What Are You Listening to (23) Skidoo?

Comments

• Thanks to @Germanprof for the introduction. I really enjoyed Bloom and A guitar refrain for garden plants & recently added these from the archives. 
     Ian Hawgood

The Fire Will Die At Night    nyop / archive.org     Spiral Into Somewhere    nyop / archive.org

Enfants Ruraux     nyop / archive.org                   A Life In Abstract Colours    nyop / archive.org

Before I Let The Sunshine Rot nyop / archive.org
  • edited November 2023
    Do you sometimes really like an album but then find that other people think that it’s pretty ordinary!!??

My example is New Zealand Psych Rock band Space Farm’s 1972 s/t album. To my mind it’s excellent, particularly the first track “Space Farm”, the second one “Homeward Bound” and the seventh one “Gypsy Queen”. But everybody else thinks it’s just okay. How could they all be so wrong!

Interested to hear if you’ve had similar experiences and do try the YouTube link below and let me know what you think of Space Farm. Good, bad or ordinary!

https://youtu.be/xLuRKBYLxeE?t=13

• @peterfrederics - Well, that could describe much of my library. It used to drive me nuts in my youth that with all the variety of albums I had back then, folks would pick Cheech & Chong. I've had my fair share of folks who disliked something that they've never heard but I think I've taken it all in stride.
    As for Space Farm, I only listened to track 1 and look forward to hearing the rest when I get to the esses. I see YouTube has an expanded set with individual tracks.

and, here's a couple of morning listens. Thanks again to @Germanprof- The other albums are from Ian Hawgood's Koen Music label and the 15 album discography is still available for £1 so I still have some more to look forward to. Here's where it began, perfect early morning listening when the house is so quiet.

Ian Hawgood + Stijn Hüwels - Bloom    nyop        A guitar refrain for garden plants    nyop

Wolfskin   nyop                                                    We Are Better For Being Built This Way   nyop

Piano Works    nyop                                              The Shattered Light    nyop

Wolven (A Modern Interpretation)     nyop

• Tujiko Noriko – Crépuscule I & II

Re-issue from January this year of an early Mego release, allegedly the first ambient release on that label. Very delicate and airy. Peaceful and dreamlike. Proper ambient for proper dreamers if you will ;)

• TMT always has me debating with myself. The lyrics are often built on clichés (in this case, life is like a river, it carries you downstream, you have to sink or swim, my feelings run deep) and have a kind of surface naivete that initially turns me off. Then I start chiding my cynical self and its pretensions to sophistication and find that the songs draw me in if I let my guard down a little, and the directness becomes refreshing. Music that wears its heart on its sleeve.
  • Exceptional spiritual jazz record from Argentina that was laid down in 1975.

110901jpg

• Allison Russell - The Returner
  • "World Music", the 2012 album by Swedish, Psych Rock band Goat. As its title suggests, a heady blend of World Music and Psych.

Goat  World Music 2020 CD - Discogs

• Inara George
    US American folk/rock musician and singer. 
    Born July 4, 1974 in Towson, Maryland. 
    Daughter of Lowell George and Elizabeth George.
    Plus a beautiful voice and half of The Bird And The Bee

All Rise                                                                 Inara George w/Van Dyke Parks - An Invitation

Accidental Experimental                                       Dearest Everybody
  • rostasi said:
    Exceptional spiritual jazz record from Argentina that was laid down in 1975.

110901jpg

Thanks for the reminder about this one. Somewhere... and I do mean "somewhere" probably over the rainbow, I have a cheeky cd-r rip of this album found during the happy daze of "sharity blogs". It's up on YouTube for those who want a listen. Think maybe of Coltrane's cover of "Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise" or similar.

• Why not just go to the Bandcamp link?
  • rostasi said:
    Why not just go to the Bandcamp link?

Now that is a good point, and the answer is that until just now I didn't realise that there was one. I don't automatically click on images. Anyway the YouTube rip has a couple of nasty bumps and scratches so thanks for pointing that out.
  • edited November 2023
    Remember that for years I've nearly always linked my covers to a source - usually, in the past couple of years, Bandcamp. It's why it gets frustrating sometimes when someone points out what they think is an exceptional album - only to leave you hangin'.
  • edited November 2023
    On a beautiful spring day listening to one of my all time favourite jazz albums "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis.

@rostasi thanks, many moons ago, for teaching me how to link my covers to a source. I’ve done it every time without fail ever since!

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue MoFi 2LP 180g 45RPM Numbered
  • rostasi said:
    Remember that for years I've nearly always linked my covers to a source - usually, in the past couple of years, Bandcamp. It's why it gets frustrating sometimes when someone points out what they think is an exceptional album - only to leave you hangin'.

I plead the Fifth - or more to the point I blame the shared bottle of 10% Orkney Breweries Ale I started the day with...
  • Ini Kamoze

Ini Kamoze                                                           Statement

Pirate                                                                   Shocking Out
  • edited November 2023
    "Earthsong of Silence" by Wax Machine.

A psych album released in 2020, it is one of my favourite albums this year. 

Mind you, it goes on my list of albums that I seem to like much more than everybody else does!

• edited November 2023
    Israel Martínez
    A Mexican artist, creating works in multidisciplinary art, including experimental and electroacoustic music, actions, video, installation and site-specific projects, mainly focused on sound as source and theme.

Cubensis        archive.org                                   Archives 2006      archive.org

El Hombre Que Se Sofoca                                     Two Espressos In Separate Cups 

KK Null/Israel Martínez/Lumen Lab - Incognita    The Minutes      archive.org

South Of Heaven    archive.org

In collaboration with Diego Martínez

By placing the installation’s headphones on our ears, we hear the unmistakable voice of Felipe Calderón “…que restablecer la seguridad no será fácil, ni rápido, que tomará tiempo, que costará mucho dinero, e incluso, y por desgracia, vidas humanas. Pero ténganlo por seguro, esta es una batalla en la que yo estaré al frente, es una batalla que tenemos que librar, y que unidos, los mexicanos, vamos a ganar a la delincuencia” (“…that to restore security will not be easy or fast, that it will take time, that it will cost a lot of money and even, unfortunately, human lives. But be certain that it is a battle that I will lead, it is a battle that we must fight and that, together, us Mexicans, will beat delinquency.”)

Next, the sound becomes inaudible, not because it can´t be heard but because it is impossible to listen to it willingly. After the presidential address, the voice of a woman crying is reproduced saying “déjame pasar, es mi hijo, es mi casa” (“let me in, it is my son, it is my house”. Someone else, with a thick accent from Chihuaha narrates how a car stopped in front of the house and from the car, someone killed two boys with a shotgun. The person in car has fourteen or fifteen years old and left a note: “Faltan 11. Vamos a venir por ellos” (“Eleven to go. We will come for them”).

The array of horrors continue: stories by members from the army, deserters, policemen, cartel members, and anonymous voices intertwine with sounds of gunshots, executions, duels and parties. Its a collage with various recordings taken from the internet that document life of a country where war has been declared against drug-trafficking. There is a point where a cartel member narrates how him and his partners cross to the US to buy guns.

This work was originally commissioned for the exhibition PCFS – Post Colonial Flagship Store, in 2014 at the freiraum quartier21 of the MuseumsQuartier in Vienna. In the show several artists used the flagship store model that beyond selling look to position the brand through key products and exclusive experiences to create critique about neocolonialism in a contemporary world. 

South of Heaven touches on the asymmetric relationship between the US and Mexico using the analogy between music, guns and drug distribution and economy. Martínez shows how the US is the principal distributer of content in the internet as well as the largest consumer of drugs that get made or travel through Mexico and also the largest supplier of guns for the cartels as they promote a war against drugs. The sound played through the speakers of a person sniffing coke grows as does our discomfort with the various elements of the work.

Our northern neighbors don’t know the phrase that in Mexico is part of a collective imaginery, “Poor Mexico, so far from God and so close to the USA!”

• "Earthsong of Silence" by Wax Machine.

A psych album released in 2020, it is one of my favourite albums this year. 

Mind you, it goes on my list of albums that I seem to like much more than everybody else does!

I’m enjoying this - thanks for the tip.
  • J. Boogie's Dubtronic Science

J. Boogie's Dubtronic Science                                Soul Vibrations

Soul Vibrations: Dub Remixes                               Undercover
  • Please don't think badly of me, but this has been played three times so far this morning.

The Shakespearean Frog - Elite Toilet Soap (2020) (Comfy Synth, Ambient)

Also available here if you feel the need.

• Jac Berrocal

Parallèles                                                              Telectu Cutler Berrocal

The Oblique Sessions                                           Superdisque
  • The drummer is the guy who holds all of this together.
    Just an incredible album:

• Lowlife said:

Thanks for the introduction!    https://archive.org/details/elina-duni-lost-ships

MDLV                                                                   Antigravity

Exterior Lux                                                         Transcodex
This discussion has been closed.