7 Digital Sale

7 Digital has some good things on sale for $4 or $5 here

Comments

• Some of those titles were in the Xmas sale last year - here's hoping. Has anyone else used their Mac version Download Manager? While faster than zipfile it is rather sloooooowwww I found. Just curious r.e. other's experiences.
  • the sale titles look pretty cut-rate.
  • I liked them better at $2 but yeah, I guess $4 to $5 is a pretty good cut in the rate.
  • They've got the new Elton/Leon disc that I just paid full price for a physical copy. Oh well....
  • Not on topic, but FWIW, just wanted to register my experience with 7digital CS recently. Last Wednesday creeping into early Thursday I DL'd two live UFO EPs, and with one of them 2 of the 3 tracks froze each time I attempted download until My Locker told me I had exceeded the Download Limit which would be three apparently. It took until today for me to get a satisfactory pertinent response to fix the situation, besides the 2 robo-responses and my increasingly impatient replies in the interim. Not really a great turnaround time - Amazon did way better the one time I needed them, and the moral of the story is I should have doublechecked there because they had the same items slightly cheaper.
  • Well, it being that time of year when hopeful children lay dreaming of $2 Album Xmas Sales....keep watching the skies....oops, wrong movie....I am watching 7digital and it seems there are a few more sale titles than I remember from the weekend - alright here's the link, 7digital , laid down in hope - namely Beggars Banquet and The Best of the Animals, both $4, in the front page Classic MP3 Albums bar, both of which I find I need. Keep your fingers crossed, children.
  • Got the 7digital newsletter today -- the Advent Calendar starts tomorrow.
  • Awesome. Thanks mommio!

Craig
  • Far out! That must be what had my right eye twitching. I thought it was just cyber-fatigue.
  • Well, it being that time of year when hopeful children lay dreaming of $2 Album Xmas Sales
    Far out! That must be what had my right eye twitching. I thought it was just cyber-fatigue.

Oh, Big-D, you're such a tease. You knew. I was just confirming.
  • edited December 2010
    Didn't know, was fervently hoping. So, it's on.......today Rolling Stones catalog sale, $3 single albums. $6.99 several Singles collections, Exiles or Ya-Ya's Deluxe.

I paid $4 for Beggars Banquet last night....swinnndddlllleeeee. OK, I guess I can learn to live with the pain.
  • Thanks @BigD-Bluez, I filled in three RS's I did not have.
  • Here's my list from the brief time they were on eMu:
    Aftermath (April 4, 2008)
    Beggars Banquet (April 3, 2008)
    Between the Buttons UK (April 5, 2008)
    Get Your Ya-Ya's On {April 3, 2008)
    Let It Bleed (April 3, 2008)
    Out Of Our Heads (April 8, 2008)
    The Rolling Stones, Now! (April 4, 2008)

From 7digital (sale prices during Feb and Mar 2010):
    A Bigger Bang (2009 Remastered)
    Some Girls
    Sticky Fingers

On CD (thought I had a couple more, but they aren't in my stash):
    Forty Licks
    Hot Rocks
    Stripped

Do you have any recommendations that I really should add to my list or am I already "Stoned" out of my mind?
  • Exile on Mainstreet's really good. this version's $3.

I also really like Their Satanic Majesties Request, but for some reason it's not on sale.
  • edited December 2010
    The only RS albums I like much at all, personally, are Satanic Majesties' Request and Goat's Head Soup, FWIW. The latter is on 7digital for $3... Don't take my word for it though - a lot of people see those two records (esp. the first one) as almost "non-canonical" within the RS discography, so maybe that's part of why I like them.
  • mommio, I second amclark on Exiles - it's for me the last entire album I have any use for. The Stones momentary tenure on eMu during which you wisely downloaded was my first eMu WTF moment, though not last, because by the time I got back to them they were gone. Amusingly the Rolling Stones and the Rolling Stones 2 albums I picked up this morning were albums I bitched at eMu about a couple of weeks ago because I said I thought older material was supposed to be no more than 0.49 a track, and they have those 2 at 0.79 a track, $6.99 album - Pshaw, I say.
  • i 3rd the Exile recommendation; like BigD, it was the last Stones album I loved all the way through.

for my money "Their Satanic Majesties Request" works far better as a psychedelic album than Sgt. Pepper;
    She's A Rainbow, 2000 Man, The Lantern and 2000 Light Years From Home are essential.
    Derivative? maybe, but only as the Stones could be.
  • So I've got:

High Tides and Green Grass
    Aftermath (US)
    Between the Buttons (US)
    Satanic Majesties
    Beggars Banquet
    Let It Bleed
    Sticky Fingers
    Exile on Main Street

so basically '66 - '72. Where should I go next?
  • 66-72, those were the glory years;
    Goat's Head Soup and Some Girls have their moments, but nothing like Aftermath to Exile (or High Tides).
  • Agree with selfrisinmojo, you've got the essentials and could probably live with comps for anything after Goat's Head Soup. 7Digital didn't appear to have many of them, but I think the Stones have the highest ratio of comps/live albums to studio albums of any band I have ever seen.

40 Licks is a pretty good overall comp, but it will have a bunch of stuff from the albums you already have. I would also suggest getting Keith's solo albums, or at minimum his comp "Vintage Vinos". They are what the Stones should have sounded like in the late 80's and 90's, but for a guy named Mick.
  • Thanks, fellows! I loaded up.

Exile On Main Street
    Goats Head Soup
    Their Satanic Majesties Request (not on sale)
    High Tide and Green Grass
    The Rolling Stones
    The Rolling Stones 2

Wonder what tomorrow will bring . . .
  • edited December 2010
    "More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies) is a good Stones comp for a collection that includes High Tides and Aftermath through Exile.....good b-sides and early album tracks.
    get it cheap though

agree with Bluesboy on Keith Richards solo, "Talk Is Cheap" and "Main Offender" well worth
    investigation.
  • I picked up Sticky Fingers, It's Only Rock and Roll, Some Girls, Tattoo You, and Stripped. They join the many purchased on eMu, making for a pretty well rounded collection of RS.

I listened to Some Girls last night, that album was certainly a big part of the soundtrack of my High School years. Hot Rocks was a constant companion in College.
  • Since they're still on sale at the moment, I'm trying to decide between the US and UK versions. Considering I own Hot Rocks, would I be better off getting the UK versions? (I already have Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile)

I remember someone posting a really good comparison of the US vs UK versions when they hit eMu. Wish I could remember it.
  • Thanks for the recommendation for Keith Richard.In the uK we only have one album available Vintage Vinos, which is basically the best of his three solo albums - it is downloading as I write this. If you like early Rolling Stones, try Bill Wyman's solo releases. They are basically Bill and his mates playing together in the studio, having fun. There is also one live release. My two favourites are Just for the Thrill and Anyway the Wind Blows, but all are worth a listen if you like early RS
  • I have most if not all of the Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings releases and like them a lot - not flash, just very nice bluesy roots-rock material with that British sensibility.
  • Well, today you can load up on all those Black Eyed Peas records you've been wanting.
  • Well, today you can load up on all those Black Eyed Peas records you've been wanting.
    I did ... without spending a penny!

I'm no fan of the Rolling Stones -- of all the catalog from the "golden" years I only like half of Beggars Banquet -- but I decided to give the early "blues band" a try and bought #2. If the catalog remains on sale I might get another.

I'm thinking that the big sale won't happen. I would be happy if the Advent Calendar focused on whole artists' catalogs.
  • I'm no fan of the Rolling Stones -- of all the catalog from the "golden" years I only like half of Beggars Banquet -- but I decided to give the early "blues band" a try and bought #2. If the catalog remains on sale I might get another

if you like #2 and haven't heard Exile, i would recommend it as an example of a band that has
    finally reached a full realization, and command, of their roots and promise.