Guvera

Comments

• BigD - they've been up for a few weeks at least, but I can't say how long exactly; they were there before the recent Sony drop, but so was Beyonce.

I was bummed about Powerslave too; I was going to get that first. Where should I go next? I also have Seventh Son, but like it less than Beast. Although I think my next two metal albums are going to be Nothingface (I saw it, then it disappeared, then I found it again under Nothing Face) and Ace of Spades.
  • edited February 2013
    Yippee on the fiver this AM - thanks, dd.
    @amclark - Somewhere Back In Time as a sort of best of early years is pretty close to my Iron Maiden favorites playlist, just don't dupe any you already have, and I am partial to live Maiden albums also - I find sometimes the live versions are more dynamic. G.'s got Live After Death which I like, and En Vivo, the latest, which I haven't digested yet (note - it's duplicated, the tracks run twice in the listing but the second set has a long one, When The Wild Wind Blows, that is missing from the first bunch). Edit - Sorry, got called away - Flight 666 is the soundtrack to a movie I've seen and thought was quite good. I DL'd that and Live At Donington last night and I'll give a holler when I get to listen to them (my enthusiasm for Maiden and any other metal is not something my wife shares - that and chicken pickin' country or Celtic I'm on my own). With four live albums there to choose from that's a lot of streaming.
    The two pre-Dickinson albums, Iron Maiden and Killers have some good songs on them, and besides Number and Powerslave the next best studio albums would be Piece Of Mind or Somewhere In Time for me.
  • amclark2 - You posted Method Man's debut in the NP thread yesterday, but I can't find it on Guvera. How did you search for it?

Craig
  • I think by album title? I hope it didn't disappear...
  • 51HnqOagvfL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Don't fear the sneer! I am being selective, guided by a greatest hits album (not on Gu). In search, one uppercase X and one lowercase x.
  • ECM experts: am I correct in assuming that the "Works" and "Selected Recordings" albums on ECM are just two different series of greatest hits albums and that I can ignore them if I'm collecting the various releases? Is there any difference between "Works" and "Selected Recordings"?
  • @GP - I have found most of the John Abercrombie are tagged under the wrong name, there are many others like that in the ECM catalog. Keith Jarrett seems immune, but almost everyone else is tagged by one of the sidemen. As for the Works sets, I think that they are the same thing, and that there is no diff between the original album recordings and these special collections. Maybe remastered? If so, I cannot find anything that says a particular track is a remaster.

I got the golden 5 today, but after flipping alot of tiles. Total of fifteen with the McD's spam.
  • What is the "McD's spam"?
  • Interesting: results can now be displayed as a list or tiles. Nice, dddanmar.
  • FYI: I got the celebratory 5 extra credits yesterday morning and the banner showed up again for me this morning for another 5.
  • I am getting my UK punk together - have covered the Jam, Magazine, the Buzzcocks, and Generation X. Am aware of the the big X-Ray Spex set - figuring out my strategy for Stiff Little Fingers. What am I missing?
  • You've got some post punk in there, so you are missing Gang of Four, Wire, The Slits, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc.

Craig
  • Good stuff, Craig, thanks. I should have mentioned Siouxsie, there is a wealth of stuff over there.
  • No problem Doofy. I'll try and remember if there's any more I've grabbed there.

dddanmar or anyone else - Have you seen an issue with tracks downloaded from Guvera only scrobbling on last.fm in some instances? A few albums I've grabbed (The Runaways s/t, Yeah Yeah Yeahs Fever to Tell, James Brown Live at the Apollo, a couple others) scrobble if I play them directly from iTunes on my computer, but if I play them on my iPod they don't scrobble when I plug the iPod into the computer. My iTunes still updates the number of plays, other tracks scrobble (even those from Guvera), but these ones don't. It's really weird.

Craig
  • ^^^James Brown "Live at the Apollo" reminds me I have been meaning to mention this one:
    51Fj-TapR0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Just a great live recording. The audience responses are half the fun.
  • Am I missing something on Siouxsie & The Banshees? I did a search on Guvera recently, because I have literally nothing of theirs on CD or download, and I only found one track on Guvera.
  • Muggsy, it looks like you need to look for "And The" rather than "& The"
  • Spell out the 'and' and most of the discography (if not all) pops up. That's a situation where I usually just type 'siouxie' and then the search results pop up and you can see the spelling issues.

Craig
  • @Mugs - Search it like this - Siouxsie And The Banshees - and you'll get a ton of stuff.
  • @Doofy for your UK punk I would suggest some 999 - Guv has their S/T as well as "Separates" from my quick search.
  • edited February 2013
    @Doofy: The Ruts, Joe Strummer's first band the 101er's, the Damned, Sham 69. How 'bout Australia: The Saints?
  • "What is the "McD's spam"?" - McDonald's facebook posts.

The new dload option is wonderful....!
  • Great suggestions - I'd seen that 101ers disc, but forgotten about it.

61rKv0ZoaaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    I think I can get the first 2 discs of this, thanks to the "gold" credits! (The 3rd disc is a later live recording.) To those not familiar with this band, at least check out "Alternative Ulster."
  • The new dload option is wonderful....!
    What am I missing?
  • edited February 2013
    Aah, thanks Craig and Rudie. Yes, I'm a dumbass.

Any suggestions for where to start with Siouxsie?
  • My favorite Siouxsie album is Kaleidoscope (first I bought), then a toss up between Hyaena and Tinderbox, leaning toward Hyaena because of their version of "Dear Prudence."
  • I agree with Kaleidoscope. I also like JuJu if that is in Guvera. And you can't go wrong if there is a singles collection.
  • I think there are two singles collections. I have no objection to going that route if it provides the most bang for the credits.
  • New Download Option = Tracks not tiles. Little download triangles. Maybe this is not new to others....
  • The 500K bonus worked again this morning....