7 Digital Sale

Comments

• the likelihood of both ...home and office burning down the same day is statistically low.

That depends on how fed up you get with both. You might go postal, you know.
  • 0000609136_350.jpg

Another collection of field recordings from the same label as above. These performances seem more like street music and popular music. They likely took place in studios, but mostly seem direct to tape. Think of those David Byrne comps, but rawer and more energetic. 3 1/2 hours for $8.99.
  • @Bad Thoughts - Cantadeiras do Souza Parte 1/2, youTube search on one of the artists on the compilation. Google translate says "Documentary about female musicians Souza's Jequitib
  • edited August 2011
    You might go postal, you know.

If so, it would likely be with my music hard drive tucked safely under one arm :-).
  • edited September 2011
    I don't know that I have any more interest in the new Lenny Kravitz album than any of the old, but it's at 7dig for $5. I am compelled to point this out, as I saw it at eMu for $9 something I think....Really??....even Amazon's cheaper at $8.99. I'm on a mission from G....well, I don't need to overdramatise.

A stone gas or breaking wind? Yet to be determined - 100 Funk Essentials. Edit - after listening to samples I'm detecting a bad smell - re-recordings? Some just don't sound like the record in my head.
  • edited September 2011
    I'm sure this has been covered before but just in case the Tratore label that BT's finds above are from has a free sampler - Tratore Basics - 30 Women From Brazil.
    BT, did you happen to see what they're charging for that first 7 disc set at Amazon?
  • Just another album I wondered if it was cheaper at 7dig - it is. Mozart 250 Years - 1956 - Great Conductors In The Bicentenary Year, $8.99. eMu has the more complete listing of who's playing what.
  • I wrote to 7digital the other day to lament the woeful condition of their search engine - albums and bands that they have simply fail to show in the results on a regular basis. They wrote back saying that a major overhaul is coming soon and let me into the beta preview. Apart from a major change of appearance and interface, the search engine now seems to work properly. So good things to come apparently.
  • Glad to hear that - I've had to plow through pages of chaff to run down some of these Various Artists titles when I can't find them in the Appears On section of one of the given artists, and the behavior of the search engine has been erratic to say the least. I was becoming paranoid that they were out to keep me from my appointed rounds.
  • I figured you should be informed as our 7Digital rep.
  • edited September 2011
    Someone posted this over on the eMu MB - Noah Greenberg Conducting the New York Pro Music Antiqua/Anthology of Their Greatest Works - 4+ hours, 7 disc worth, $8.99. Unfamiliar to me. Any fans?
  • I've known about the Greenberg deal for a while, but I haven't been able to come up with anything about it. It seems like and anomally.
  • edited September 2011
    Nice finds, BT. The Scarlatti is a definite, and I had that Hawkwind on a SFL at eMu and I'm betting it wasn't the equivalent of $17.97 at the time I put it there - don't remember how many credits/downloads but it wasn't 36 I don't think. Anyhow, if I'm going to catch that train this is probably as good as it gets.
    Edit - Like the Scarlatti, a lot, and looking over the series I have to say, that's a lot of sonatas. Much as I like the harpsichord I don't know if I'll ever be that dedicated.
  • Have we been here before? On harmonia mundi - Telemann - Complete Tafelmusik by Freiburger Barockorchester.
  • Edit - Like the Scarlatti, a lot, and looking over the series I have to say, that's a lot of sonatas. Much as I like the harpsichord I don't know if I'll ever be that dedicated.
    Yep, many of these collections--especially in Early Music--have the potential to be very same-y. When I have some spare cash, I will bite on the Scarlatti. One volume should be more than entertaining.

I think someone has mentioned the Telemann. That's supposed to be a great set. There a re a few others from Harmonia Mundi I hope will appear at 7dig soon: Planes' Complete Debussy and Chiu's Complete Prokofiev.
  • 0001366457_350.jpg

the new Tinariwen for $5.
  • 0000949812_350.jpg

Utah Phillips' Starlight on the Rails: 61 songs plus narrations, $9.99
  • edited November 2011
    It's never too early.......100 Christmas. Them tree shows'll be on QVC soon. I like them purty lights.
    This 'uns got lots'er stringy instruments and horns...100 Christmas Classics.
    Another 100 Christmas Classics - cheaper to the other place.
    Another cheaper at eMu - 100 Essential Christmas Songs - who are these people?
  • This cheesy looking selection might actually be OK - I am very suspicious of anything Goldenlane but when the artists have been dead/retired too long to have been able to re-record the songs it might bear attention - 100 Classic 1940's Memories. The Amazon page has the artist listings which are not shabby.
  • edited September 2011
    Der Ring des Nibelungen, $6.99. by Hans Swarosky and an orchestra that seems to have been all the members of the Czech Philharmonic who fled the Soviet invasion of 1968 from what I read in one review. $58 at eMu.

Here's the Furtwangler Ring, from La Scala, Birgit Nilsson, $8.99. Amazon $47, eMu $83 (hah!).
    On a smaller scale - Das Rheingold - Krauss/Bayreuth version, $3.96.
    Just for completeness here's another Ring I found on Amazon - Keilburth/Bayreuth 1952 - $11.98.
    Another from same label 1953 Krauss/Bayreuth Ring, $11.98, which may be the mothership for the Krauss Das Rheingold above. It is the same cast/performance as this $45 Ring from another label at Amazon which has reviews.

And might I just point out as well The Legendary Performances of Renata Tebaldi, 14 discs, 13 hours, and way more than $8.99 elsewhere. Also The Legendary Performances of Franco Corelli, ditto, ditto. EDIT-Just to clarify these two releases, each consists of 7 complete operas, with the 2 principals in some good company, mostly Milan RAI or La Scala, Vienna Philharmonic, Royal Opera. Live recordings so the typical applause/crowd noise, not sterling audio quality by modern standards but OK. Both feature Tosca but by different companies. Very nice samplers overall which include some less common operas that fill in the digital collection at a ridiculously low price.

8 disc set of Great Performances - Luciano Pavarotti, $8.99. Same company. This includes 4 complete operas. Some mislabeling at the top does not make it clear but that includes the complete Schippers/RAI Pavarotti/Freni La Boheme - a live counterpart to the famous studio Von Karajen version which is my favorite opera and opera recording of all time. It sounds great (with usual live recording caveats). This is a terrific deal.

Of possible interest, not a bargain but good price on this - Don Giovanni by Freiburger Barockorchester.
  • Now that's what I call comparison shopping!
  • That Swarovsky Ring is $7.99 on Amazon - it might be worth the buck to avoid trying to get a 1.5 gig zip from 7dig.
  • edited September 2011
    Would agree the Amazon downloader is probably the fastest most reliable overall. I have been using the 7digital downloader with OK results - though not the swiftest with any of these 320kbps megaselections. You know start it up, come back later. Edit - If I had it to do over, I'd go for the extra dollar - I think it was T-Bone who said "My time is expensive".
  • "Ponte Duro" update - BDB, it turns out that these songs are available as individual DLs on the Fania website: https://www.fania.com/content/ponte-duro-fania-all-stars-story.

Furthermore, after creating my account, I found they had given me just enough "store credit" to pay for the 2 songs I put in my cart. No idea where that credit came from...perhaps a little bonus for new customers? Anyway, happy ending for sure.
  • edited September 2011
    Have updated the Ring entry above with a couple of new entries for anyone with excessive time on their hands. I really am going to have to enter the 21st century and get my living room (real) stereo hooked up to stream from the computer to hear some of these classical monsterpieces I've downloaded lately.

Glad to hear you're all kool and the gang with the Fania situation, doofy. I can't even tell you off the top of my head where I've amassed it from (as cheaply as possible of course from the various sources) but they've got their own Smart Playlist now in my iTunes, which in my collection means you've arrived. I liked their site but didn't really look at buying there, will have to re-scope.
  • Have updated the opera entry above having not downloaded the Pavarotti until today and realized what it was.