7 Digital Sale

Comments

• This may have been mentioned earlier, but if not, it is a great deal; five complete discs for $8.99, almost six hours long. The Art of the Violin by Andre Manze, containing sonatas and concertos by Corelli, Vivaldi, Mozart and Jean-Fery Rebel, who I am not familiar with.
    http://us.7digital.com/artists/andrew-manze/the-art-of-the-violin/

Info on tracks can be found at the Harmonia Mundi site
    http://www.harmoniamundi.com/#/albums?view=playlists&id=1389

I hope the links are live, not sure if I remember how to do that.
  • This doesn't seem to have been posted here yet:
    Beethoven - Complete symphonies from Emmanuel Krivine and La Chambre Philharmonique.
    €9.49 for a new period-instruments set that's been getting some rave reviews: Gramophone said "if you know someone who has yet to discover this greatest of all symphony cycles, you could hardly do better than give them this as a gift", while Fanfare said "it can stand comparison with many classic cycles".
    I've listened to the first three symphonies so far, and they're vibrant, joyful, thrilling things, with glorious in-your-face sound. Roll over, Chuck Berry, so to speak.
  • edited September 2011
    U.S. link for the above Beethoven, $9.99 here. Hmm...
    BTW, that Art of the Violin rec sounds really good. Thanks, MrV.

Not my favorite classical listening but I'm tempted - 9+ hours, Schubert - Les Grandes Sonates Pour Piano, by Alain Planes, $8.99. Oh, did I mention it contains the indubitable Wanderer Fantasie?

Another Beethoven - Beethoven Volume 3 - The 9 Symphonies/The Columbia Symphony Orchestra-Bruno Walter, 7dig $9.99.
    Also eyeballing this at Amazon - Beethoven : The 9 Symphonies by Furtwangler & The Vienna Philharmonic, $11.99. It is however a live recording with its attendant issues.
  • edited September 2011
    I don't think we've covered this one yet - another tiresome 9+ hour release - Isaac Albenis - Complete Piano Works by Rena Kyriakou, $9.99. Sounds nice - a lot of solo piano for me. I'd probably listen to 9 hours straight of classical guitar, but piano I prefer jazz.
  • edited September 2011
    The regular version of this new release - Superheavy - by the "supergroup" of the same name is $5 here. The samples have me scratching my head a little as to what exactly the product is - will require more observation.
    The new Tori Amos as well as several other notables also $5.
  • edited September 2011
    Good news on the 7dig front - the Search function seems to have been restored to proper working order (as Germanprof had said they promised him was to happen). It's way better than anytime recently in any event.
    Also c.f. Columbia Es Pasion Vol.2 up near the top of the page - first volume has shown up at 7dig - Columbia Es Pasion - 100 songs, $2.49 (this one is not on eMu, for $1.94 like the other).

Here's another Beethoven : Symphonies 1-9, by the Hanover Band, on period instruments, $8.99. Numerous reviews on the Amazon page.
  • edited September 2011
    6 disc, 6+ hours, $8.99 - Mozart:The Complete Mozart Divertimentos - Historic First Recorded Edition, New York Philomusica. Am liking the samples.

Interesting find on Supraphon - not a bargain but at $8.99 vs. $15.98 at Amazon if you wanted it....
    Bach:Cello Suites by Rostropovich. A reviewer at Amazon says this is a 1955 live recording of such. Being as how this is one of my more favorite musical entities, and that the CD studio version by Rostropovich is my favorite rendition, this might be a must have.

Bit of a bargain on Supraphon - Beethoven:Complete Violin Sonatas by Jan Panenka & Josef Suk, $8.99, 4 hours.
    As is this one - Bach:The Well Tempered Clavier, Zuzana Ruzickova.
  • edited October 2011
    I was getting the album Calcutta Slide-Guitar by Debashish Bhattacharya over at eMu and looking over his other selections I just wondered if this 3 track album Young Masters might be cheaper at 7dig - it is - $2.97.
    There would seem to be good pricings on many releases from Navras Records also at 7dig, $8.99 on some bigger sets, and $2.97 for instance on 3 track long raga releases.
    This also Three Ragas - The Ravi Shankar Collection, $2.49.
  • edited October 2011
    Another mammoth latin release courtesy of YOYO - Homenaje a los Grandes Compositores de la Musica Tropical Columbiana - 5+ hours, $2.49. EDIT - the link was bad on this one, should work now.
    This 5 disc set is $8.99 - Boleros Inolvidables - $29.95 at eMu.
  • Is it deja vu all over again - I think this is new to this thread - Mozart:Piano Sonatas (Complete) by Reine Gianoli. $8.99 for 5:49.
    Ah, it was the Mozart:The Complete Sonatas For Piano by Carmen Piazzini at eMu I was thinking of.
    So much piano, so little time.
  • I just found this complete set on Harmonia Mundi, and it is priced at $8.99 for over three and one half hours of music.

Beethoven: Complete Sonatas for piano & violin
    by Isabelle Faust, Alexander Melnikov
    http://us.7digital.com/artists/isabelle-faust-alexander-melnikov/beethoven-complete-sonatas-for-piano-and-violin/
  • edited November 2011
    7dig has this new one Smoking In Heaven by Kitty, Daisy & Lewis for $5. Haven't had time to check it out but I liked their previous stuff I have, rock with a kind of neo-rockabilly sensibility (courtesy of Amie as I recall).

I can't even recall how I stumbled on this but interesting - Northern Soul and R&B Essentials - don't know how accurate (?truthful?) the title is, but is 100 songs, $9.99. Note to self Mickey Hawks/Night Raiders are on numerous comps.

Edit - To the post below, I think Bullmoose falls under the R&B part of the title.
  • Bullmoose Jackson's Big Ten Inch Record is now Northern Soul? Lol.
  • edited November 2011
    I own a lot of Django Reinhardt CDs. As a matter of fact I think only Jimi Hendrix has more shelf space than him in my collection, and that's only because Jimi's best releases have been remixed and re-released 2 or 3 times. Django I've got a bunch of those JSP box sets and many others, but if I didn't I would get this in a heartbeat - The Ultimate Django Reinhardt Collection - 101 Classic Recordings - 101 tracks, 458 minutes, $10.99. It's got all you need to see what Django's all about, and what the fuss is all about. Also at eMu if you prefer for a buck more. This is a heavyweight collection.

Also I don't know if this 100 tracker ever landed here - Art Pepper - 100 Masterpieces, $8.99, looks like tracks under his own banner and with others, incl. Red Norvo, Chet Baker.
  • Kinda OT: Have the samples at 7Digital always been 1 minute long or what that some sort of recent change? Regardless, it made sampling the 2:xx - 3:xx long songs on that Django Reinhardt collection quite pleasing & useful.

Further OT: I assume eMu's still providing 30 second samples. Am I misremembering or didn't eMu have some plans to extend the length of their samples?
  • edited November 2011
    No, 7dig samples were 30 seconds before - I thought they seemed longer lately but hadn't timed it. It is a nice touch, and one which eMu would do well to eMulate.

eMulate (em-u-layte):copy, try to resemble or be like iTunes. (wouldn't hurt them to have longer samples either, not that it would matter to me).
  • 0000555607_182.jpg
    I've never before heard Lonnie Donegan, the sogennant Skiffle King, but these are some hard-charging versions of American folk and country songs. $8.99
  • edited November 2011
    The Talich Quartet's complete Mozart String Quartets for €9.49.
    These recordings came out originally in the 80s and 90s to much acclaim.
  • edited November 2011
    Thank you, Nefferid. Can't have too much Mozart - US link, $9.99.
    Edit - Thanks again as I find this fills in very substantially an area of Mozart that was not overly represented in my collection.
  • Yes, thanks very much for the Mozart, I've been looking for a complete collection of the quartets for a while.
  • Referencing the Django Reinhardt post a few above, I found this album cover stored in my pictures folder - if he'd had the full use of all his fingers, I'd still be amazed by the playing, but given what happened to that playing hand in a caravan fire at age 18, it truly is astonishing -
    61UXRvwWhDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • edited November 2011
    Stubborn cuss that I am I sometimes revisit things that hadn't panned out previously and le voila - r.e. the YoYo label discussion on page 5 of this thread, 2 of the releases that just would not show up are now available - Baroque Festival, which may have been listed as Festival Baroque, 42 tracks, 7+ hours, $9.99 ($43.49 at Amazon), also the 14 disc Las Joyas De Beethoven is now available, $9.99, 13+ hours - however, if you already picked up the Orquesta de Lubov Beethoven:Las Nueve Sinfonias (that was $1.94 at eMu) you would only be getting 7 discs worth of additional material since 7 of the 14 discs are occupied by them and Ludwig's Nine.
    And I forgot to thank eMusic for being so screwed up at this time that I had the leisure to revisit these propositions.

And, hallo, any thoughts on The Alexander String Quartet - Beethoven:The Complete String Quartets? $9.99, 71 tracks, 8+ hours. Just found this, have to listen to some samples when I can. I see they've got six 5 star user reviews at Amazon, where it is, ahem, $74.

BTW, the 7digital site says (trepidacious tremor) they have a new site beta up in the UK only, stand by to get an invite later in the week in the US. oh, I hope this isn't going to ruin Christmas.
  • Re the Alexander String Quartet, here's Fanfare's Jerry Dubins:
    Among modern-instrument cycles of the Beethoven quartets to appear within, say, the last dozen years, I would rate the new ASQ set in the top echelon, which, in my estimation, would include the recent Endellion on Warner Classics, the Cleveland on Telarc, the Tak
  • edited November 2011
    Downloaded that String Quartet release and am liking the playing very much, no let me rephrase that, very very much; the bitrates are a little underwhelming at average 180 something (as on the Baroque Festival), but they sound fine. Might just be the quartet instrumentation.
  • edited November 2011
    Does eMu suck? Well, yes, but I saw this release there and decided to check out old 7dig where, ooh, it's $8.99 - Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings - Collector's Edition Box Set. 5 discs, 66 tracks, 244 minutes. I really like this band, he's had some very tasty players in the line-up, and I like their sound - a very British take on R&B, not flash, but very nicely done. It would seem many of their albums are not currently available digitally (but eMu's got some,huh?) - I've got CDs - and I'm unsure where this set overlaps/includes previous albums, but at $8.99 it's already downloading. eMu wants $29.95 for this. Oops, Amazon only wants $17.95 - so much for cheaper. Anyhow, highly recommend the band.
  • edited November 2011
    A great set of discs BDB - they are all available here digitally on emusic and elsewhere. As you say some great players in his various bands, in a quite distinct British style. I saw them probably 10 years or so ago - a great evening. They haven't toured for a while or even released any new material - a shame. I'll have to play some of their music today - thanks for the reminder. Not dissimilar, but with more of a jazz feel is Georgie Fame - I'm fairly sure anyway that he played on some of the earlier Rhythm Kings releases. Unusually for 7 digital the complete set is not available to us, but I have them all anyway.

Update - I've just been looking at Bill Wyman's website. He has been touring the UK for the last couple of months until mid December, sadly nowhere near me! He also has a new CD Live Communication released a couple of weeks ago from his last tour in 2008. At the moment Amazon only have it in CD format at £11.99 with no digital version. I'll wait until it is available online at that price for a single CD
  • 0001233366_182.jpg
    Song of the Sibyl by Jordi Savall and crew -- $2.49.
  • Thanks, BT! Snapped that up, downloading now. Sounds gorgeous from the samples.
  • Big D and Bad Thoughts, Thanks for the excellent tips on the Beethoven Quartets and the Jordi Savall. It's like an early Christmas at these prices for these great recordings.
    MrV.
  • edited December 2011
    The Advent Calender is up. Maybe tomorrow or the next day I'll know who it is, but here's hoping for something good. Or the Bee Gees.