What Are You Listening to (23) Skidoo?

Comments

• Denis Kolokol

Ily     nyop                                                           Proud To Be Loud
  • Dennis Bovell And The Dub Band

Brain Damage                                                      Audio Active

Strictly Dub Wize                                                  Decibel (More Cuts And Dubs 1976 - 1983)

Mek It Run

• Some rainy day music for a rainy day in Lexington, KY.

• djhdjh
    edited March 2023
    Cover art for Syds Pink Wiring System by The Clean  Primary

The BQ album = My Government Is My Soul

Two examples of groups that I knew about for years but never paid sufficient attention to. Still better late than never. Nice play on words with the BQ album.

• Desmond Dekker

Black And Dekker                                                 Compass Point

King Of Ska                                                          Desmond Dekker & The Aces - Intensified
  • Snow has decended on Orkney overnight even though the clocks just changed to BST and we had the first summer tour ship docked in Kirkwall yesterday. Sparing a thought for those hit by the tornado in Mississippi.

Primary

Muslimgauze - A Putrid Oasis (music only wish I had the biography)
    Museleon - Vox

Cover art for Two Clouds by Mumbles

Mumbles - Two Clouds
    Moskus with Nils Økland- Ulv Ulv

• Django Reinhardt

Django Reinhardt
    This is the only album I'm familiar with as my best friend (also a music nut) had a copy. He left this
    world way too early but is certainly not forgotten. Thanks again Doug!
    Now, after a search through archive.com, more than I could have imagined. It took a few days to edit
    but it was well worth it. 6 volumes of this 20? volume set. At 12hrs 23 mins I'm sure it'll take a few days
    to listen to. Now, off to the time machine to visit 1928.

Presentation Stomp                                              I Saw Stars

Djangology                                                           Magic Strings

Mystery Pacific                                                     Swinging With Django
  • confused said:
    Django Reinhardt

Django Reinhardt
    This is the only album I'm familiar with as my best friend (also a music nut) had a copy. He left this
    world way too early but is certainly not forgotten. Thanks again Doug!
    Now, after a search through archive.com, more than I could have imagined. It took a few days to edit
    but it was well worth it. 6 volumes of this 20? volume set. At 12hrs 23 mins I'm sure it'll take a few days
    to listen to. Now, off to the time machine to visit 1928.

Presentation Stomp                                              I Saw Stars

Djangology                                                           Magic Strings

Mystery Pacific                                                     Swinging With Django

Thanks @confused and thanks to your friend Doug. Always bittersweet to remember old friends.
  • djh said:
    Thanks @confused and thanks to your friend Doug. Always bittersweet to remember old friends.
    Your most welcome, visiting 1935/36 this morning. There's lots of artists in my library that bring back memories of old friends and family, from here and my past.
  • Thanks @confused , a slightly modified archive.org search finds another four volumes. So volumes 1 to 10 are available via archive.org . I wonder if the other half of the collection are hiding there are well.

• edited March 2023
    PaulR said:
    Thanks @confused , a slightly modified archive.org search finds another four volumes. So volumes 1 to 10 are available via archive.org . I wonder if the other half of the collection are hiding there are well.

You're most welcome! Just started listening to Vol 5 and it's been a real treat so far.

Plus, Thanks to our good friend Rod, my mailbox was bulging this morning with the complete set!
    I'll bet, if you're interested, he'd be happy to help you as well.
  • PaulR said:
    Thanks @confused , a slightly modified archive.org search finds another four volumes. So volumes 1 to 10 are available via archive.org . I wonder if the other half of the collection are hiding there are well.

Hey @PaulR thanks for the heads up on the case right now!
  • I may be getting er confused but vol 7 when downloaded is tagged as vol 6 but IS vol 7.
  • edited March 2023
    djh said:
    I may be getting er confused but vol 7 when downloaded is tagged as vol 6 but IS vol 7.
    Well, as I mentioned, I found on my Wall or mailbox this morning that Rod had sent me links to the complete set including art work and booklets. No editing to be done and 320 compared to 128. Even these beat up old ears can hear the difference as much as I hate to admit it. As soon as I figure out how to find the booklets I'll try to figure out how to forward those links. I've been here since 2008 and I don't remember how to go about that. I'm sure Rod wouldn't mind helping you out in the meantime. He always comes to the rescue. Thanks once again to @rostasi and @PaulR for his help.
  • edited March 2023
    Just PM PaulR with the links. The booklets are in each folder.
    FLACs are possible too, but they are huge.
  • rostasi said:
    Just PM PaulR with the links. The booklets are in each folder.
    FLACs are possible too, but they are huge.
    I think I got it right. I've sent a message to @PaulR and @djh with the links. Now I'll have to brush up on my French get through the booklets. Thanks again!
  • "Before a Word Is Said" a 1982 Canterbury Scene album by Alan Gowen, Phil Miller, Richard Sinclair & Trevor Tomkins.

The sad story is that Alan Gowen, keyboarder and composer with Gilgamesh and National Health, was diagnosed with leukaemia and assembled this group specially to record this album. He passed away just a few weeks later.

manual of errors SONOTA  Alan Gowen  Phil Miller  Richard Sinclair  Trevor  Tomkins  Before a Word Is Said
  • Came across this relatively unknown 2013 album on bandcamp, "Unrecorded Beam" by Billy Bottle & The Multiple, totally by chance. It is a combination of Contemporary Jazz, Progressive Rock and Canterbury Scene with a hint of the 1970s.

Really liked all the tracks and the quirky album cover as well!

Unrecorded Beam  Billie Bottle  The Multiple  Billie Bottle

Unrecorded Beam  Billie Bottle  The Multiple  Billie Bottle
  • Well, working my way through Vol 10 this morning. I also found the English pages as I opened up all the booklets for each volume. Thanks again!  :)

• Well, working my way through Vol 10 this morning. I also found the English pages as I opened up all the booklets for each volume. Thanks again!  :)

Just completed the d/l and looking forward to a listen this afternoon, thanks everybody esp the man of the hour @rostasi!
  • Also completed the d/l earlier, just back in from the garden and making a start on in. Many thanks to @rostasi

• edited March 2023
    "The Troubled Sleep Of Piano Magic" a 2003 album by Post Rock band Piano Magic.

Start with Track 2 "The Unwritten Law" (YouTube link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L52UGsCmu0

Piano Magic - The Troubled Sleep Of Piano Magic  Releases  Discogs

• edited April 2023
    Well, I'm just about to hear the final volume and I'll repeat what a treat it's been spending the week with Django and learning so much more than I ever knew about him. The liner notes were fantastic and it reminded me of all the great times I've spent holding an album and reading along with the notes and looking at pictures. So I'm off to do just that and listen to his final chapter with a look back. 
    Thanks again!!

Pour Que Ma Vie Demeure

PS- Not being that computer savvy I'm not sure how long Rod's links are good for but if anyone else here would like a copy, send me a PM and I'll send you along a copy. 
  • edited April 2023
    Surprisingly good new album with Rod Argent & Colin Blunstone:

• edited April 2023
    @rostasi who would have thought!? Having never gone much past "Odyssey and Oracle", I didn't even realise that Rod and Colin had done new recordings. There are some pretty good tracks on "Different Game".

As for Fat Mattress, my favourite track of theirs is "Mr. Moonshine".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X5Eedp8J-4

Fat Mattress  Fat Mattress 2021 Vinyl - Discogs

•       
    Dollar Brand                                                           The Jazz Epistles
    African Space Program                                           The Complete Recordings

Sotho Blue
  • Don Caballero

For Respect                                                          Don Caballero 2

What Burns Never Returns                                    American Don

Gang Banged With A Headache And Live               World Class Listening Problem 
This discussion has been closed.