What Are You Listening to (23) Skidoo?

Comments

• "cosmic Jazz music with trumpet, self made synths and sampler". NYOP.
  • Hildegard Westerkamp
    Hildegard Westerkamp (Osnabrück, Germany, 1946) emigrated to Canada in 1968 and gave birth to her daughter in 1977. After completing her music studies in the early seventies her ears were drawn beyond music to the acoustic environment as a broader cultural context or place for intense listening. Whether as a composer, educator, or radio artist most of her work since the mid-seventies has centred around environmental sound and acoustic ecology. The majority of her compositions deal with aspects of the acoustic environment: with urban, rural or wilderness soundscapes, with the voices of children, men and women, with noise or silence, music and media sounds, or with the sounds of different cultures, and so on. She has composed film soundtracks, sound documents for radio and has produced and hosted radio programs such as Soundwalking and Musica Nova on Vancouver Co-operative Radio.

Transformations     Bandcamp,  archive.org

Into India       Bandcamp,  archive.org
  • confused said:

Seconded there's something about the way the composer gives you everything from straight field recordings through the scale to total electronic / tape abstraction that I've found much more interesting than most attempts in this field.
  • ^^^@djh - I first heard her on this compilation and I was really happy to find her albums at the archives.

Autumn Leaves

Holger Czukay  - This morning I'll start making my way through my collection of his albums.

Movies                                                                 On The Way To The Peak Of Normal

Holger CzukayJah WobbleJaki Liebezeit            Jah Wobble - The Edge - Holger Czukay 
      - Full Circle                                                          - Snake Charmer

Der Osten Ist Rot
  • @confused great albums and not to forget Holger’s “La Luna” album, perhaps a bit more of an acquired taste.

• Thanks to @confused I've been snuffling around the Internet Archive like a pig hunting for truffles. This, from a seeminly very prolific artist, has been getting some attention. I like that there are two tracks.  The first is the 58 minute minimal drone composition; the second a five minute field recording of a train that inspired the work. Also I appreciate a bad pun as much as the next guy.

primary image for Jnn114TrainToKnowhere

Also seconded any and all Holger Czukay!

• And because I can never leave things alone...

• edited October 2023
    Well, I didn't see those, but I did find this Bandcamp page.
    Assuming it's the same guy.

• Following a suggestion from a Chinese student. Interesting album. This song is interesting and builds really well (lyric translation is in one of the comments).
  • "After A Lengthy Silence" by French TV

After a Lengthy Silence  FRENCH TV  Mellow label productions
  • ...and the last of them, including La Luna (not forgotten)

Rome Remains Rome                                            David Sylvian + Holger Czukay 
                                                                                    - Plight & Premonition

David Sylvian + Holger Czukay                              Radio Wave Surfer
       - Flux + Mutability

Moving Pictures                                                    La Luna
  • djhdjh
    edited October 2023
    rostasi said:
    Well, I didn't see those, but I did find this Bandcamp page.
    Assuming it's the same guy.

Same guy as I also saw The Ritual Space which is on BC and the Internet Archive. I think he recorded for a few different net labels. Qustion is, is he the former College Quarterback who has his own Wiki page regardless of the photo on his IA page it seems a little unlikely - but who knows?

At IA

• Holy Sons Thanks to @peterfrederics for the introduction. I've really enjoyed everything I heard so far 
    as I have a soft spot for voices like his. 

Lost Decade                                                         I Want To Live A Peaceful Life

My Only Warm Coals                                             Criminal's Return

Drifter's Sympathy                                                Lost Decade II                 
  • edited October 2023

Dreamy prog in Finnish. Nice.
  • Haikara
    It's become a Finnish prog morning.
  • @germanprof a great selection of Finnish albums and here is another one, “Love Remains The Same” by the Von Hertzen Brothers, rated No. 8 album for 2008 by ProgArchives 

• edited October 2023
    And Pekka Pohjola who @Brighternow introduced us to back in 2014. This is his album “Pihkasilmä Kaarnakorva” released in 1972. 

• edited October 2023
    Well, It might just be me, but it seems the new Discogs rollout really doesn't like this computer any more, locking it up and what not for the last few days. I hope these Discogs links aren't messing up anyone else?
    The Horse Flies

Human Fly                                                            Gravity Dance

Until The Ocean

Still an old favourite!
  • @confused no problem with you links for The Horse Flies. I've heard other folk say that Discogs searches are now better but design is worse.
  • @djh - Thanks for the feedback, as I said it's probably just me. I spend a lot of time at Discogs getting the album covers for these posts and sometimes when I click back and forth from artist to album it just stops and that little ball starts rolling and rolling and then more rolling. That sometimes locks up the computer and doesn't allow me to click on anything else. The iTunes keeps playing until the track ends but the time stops. 3 times it went on so long I had to hold in the power button to reboot this mini Mac, which now appears to have knocked out my back-up hard drive (again).
    At any rate, back to the vinyl.
    Hot Tuna 1969-1975

• confused said:
    @djh - Thanks for the feedback, as I said it's probably just me. I spend a lot of time at Discogs getting the album covers for these posts and sometimes when I click back and forth from artist to album it just stops and that little ball starts rolling and rolling and then more rolling. That sometimes locks up the computer and doesn't allow me to click on anything else. The iTunes keeps playing until the track ends but the time stops. 3 times it went on so long I had to hold in the power button to reboot this mini Mac, which now appears to have knocked out my back-up hard drive (again).
    At any rate, back to the vinyl.
    Hot Tuna 1969-1975

I'm afraid that I'm not very techy when it comes to these things. Sounds like it might be a RAM problem?
  • Just dropped as part of my Cantaloupe subscription. The version of Julia Wolfe's LAD is quite a thing (violin put through a fuzzbox, shruti box electronics etc) Now I just have to hear the original which was scored for 9 bagpipes!

• @djh - Oh well, my plan to save space on this computer by keeping the less listener friendly and less played music only on the back-up hard drive has backfired (again). Luddite that I am, I never got around to figuring out that iCloud or Time machine. I still have lots of things to listen to and revisit so c'est la vie.
    Chess Records played a big role in my blues library and this and Voyage 2 were among the first.

Howlin' Wolf
  • @confused I try to move all my music off the laptop as soon as possible (which normally means after a month of two I'm always behind) and onto one of the two 12Tb external drives. Those drives are theoretically mirrored by 2 more 12 Tb drives attached to the hi-fi in the living room. There are of course plenty of discrepencies because I'm not OCD enough to do a proper job. There's only about 500Gb storage on the C drive of this HP laptop and I don't think it performs well once you get above 3/4 of the hd used - even if that shouldn't make a difference. I guess clearing out cache memory is the other thing to keep an eye on.

So anyway Sunday morning and a recent BC purchase.

• And while I'm playing some resent purchases, how about some seriously stoned sounding Geordies?

A heavy psych-folk vibe.

This discussion has been closed.