Guvera

Comments

• edited January 2013
    *Germanprof (or anyone else!) - If you like the Specials (specifically Terry Hall), his first post-Specials band (with a couple other Specials) was Fun Boy Three - they had two great but different sounding albums (one - S/T - tribal sounding instruments but different and fun, the other - Waiting - more pop but really excellent stuff). Both on G. Then, Terry's next band was The Colourfield. I know some of their singles and recently downloaded both their albums from G (but not much time to absorb yet). Again, a very different sound but what I know or have heard is very good. Nowhere close to ska, though, if that is what you want.

And I second (or third?) the Dukes rec. Consistently good XTC stuff.
  • @Rudie, Fun Boy Three were among my early downloads in the current Guvera flood. Good stuff. Haven't tried The Colourfield - vaguely remember them, but not enough to have an opinion from memory. Will check.
  • Muggsy - exactly the kind of list I've been looking for. Thanks. In that spirit, here's a list of artists that I have downloaded (with the same caveats - I checked some of my Guv DL's and found that they were gone - in some cases I've excised the names, and others...)

A Band of Bees 
    John Abercrombie
    Bebel Gilberto
    Ben Webster 
    Bill Evans and Jim Hall
    Billie Holiday 
    Bobby Hutcherson
    Carla Bley 
    Chaka Khan 
    Chet Baker 
    Circle 
    Dave Holland 
    Dexy's Midnight Runners
    Dino Saluzzi 
    Esa-Pekka Salonen
    George Russell 
    Gil Gilberto 
    Ginger Baker 
    Gong 
    Grant Green 
    Hank Mobley 
    Horace Silver 
    Jan Garbarek
    Joe Lovano 
    John McLaughlin
    Johnny Adams 
    Johnny Thunders
    Jon Hassell 
    Kenny Drew 
    Kenny Wheeler 
    King Sunny Ade 
    Lloyd Cole 
    Marcia Ball 
    Muddy Waters 
    Nick Cave 
    Norah Jones 
    Ornette Coleman
    Patato & Totico
    Porcupine Tree 
    Pretty Things 
    Quantic 
    Residents 
    Rick James 
    Toots and the Maytals
    Roswell Rudd & Toumani Diabate
    Rufus 
    Scott Walker 
    Serge Gainbourg
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Stan Getz 
    Stanley Turrentine
    Terry Callier 
    Thad Jones 
    The Beach Boys 
    The Creatures 
    The Dells 
    The Future Sounds of London
    The Jam 
    The Move 
    The Residents
    War & Eric Burdon
    X
    XTC 

Some of these are replacements of cassettes that I had (the Jam, XTC...). Some are artists I''m trying to complete discographies (Carla Bley, Bobby Hutcherson). I gorged on Blue Note on the first gorging. Malicool by Roswell Rudd (with Diabate) is incredible, and the two GInger Baker's I picked up are produced by BIll Laswell (I recommend Hear No Evil by Laswell). The Black-Man's Burdon is over the top and fun.
  • Thanks Bremble, some good stuff there. I've now used up all my Guvera downloads and will have to replenish daily, but I've got a list of things to keep me busy for a while.
  • I'd like to put in a plug for Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel. I replaced my vinyl copies of Hole and Nail. If you are not familiar, the music is kinda industrial/orchestral and the lyrics are sort of sick (obsessed with the devil, manson, etc) but with a great sense of humor! (Sample lyric: "I'm the one who gave the sandwich to Mamma Cass...") I feel like I'm not really selling this very well...but I highly recommend both.
  • Here's a list of artists on my iPods right now:

Syd Barrett
    Alison Krauss and Robert Plant
    Magazine
    Taylor Swift
    John Martyn
    The Who
    Rihanna
    Vangelis
    Air
    Minutemen
    The Orb
    The Buggles
    Brian Eno
    George Harrison
    Scott Wallker
    Jay-Z
    Mos Def
    Lana Del Rey
    Art Tatum
    Cybotron
    Cannibal Ox
    Billy Preston
    Bruce Haack
    The Yardbirds
    Elton John
    The Saints
    Richard & Linda Thompson
    Buffy Sainte-Marie
    Arabian Prince
    Killing Joke
    Fairport Convention
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Lee Konitz
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Tornados
    Donna Summer
    Marion Brown
    Massive Attack
    Loretta Lynn
    Tiamat
    Wadada Leo Smith
    Rolling Stones
    Lynrd Skynrd
  • edited January 2013
    Correct Use of Soap is my personal favorite if that is available.
    Sadly it isn't! Haha. I know nothing of Magazine but I had a look on itunes about them & I liked that one's title the best! Yes, I have chosen albums by their titles or artwork.

Hmm, not sure itunes can tell me everything I got from Guvera. Most of the tracks have guvera in the comments, but the ones missing track #1 do not. And I can't remember which ones....
  • I'm still on holidays ;) Everyone else is back in the office - the new tracks are all coming up on the front page and you'll see artists from every major label now too, huzzah!

The failed tracks are still being recorded, anything coming through to CS goes into a huge spread sheet they are working their way through.
    Think at the moment though the new stuff is taking priority and the older fixes will come in one large update.

Happy New Years all...
  • I am still working my way through ECM's jazz library. Only about 200 albums to go....!
  • @Katrina - I would absolutely get that album just for the name alone.

@dddanmar - Good to hear. I'll start sending my list of failed d/ls over to CS.
  • Rudie: Get XTC's later albums either Nonsuch or Oranges and Lemons. Fossil Fuel is a brilliant compilation. Wish all this was available to us in the UK, willing to trial!!!!!
  • As pointed out somewhere above, most of the XTC stuff is gone from Guv. Maybe it will come back with the new additions, I hope so. I recently got "Oranges and Lemons," an album I previously had only on cassette. What a mind-trippingly great album, eg, songs like Scarecrow People and Garden of Earthly Delights. Actually quite "Afrobeat" in places, which I never noticed back in the mid-80s.
  • edited January 2013
    51YKZXP7CCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's a good one, though missing a couple tracks. Hoping the Texas Tornados stuff will show up!

ETA: Discovered the TX Tornados are on Warners - along with a ton of other stuff, notably including Neil Young. Could that be among the new additions??? We shall see...
  • @lowlife - Sorry to hear you're not able to join the gorging yet! I do appreciate the tip, but I've already got just about everything XTC has released (including my favorite "No Thugs In Our House" 7" complete with mini-puppet show!). Other than their first two albums, which are hit and miss for me, I think every other album has merit. The Transistor Blast box is good if you ever get ahold of that - two discs of peel sessions and two live CD's.
  • Oops sorry, Guvera is currently not available in your region.
    Stay tuned, we hope to be there soon. For all updates check out the Guvera Blog.

It has been the same for at least two years!!!
  • edited January 2013
    It has been the same for at least two years!!!
    - Really ?
    If an exception were made for the two of us, we promise that we won't tell anyone, right ?
  • I am still working my way through ECM's jazz library. Only about 200 albums to go....!
    I guess our recommendations are superfluous: they might speed up obtaining an album by days, maybe only hours.
  • Guvera is being weird for me tonight. On account #1, I had to sign in 3 times before it took. I don't think I fat-fingered the password because that gives an error message. It simply skept showing "Login" on the top right until the 3rd try. then finally showed my # of downloads.

On the 2nd account it is similar, showing "Login" on the top right, but when I try to login, it tells me I'm already logged in. I was still able to download, though.
    Finally a refresh gave me the # of credits.

Not really a problem, I guess; just very odd, and I was curious if anyone else saw this.
  • I was curious if anyone else saw this.
    If only......
  • If only......

ditto....
  • Apologies for any reduncy but browsing for ideas found there's quite a lot of Joe Bonamassa, also the eponymous first album from his rock side project Black Country Communion (highly rec'd - other band members include Glenn Hughes and Jason Bonham). If you'd like to hear Ritchie Blackmore getting his medieval thing on there is a lot by Blackmore's Night - I have some and it's nice listening although I don't have any favorite album (rec'd if you like say Loreena McKennit type stuff), and there's a bunch of old, also live, Deep Purple, not so much the classic studio albums. Also Hog Groove - by the Austin, TX roots-rock band (the)Tailgators (as G. calls them - not to be confused with the British psychobilly band of the same name).
  • If only

ditto ditto
  • Looks like the New Years credits are gone, still got 8 this morning.
  • edited January 2013
    Ditto on the 8. Have been looking at some blues, and although the Search aspect is an unholy mess, there is a fair representation of artists/albums from the Black Top label (Amazon link for reference), and at least some from Bullseye (link) as well. G. has numerous albums by Roomful of Blues but the one I rec most highly is the first, The First Album, that Duke Robillard was on. From the Black Top/Bullseye family some of the talents are Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets, Robert Ward, any Ronnie Earl, the James Harman Band. Some of the comp albums don't come up by title and have to be accessed through the artists, but there are some good ones.
  • Here's my G. list for the last 18 months or so -

Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets
    Arcady
    Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers,or & the Jazz Messengers
    Art Farmer Quintet with Gigi Gryce
    Art Tatum (the Group Masterpieces)
    Bela Fleck
    Ben Webster
    Billy Sheehan
    Bryan Sutton
    Cannonball Adderley
    Charlie Byrd
    Coleman Hawkins
    Colosseum
    David Grisman
    Dexter Gordon
    Dizzy Gillespie
    Donald Byrd
    Eric Dolphy
    Fania All-Stars
    Gary Moore
    Gene Ammons/Richard "Groove" Holmes
    Harry "Sweets" Edison
    Holmes Brothers
    Imelda May
    Jethro Tull
    Joe Pass
    John Coltrane
    Johnny Hodges
    Johnny Smith
    Lionel Hampton
    Milt Jackson, Oscar Peterson
    Oscar Peterson Trio, Quarter, and & Roy Eldridge
    Paul McCartney
    Philip Catherine Trio
    Pink Floyd
    Roy Eldridge
    Sonny Rollins
    Stan Getz and Cal Tjader
    Teisco Del Rey
    Thad Jones
    V.A. - Complete JATP
    Wynton Kelly
  • My G-list, from last year and this:

A Place To Bury Strangers
    Adebisi Shank
    Air
    Alex Clare
    Alison Krauss And Union Station
    AlunaGeorge
    Alva Noto
    Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto
    Anouar Brahem
    Armand Van Helden
    Band Of Skulls
    Basement Jaxx
    Blind Faith
    Bobby Hutcherson
    Brave Old World
    Brian Eno
    Brigitte Bardot
    Buffy Sainte-Marie
    Byetone
    Captain Beefheart
    Carla Bley
    Carly Rae Jepsen
    CeCe Peniston
    Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Barry Altschul
    Choir Of Young Believers
    Cibelle
    Circle
    Crystal Castles
    Dave Holland
    Dave Holland Quartet
    Dave Holland Sextet
    David Byrne
    David Holland, Barre Phillips
    Death From Above 1979
    DJ Shadow
    Dr. Dog
    Dr. John
    Duck Sauce
    Egberto Gismonti
    Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong
    Ellie Goulding
    Elton John
    EMF
    Eric Clapton
    Erykah Badu
    Esbjörn Svensson Trio
    fIREHOSE
    First Aid Kit
    Florence + The Machine
    Flying Lotus
    France Gall
    Frank Bretschneider
    Frank Ocean
    Fun Boy Three
    Gabby Young and Other Animals
    Gal Costa
    Gateway
    Genix
    Gin Blossoms
    Golem!
    Grizzly Bear
    HTRK
    James Blake
    Janet Jackson
    Josephine Foster
    Kaskade
    Katy Perry
    Kenny Burrell
    Kenny Wheeler
    Keren Ann
    Klaxons
    Kylie Minogue
    Lana Del Rey
    Langhorne Slim
    Laurel Halo
    Le Butcherettes
    Les Savy Fav
    Lights
    Louis Armstrong And The All-Stars
    Low
    Luomo
    Lyle Lovett
    M83
    Madvillain
    Magazine
    Marky Mark And The Funky Bunch
    Maroon 5
    Me & You
    Michael Kiwanuka
    Michel Polnareff
    MIKA
    Minus The Bear
    Minutemen
    Moby
    Mystery Jets
    Naná Vasconcelos
    Neu!
    Now, Now
    Oingo Boingo
    OK Go
    Orbit
    Pacifika
    Paula Abdul
    Penguin Cafe Orchestra
    Pere Ubu
    Primal Scream
    Remember Shakti
    Rihanna
    Saint Etienne
    Sarah Jaffe
    Scissor Sisters
    Serge Gainsbourg
    Seu Jorge
    Sky Ferreira
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Solange
    Sonic Youth
    Sparks
    Steve Kuhn
    Steve Martin
    Stevie Wonder
    Supergrass
    Surfer Blood
    Taio Cruz
    Technotronic
    Tera Melos
    Terje Rypdal
    Terje Rypdal, Miroslav Vitous, Jack DeJohnette
    Terry Callier
    The Chemical Brothers
    The Dodos
    The Dukes Of Stratosphear
    The Klezmatics
    The Knife
    The Proclaimers
    The Rapture
    The Rolling Stones
    The Roots
    The Wailers
    The Wedding Present
    The Who
    Thee Oh Sees
    Tiga
    Tom Cochrane
    Tony McManus & Alain Genty
    Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs
    Underworld
    Uusitalo
    Van She
    Vladislav Delay - Multila
    We Were Promised Jetpacks
    White Denim
    XTC
    Yann Tiersen
    Yelle
  • edited January 2013
    51S6OLOMrAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This compilation is on Guv and might interest some people. Icelandic artists including Sigur R
  • edited January 2013
    More good hunting on older reissues:
    41VSTWoswwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    61TNgIUfh%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Burning Spear was one of the first thing I wanted after the UMG drop at the other place, never got it because of the Fraunhofer thing.

Earlier, brighternow mentioned a Kancheli disc on ECM New Classics; that one's not on Guv., but this one is:
    41sLGEpgBtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Among others...
  • edited January 2013
    Six Degrees Records is on Guvera. There's a list of their artists here, and most of it seems to be on Guvera. Some interesting things here. The album Lost in a Moment by Shrift is one I paid money for on emusic and enjoyed. Issa Bagayogo's remixed album is fun. The Real Tuesday Weld languished for a while on my SFL and never got purchased - listening to it now: quirky and enjoyable.

If anyone else knows those artists and has pointers, do speak up.

ETA, Ojos de Brujo has been recommended to me a couple of times by a colleague, as I now recall seeing the name on that list.
  • GP - Vieux Farka Toure - but I am sure you know him, and Ballake Sissoko, paricularly Chamber Muisc with Vicent Segal, are the two names that I immediately know. Others include two feamle Brazillian vocalists - Ceu and Bebel Gilberto - Bebel is my preference of the two.