Guvera

Comments

• edited March 2013
    51Gi0xwGrML._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Just wandered upon this box set at Guv - Stitt's Bits - Amazon listing here - which looks to be a potential tasty project. I need to cross reference against the collection some before biting.

Picked up this Bud Powell, of whom G.s got a plenty, this morning-
    51mu03FejzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Umm. G.s got the whole of this morsel as well -
    51xNWI-SH6L._SL500_AA300__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg
  • edited March 2013
    41hvamBWaLL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

w/ John Abercrombie & Brad Mehldau. Apologies if this was mentioned in previous Abercrombie discussions! "The Water Is Wide," from the same sessions--the last by drummer Billy Higgins?--is here too.
  • edited March 2013
    G. has all 10, including the 7 Album Only, tracks of this release -
    51ma2TScrRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • @dddanmar,

Could you look at the scroll in list mode? I'm not able to get all the way down to the bottom of the results.

Thanks
  • edited March 2013
    Here are the albums from Spin's anachronistic best alternative albums of the 1960s that are on Guvera. Check to see if they are complete.

Cromagnon: Orgasm
    Pearls Before Swine: One Nation Underground (on Complete ESP)
    Os Mutantes: S/T
    Joe Cuba: Wanted Dead Or Alive (under title Bang Bang Push Push, so check the tracks)
    Kim Fowley, Outrageous
    Cecil Taylor, Unit Structures (not sure if all tracks are present)
    Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band , Gorilla
    Brigitte Bardot et Serge Gainsbourg, Bonnie and Clyde (part of Int
  • Wow - thanks for doing the leg work on that list BT! I went to the Spin site hoping I could look at the whole list, but the way they present it is awful - you only get one album per page, and even with that I was finding I had to refresh almost every page to get the narrative.
  • Memo to self - check G. for this Joe Pass album - Blues Dues from OJC. This archaic thing I sit at here at work can't even open Guvera.
  • It's there BigD.

Craig
  • 8 of 9 tracks, of course.
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks, guys - 8 out of 9 ain't bad. While searching for the missing Blues In "G", I clicked on some other Blues, one of which led me to this - Recorded Live by Ten Years After, of which G. has all the tracks - I'll have to get back to it when the day comes.
    51EePd-WLYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    They only have 9 of the 12 tracks from this one:
    61mALfB4VkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    In the mean while, back to Joe Pass......
  • BigD, are you familiar with this Lee Konitz album?
  • edited April 2013
    @BT - no, I wasn't. Like the samples, thank you.
    And how you liking Boozoo? I don't get how you get Down Home On Dog Hill with no Dog Hill though - that's one of my favorite songs, yeah you're right.
  • 61uOrNsJ3iL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Happened across this on Guvera. I have it already from way back; one worth checking out if you like mellow soundscapes. Allmusic says:
    On Low Pressure, Spaceheads Andy Diagram and Richard Harrison bridge the gap between jazz and electronica with their characteristic trumpet loops, gurgling synthesized sounds, and metallic beats. Songs like the title track use a lazy, laid-back groove, part Miles Davis, part Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works, to create an image of uneasy times. Low Pressure is future noir -- music for sci-fi film soundtracks of tomorrow. "On a Clear Day," the would-be chase scene, relies on beats charging over a foreboding low end, "The Lugano Affair" is mystery and danger shrouded in intrigue, and the astounding sparkle of "Astro Temple" could make it what Hitchcock called "the McGuffin." Spaceheads masterfully connect the '70s, nu bop, and electronica for an interstellar mix that, while conjuring some of the same emotions as trip-hop, never becomes trapped by genre.
  • Down to 2 credits today, the Facebook credit is gone.
  • I did get the McD's FB credit today, but I think there was only one regular. Hard to remember since I click those tiles about 50 times....
  • kezkez
    edited April 2013
    Yesterday (Sunday), I received 2 credits. Today, only 1 credit no matter how many times I click on the ads. Guess that's what others are experiencing?
  • edited April 2013
    Same here. A part of me is actually kind of relieved. I've been realizing again after the months of Guvera free music deluge that a big part of my soul actually enjoys the process of seeking out and winnowing down to a smaller number of albums that I really want to have more than the process of trying to listen through a huge pile of stuff that all arrived at once.
    I'm glad for all the new things I've found through Guvera, but I am looking forward to a spell of getting to know them without looking so much for more.
  • I admit I'm a doubter for I've been expecting the service to finally close up shop for several months, always surprised I'm still clicking adverts. Glad to see some resiliency, even if it does fold proper. On the safe side, I did burn up my fifty remaining credits today. I admit I have a phobia of lost credits.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm not sure now whether to burn my credits (50 or so) or hang on to them in case I suddenly discover something I like/want. I've downloaded so many things since Christmas there's nothing on my wishlist that I know is on Guvera, so I've reached the stage of looking for things I might maybe like. Going down to one a day suddenly makes the remaining credits feel more valuable, like I want to spend them on something worthwhile...all irrational, I know. Certainly doesn't seem a healthy sign that since the early splurge there don't seem to be any new advertisers lining up.
  • Ditto. A sensible strategy with no downside, aside from not amassing a horde of credits.
  • Yeah, I'm up around 200 credits. I'll spend them if the service is around long enough, but if not? They were free, so no loss.

I have been concerned not just by the decrease in credits, but also that dddanmar seems to have disappeared.

Craig
  • Sheesh, that should be hoard of credits, not horde. And I call myself an editor.

Ddditto on the dddanmar concern. Meanwhile, spending my little horde on X-Ray Spex, Wire, and some of the other punkish things mentioned a couple pages ago.
  • Ddditto on the dddanmar concern
    It seems there has been no effort to fix the search results.
  • Looks like zero for me today.
  • Zero as well - zilch, nada.
  • The only credits I got from today and yesterday were the 2 credits from the McD's facebook/spam link. I noticed the following response on their facebook page from 1-April : "...we’re working on new exciting ways for you to earn downloads, stay tuned!".

I don't think Guv is going away at the moment just getting ready to evolve/change a bit.
  • I read that in Australia, there is a plan for Guvera to offer a paid streaming service. Nothing about what might happen in US.
  • I know what is happening. I have jinxed a good thing. I procrastinated checking out Guvera for over a year and only recently got on board. This is so typical - it seems I have an uncanny ability to choose the timing of my participation in any good thing to coincide precisely with the time the benefits of doing so decrease.

So, you see, it is all my fault... (well, I realize not really, but it 'does' seem so!).
  • Only the dos from McDonald's today.
  • @jordanbeck, where is McDonald's? I don't see anything like that on the website.