Favourite Rock Albums from the late 60s and early 70s

Comments

• I'd forgotten the Groundhogs, I saw them when I was a student so sometime between late 1969 to mid 1972. Excellent lead blues guitarist if I remember correctly
  • Actually, the Groundhogs discography was one of the last good things I got off eMusic.  They were pretty much new to me at the time.   Some great stuff there.

• Extreme influence of not only Soft Machine itself, but
    "Slightly All the Time" in particular from this Italian prog band:

• ... and of course, there's the Gong-like influence on this post-Celeste band:

• Gryphon “Red Queen to Gryphon Three“

ProgArchives rates the album No. 14 in 1974 and says “With a seamless fusion of British folk and medieval rock, Gryphon developed a strong sound all their own”.

We had the black border in Canada. Still an old favourite along with Midnight Mushrumps.
    Gryphon

Gryphon                                                               Red Queen To Gryphon Three

Midnight Mushrumps                                           Raindance
  • If only I was going to be in England on November 28th with Gryphon performing live at Cambridge Junction in Cambridge!
  • Well worth trying Gryphon’s two recent albums issued in 2018 and 2020 after a more than 40 year break, featuring three of the original band members! 

I particularly like “Reinvention” and “Get Out Of My Father’s Car” has its moments too.

• edited September 2023
    Greetings From Asbury Park NJ 2014The Wild The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle 2014Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen

I don't actually think of these as 60s/70s albums. Born to Run is one of my top five recordings of all time
  • One of the Swiss contributions to the so-called Krautrock scene. A Conny Plank production on the Pilz label. Not forgetting the classic cover. Slightly psych blues rock with flute, so yes akin to some early Tull.

• @djh a great album and I particularly like the track “Dream of a Drummer”

Another group along similar lines, German this time, and with an eerily familiar choice of cover is the 1973 album “From Books And Dreams” by Message

• @djh a great album and I particularly like the track “Dream of a Drummer”

Another group along similar lines, German this time, and with an eerily familiar choice of cover is the 1973 album “From Books And Dreams” by Message

Yep this is the more famous of the two and probably my favourite; but there is much to enjoy with both. The snamke through the skull is a wonderfully disgusting image.
  • The Turning Point

Definitely a turning point for John Mayall. very different from the Clapton et al era. with a strong jazz feel
  • edited September 2023
    Another great Krautrock band from this era is Frumpy and their album “Best Of Frumpy”

• Gypsy

Gypsy                                                                   In The Garden

Antithesis                                                             Unlock The Gates
  • @confused thanks for the tip.That Gypsy s/t is a great album!
  • Yes, I was gonna say the same.
    In my early days as a percussionist,
    I had a special place in my heart for that
    phase drum solo on "side 4." It was something
    very cool for an eleven year old!
  • ^^^I couldn't agree more. Decisions still remains as an all time favourite track!
  • “Collector's Item From the San Francisco Scene“ by The Great Society. Grace Slick’s pre Jefferson Airplane days with the early versions of “Somebody To Love” and “ White Rabbit” done right at the beginning of the West Coast Psychedelic era.

• Carole King

I can't believe it is over 50 years that I've been playing this in various formats, currently th elive version that accompanies the deluxe version from ten years or so ago
  • edited September 2023
    ^^^ @greg- An all time favourite of mine also. 

Harry Nilsson Another old favourite from my youth- 1969-77.

Harry                                                                    Nilsson Sings Newman

The Point!                                                             Nilsson Schmilsson

Son Of Schmilsson                                                A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night

Pussy Cats                                                            Duit On Mon Dei

...That's The Way It Is                                            Knnillssonn
  • edited October 2023
    One of my favourite obscure singles from the mid to late 1960s, "Meditations" by Felius Andromeda. I heard it first on the excellent "Rubble" set of compilations Volume 11.

Absolutely drenched in psychedelia!

Do try the video of the song below with great clips from the "14 Hour Technicolour Dream" psychedelic event of 1967.

Meditations - song and lyrics by Felius Andromeda  Spotify

• edited October 2023
    "Caronte" by The Trip recorded in "Rock's Golden Year" - 1971.

THE TRIP Caronte reviews
  • Reading in the latest issue of Audion about the band Poessitfous from the
    late 70s/early 80s (yes, a decade later than our topic here).
    You guys might want to check them out by starting here.
  • “Part One”, the 1967 album by The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

AMG says “one of the more offbeat acts to emerge during the psychedelic era, the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band were certainly eclectic and ambitious enough to live up to their slightly clumsy moniker. They were capable of jumping from graceful folk-rock to wailing guitar freakouts to atonal, multilayered, avant-garde compositions at a moment's notice, and earned a potent cult following”.

• “Part One”, the 1967 album by The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

AMG says “one of the more offbeat acts to emerge during the psychedelic era, the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band were certainly eclectic and ambitious enough to live up to their slightly clumsy moniker. They were capable of jumping from graceful folk-rock to wailing guitar freakouts to atonal, multilayered, avant-garde compositions at a moment's notice, and earned a potent cult following”.

I'll have to keep an ear out for that. I've got Vol.2 on vinyl with "Suppose They Give A War And No One Comes".
    At any rate, back to the vinyl.
    Hot Tuna 1969-1975

Hot Tuna                                                              First Pull Up, Then Pull Down

Burgers                                                               The Phosphorescent Rat

Yellow Fever
  • More not rock.
    Howlin' Wolf   

Moanin' In The Moonlight   (aka Evil)                    The Real Folk Blues

Howlin' WolfMuddy Waters & Bo Diddley             Message To The Young
      - The Super Super Blues Band

Howlin' Wolf Feat. Eric ClaptonSteve Winwood,   Muddy Waters & Howlin' Wolf - London Revisited
                                   Bill WymanCharlie Watts 
     - The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions
  • edited October 2023
    Didn't include The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band "Part One" album cover in above post. Pretty well much of its time in line with the music.

Part One - Album by The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band  Spotify
  • edited October 2023
    "Dreamlab" the 1975 Krautrock album by Mythos, their second.

ProgArchives says "their two first (albums) are an absolute must for prog completists and all fans of Krautrock"

Mythos - Dreamlab  Releases  Discogs

• edited October 2023
    And Mythos's s/t first album from 1972. Talk about a weird album cover but the music is really good.

Mythos by Mythos Album Krautrock Reviews Ratings Credits Song list -  Rate Your Music
  • And Mythos's s/t first album from 1972. Talk about a weird album cover but the music is really good.

Mythos by Mythos Album Krautrock Reviews Ratings Credits Song list -  Rate Your Music
    The cover shares some elements with Rick Griffin's cover art,