What Are You Listening to (23) Skidoo?

Comments

• Thanks to @Bad Thoughts for the introduction. I've really enjoyed everything I've heard so far!!
    Hamilton De Holanda

Brasilianos                                                            Brasilianos 2

Brasilianos 3                                                         Live!
  • Can't resist that regular visit to my Quicksilver Messenger Service albums. 

Today it is their first and probably their best, the first s/t album from 1968.

Product Image 1

•      
    Trio                                                                      O Baile Do Almeidinha

Harmonize                                                           Jacob Bossa
  • New prog release, triple album, ecological theme, very long list of guest musicians includes Steve Hackett, Ryo Okumoto, and Ben Craven. Truack's lyrics at times tend to be quite literal and preachy (not that the cause is not good), but on first listen through I am enjoying the music.
  • Hanne Hukkelberg

Little Things                                                         Rykestraße 68

Blood From A Stone                                              Featherbrain

Trust                                                                    Birthmark
  • A morning of remastered reissues:
    The Sum Of No Evil 2023
    I think this is one of their better albums. (MP3 is only $4.99 at Amazon)
    Very drifty. (€1)
  • Hans Arp

Arp / Schwitters / Hausmann - Dada > Antidada > Merz

Harold Budd

The Pavilion Of Dreams                                        The Serpent (In Quicksilver)

Harold Budd / Brian Eno With Daniel Lanois          Abandoned Cities
      - The Pearl

Harold BuddBill Nelson & Fila Brazillia                Avalon Sutra
      - Three White Roses & A Budd
  • edited September 2023

Nicolas Bernier - Ail et L'eau Faille
    The title of this one always makes me smile. (I was also a fan of this book.) It was Bernier's first solo album. Still sounds good. Free at the archive.
  • John Zorn - Nothing Is As Real As Nothing - Amazoncom MusicJohn Zorn, on of several new releases this month. Guitar trio, Bill Frisell, Julian Lage, Gyan Riley. Quiet and meditative, highly recommended.

• Cahn Ingold Prelog (Simon Proffitt) used AI to reinterpret the first 30 releases in the Waxing Crescent discography, purely using the album titles as prompts. At times, spectrograms were converted into audio, some tracks are raw, some are pure MIDI (based entirely on the AI output) and some are a mixture of both. There are no extraneous notes/rhythms, just what I was 'supplied with', albeit polished up a bit. In some cases the raw audio was good enough to stand alone. In some cases though the raw audio is boring, or annoying, so the next step involved converting it into MIDI info and then wiring the MIDI up to some virtual instruments.

Crescence process:

“Text-to-image diffusion models are trained to understand key visual concepts with billions of tagged images. It's a similar (but much more rapid) process to how we learn visual concepts. We know what cats are, because we've seen lots of different cats and understand their common features. And if we want to draw a cat, we use our generic knowledge to create a recognisable picture of a cat, but one that is (very likely to be) slightly different from any other cat picture that we've ever seen.

If the diffusion model is trained specifically on spectrograms, however, rather than pictures of cats, fruit, people etc, then the machine comes to learn that certain keywords have certain spectrographic similarities. It knows what a generic smooth jazz piece 'looks like' in the same way that it knows what a generic dog looks like. You can then prompt the machine to produce new spectrograms in any style you can think of. It has absolutely no concept of sound, only what sound 'looks like'. The interesting part, for me, is that it's unlikely that 'MondoProtozoa', for instance, is a concept that exists in the training data, so it uses its best guess as to what it is I'm asking for based on things that it does know. Some of these best guesses are pretty wild. It hasn't heard any of the music on any these releases, so any similarities are either coincidence or due to accurate titling on behalf of the original artist.

You then have to convert the spectrograms into audio, which I have a script for. In some cases the raw audio is good enough to stand alone - MondoProtozoa is pretty much just the raw output with a bit of reverb on. In some cases though the raw audio is boring, or annoying, so the next step involves converting it into MIDI info and then wiring the MIDI up to some virtual instruments. So some of these tracks are raw, some are pure MIDI (based entirely on the AI output) and some are a mixture of both. I haven't added anything else, so there are no extraneous notes / rhythms, just what I was 'supplied with', albeit polished up a bit.” - Simon Proffitt 

• Tender Membranes
    by Marja Ahti

Black Truffle is pleased to announce Tender Membranes, the label’s first release from Swedish-Finnish sound artist and electro-acoustic composer Marja Ahti. Active for a decade in the Finnish underground music scene, in recent years Ahti has developed a distinctive approach to patiently unfolding electro-acoustic constructions, documented on a string of solo releases and collaborative projects with Judith Hamann and her husband Niko-Matti Ahti. Working with concrete and instrumental sounds, field recordings, and electronics, Ahti favours neither disjunctive collage nor monolithic consistency; rather, her work is composed of organically unfolding sequences of details and textures, which, as she says, ‘can stretch out or cut fast as long as they have a sense of inner stillness’, a sense that she connects to moments of heightened attention in everyday life.

• Matthew Hasall An Ever Changing View

Sorry for not posting for a while but travel and family issues came first. Lots of music has been sourced and will be put up.

• Kinda strange to hear them do 8 minute versions of "Bags' Groove" and "All Blues"
    ...but then again, people are strange...

• Plong42 said:
    John Zorn - Nothing Is As Real As Nothing - Amazoncom MusicJohn Zorn, on of several new releases this month. Guitar trio, Bill Frisell, Julian Lage, Gyan Riley. Quiet and meditative, highly recommended.

Thanks @Pl@Plong42 for the heads up - enjoying this.
  • John Zorn
    Homenaje A Remedios Varo

• edited September 2023
    Nove Cantici Per Francesco D39Assisi

There was a brief time round about the Nova Express/Painted Bird stuff when I momentarily sustained the illusion that I was kind of keeping up with at least the bits of Zorn that I liked best. I've missed a lot of stuff since. Seems like I am going to have to spend some good time with the Frisell/Lage/Riley stuff. I already think I might want to get this one on CD.
  • Thanks to @rostasi for the introduction. As last full listen was Sept/2019, I'm looking forward 
    hearing his collection once more.  A most enjoyable and interesting listen!!
    Harry Bertoia

Complete Sonambient Collection
     also available at - https://www.ubu.com/sound/bertoia.html

Harry Bertoia / Oreste Bertoia  -  Clear Sounds / Perfetta 
  • Lydia Loveless
  • Carole King

An all time favourite of mine from the early 70s
  • edited September 2023
    "In Rainbows" stunning 2007 album by Radiohead

RADIOHEAD - In Rainbows  Amazoncomau  Music
  • edited September 2023
    And their outstanding second album from 1995, "Bends".

AMG says "what makes The Bends so remarkable is that it marries such ambitious, and often challenging, instrumental soundscapes to songs that are at their cores hauntingly melodic and accessible. It makes the record compelling upon first listen, but it reveals new details with each listen, and soon it becomes apparent that with The Bends, Radiohead have reinvented anthemic rock"

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-bends-

• John Zorn - Filmworks IX - Amazoncom Music

More =for the John Zorn party: I have been listening through his various Filmworks releases. This one is a favorite.
  • Plong42 said:
    John Zorn - Filmworks IX - Amazoncom Music

More =for the John Zorn party: I have been listening through his various Filmworks releases. This one is a favorite.

I'll second that! Currently trying to decide if this is a good time to start buying FLAC files from Boomkat seeing as I'm not going to go back to streaming just because of the massive Tzadik album dump.
  • edited October 2023
    Thanks to @confused for reminding us of Harry Nilsson and his great music

Funnily enough, bearing in mind the title of this discussion stream, Harry did a not particularly memorable album in 1968 called “Skidoo”! The music and lyrics were done for an equally unmemorable film of the same name (rated 4.7 by IMBd) with a main claim to fame for being Groucho Marx’s last film.

• edited October 2023
    "Wires - Dream - Wires" the 2015 Post Metal/Post Rock album by Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster.

They remind me of Explosions In The Sky

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2242
    Wires  Dream  Wires by Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster Album Post-Metal  Reviews Ratings Credits Song list - Rate Your Music
  • The Mouth of the Stars - Sleep Stations

Lost Tribe are having a $1 sale on all their pre 2023 albums till Oct 8, some great music to be heard.
  • Having a fairly mellow Sunday so far.

Cover art for Live in Berlin by David Murray Black Saint Quartet

• Pat Metheny Group s/t album from 1978

AMG says "The first recording by the Pat Metheny Group features the innovative guitarist along with keyboardist Lyle Mays, bassist Mark Egan, and drummer Dan Gottlieb. The music is quite distinctive, floating rather than swinging, electric but not rockish, and full of folkish melodies.....this music grows in interest with each listen"

Pat Metheny Group
This discussion has been closed.