (over 7 hours each) together collect twelve albums in Radoslav Kvapil's efforts to document Czech Romantic and early 20th century piano music. All the volumes have received excellent reviews.
  • The Neil Young album comes with wave files bundled in the zip file which is pretty cool for $5. I thought it was taking a while to download...
  • 0001712123_350.jpg
    Four disc retrospective of Alfred Deller's time at Harmonia Mundi. $9.99
  • 0000115969_350.jpg
    3-disc retrospective of Yo La Tengo ... $9.99
  • 0000677218_350.jpg

Nereffid recommended this one at MIG -- just $2.49!
  • edited June 2012
    Hey, BT, did you happen to notice that the 7 releases by that group that are classified as Singles/EPs, including the above, all seem to be $2.49 (I only clicked on 4 before tiring), despite the fact that they are not in fact Singles. Oops.
    I wonder if this exists elsewhere. Here's a similar $2.49 from another artist on the pneuma label (discovered via Amazon Advanced Search of course).
  • Yes, I bookmarked them all before picking up the boy. I wanted to at least mention one that had an emusers backing. Theres a Cantigas album I want more though.
  • Just an FYI on the YLT, Matador sells directly for rather good prices and you can get that set directly from them in mp3 for $8 or FLAC for $10.
  • edited July 2012
    0001635660_350.jpg
    Some discs in the series get good reviews, some more tepid. $9.99 for 12 hours.
  • @BT: Whoa, that is tempting. I love his 5th symphony, but 10 is a favorite too.
  • edited July 2012
    From new releases at eMu, for $11.98, How 'bout That, 2 disc 52 track anthology of Louis Jordan and his Tympany Five - but it is $6.99 at 7digital if you want it. I don't know that this is that great a selection of his best - the second disc is a little weak, but outside of hitting the JSP box (done that), it's not a bad selection.

One finds the damnedest things hunting around sometimes, and I intend to check this one out when I get home (and can actually play the samples) - Clarence Gatemouth Brown - Sings Louis Jordan over at eMu. A combination of 2 of my favorite things - might be good. A 1973 album from Disques Black & Blue (thank you Amazon).

When did AllMusic get a snazzy new makeover? Hope it works all right.
  • Finally cracked and went for the Duke Box ... Was going through Duke stuff yesterday and realized I had the Cotton Club era and a good sampling of the 50s-60s stuff, but little from later 30s-40s. Well, I do now! Or at least I will if the slow 7dig download ever completes...3 hrs on the clock so far

Anyone have specific dates on this set? I'm guessing I'll be able to put it together from the other Storyville releases.
  • For £7.99 that is very tempting Doofy, one pound per CD. I'll wait until I am about to do somethinhg else for a couple of hours before starting if it takes that long!
  • Love that Duke Box! Here's a complete recording list - you can compare trac names to figure out where you are; it's mostly complete recordings from concerts and radio broadcasts, so skip any label dates; and sometimes the box song titles are different from the list, so it can be a little confusing. I retagged mine so it was a separate "disk" for each recording.
  • Ask and ye shall receive, or so I've heard. Thanks ac, I like to have my dates straight. Looking forward to all 9 (!) hours....

Final DL time was 3.5 hours...with a handful of missing tracks, which I was able to go back and get. On the (even more massive) Masses box, I had to manually DL about half the tracks.
  • Complete recording data on the Duke Box here, btw: http://www.depanorama.net/dems/071c.htm I learn that discs 2 and 3 comprise a legendary 1940 concert in Fargo, ND, which was fortuitously preserved by a pair of teenaged fans with a portable recorder.
  • Black Friday / New Release sale at 7Digital includes Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day and Elvis Costello - In Motion Pictures. The LZ is just short of two hours live from the O2 show.
  • Usually 7 digital has similar prices in the UK, but the Led Zepp is £10.49, around $13; a shame I'd have downloaded it at US prices.