Guvera

Comments

• Try going here: https://www.guvera.com/brands?alias=McDonalds
    This was set up a while back, and it is in Spanish, but works.
  • Thanks, jordanbeck. That's interesting - had no idea about that. (Repeated clicks on the McDonald's ads still didn't give me any downloads, though.)
  • Kez, do you sign in via Facebook? Have you set to public posting?
  • @BT, no, I don't even have a Facebook account. Maybe that's why the McD's thing doesn't work for me.
  • The McDonalds only works if you like it on Facebook. No reason not to start a Facebook account just for this though...
  • Looking more like this should be moved to the RIP thread? Curious though if people have counted up their free albums. I never spammed FB (unless you count liking Guvera), but still walked away with well over 200 albums. Quite incredible to have Blue Note and ECM access like that and will enjoy for years to come.

Still, I am curious for those of you that clicked on McDoo.
  • edited April 2013
    @Sort, checking back, looks like I am just shy of 280 albums. Used McDonalds etc at first for a short while, until I got increasingly uncomfortable with it and then realized that restricting the visibility of things on my facebook page did not affect them being broadcast on the general timeline; so I repented and stopped using those ads. Bigger factor was having two family members with accounts, the other of whom tended to say "Oh. I don't have time to search for stuff, you use the credits" :-).

As you said, I'll be plumbing this for quite some time to come. As I've said before, 2012 was the year I decided to get to know jazz better, and I am guessing that maybe two thirds to three quarters of those albums are jazz albums, so it has turned into a rather precipitous jazz collection that I now need to digest some more.
  • Bigger factor was having two family members with accounts, the other of whom tended to say "Oh. I don't have time to search for stuff, you use the credits" :-).
    There were times when the wife and I collaborated on our Guvera downloads, but often she just passed them to me. Seldom did it make a difference, except when I did my little Hip Hop and New Age experiments.

Since October, I've put together several "collections" of music. I don't have much of an urge to count them now (there on several different computers). Recently, it's been Prestige/Concord blues (particularly folk blues from the 50s and 60s), ECM, Celtic and English folk on Topic and Green Linnet, lots of Rounder, Brazilian Tropicalia and Jazz, contemporary French chanson, Cajun and New Orleans music.
  • In the first incarnation of Guvera, I downloaded virtually every Bluenote they had at the time. Since they came back, I have focused on ECM, and have many gigabytes of Jazz and Classical (Keith Jarrett alone is more that 4GB!) I have no complaints about the service, I have a massive legal collection of great music which will serve me for years to come. The search is brutal, the tags are horrible, but with a little time and effort great things can be achieved.

As for the McD spamming....I have mastered removing them from FB in about 4 seconds. I take it as a daily challenge to my manual dexterity.
  • edited April 2013
    @Plong42, I was doing the same thing at first, thinking maybe I was making McDonalds support musicians without spamming. My understanding is though that even when you remove/restrict them on your page they still appear to other people in the news feed. (Which may be why this strategy makes sense to Guvera/McDonalds even though you can remove the posts from your own page right away). OTOH, it does say that deleting from your own timeline deletes from your friends timelines, but I think that's different from the newsfeed. I don't pretend to completely understand what facebook is doing with what I post. Which is why I post little.
  • I was deleting from timeline, yes. They no longer appear there after I delete them.
  • I have this set to share with 'Me Only' - If that doesn't stop the McD's stuff from appearing on other people's timelines, no one has complained!

That also stops my Guvera plays from appearing on FB, which is unfortunate. Always thought Guv links should be more shareable.
  • I got new/different approval requests when I logged into Guvera with facebook this evening. Separate popups for "Guvera would like to access your news feed" and "Guvera would like to post to your friends on your behalf". Can't remember what I usually get, except that it's usually just one prompt and I can skip it.
  • I have been working diligently through the ECM catalog and managed to whittle by credits down to about 60....here are a few gems that might have been overlooked:

Marion Brown - Afternoon Of A Georgia Faun, 2 long tracks. Brian Olewnick calls it a four-start album, "Afternoon of a Georgia Faun is a lovely, inspired album, a key work in Marion Brown's oeuvre and a recording that belongs in any collection of contemporary jazz"

Julian Priester Pepo Mtoto - Love, Love, two long tracks. Scott Yanow said "The two lengthy improvisations are mostly on one-chord repetitive rhythmic vamps stated by the bass, featuring sound explorations and plenty of electronics. Only on the last half of the second medley does Priester himself emerge a bit from the electronic sounds. One is reminded of Bitches Brew, since that is an obvious influence, but also Hancock's group and Weather Report. The music develops slowly, but listeners with patience will enjoy the blending of the many different voices in this unusual musical stew"

Collin Walcott - Cloud Dance and Grazing Dreams
  • Noticed this post on Guvera's facebook page:

"Friday means FREE STUFF. Get your Guvera out & score yourself a pair of Guvera headphones. Head over & follow @guvera on Instagram. Screenshot what you’re listening to & tag #nowplaying & #guvera
    Everyone who posts gets their hands on a pair. Spread the word!"

Guess they're still giving free downloads now and then but are requiring more interaction than what they have in the past.
  • edited April 2013
    Discouraged as I am by recent events there, it still is nice to have somewhere to stream in full tracks from albums that I am deeply suspicious of yet curious about some songs - do I want this track just because Jeff Beck is on it? Sadly it seems the answer for "The Hobo" is going to be no, but it beats spending $0.49 to come to that conclusion after the fact. G.'s got all four volumes of this modern collection of Brit rockers abusing blues tunes - there might be a couple worth finding I hope.
    600x600.jpg

EDIT - Well, I admit I didn't listen to all of all 4 volumes, but didn't find jack, even though I found Jack Bruce. Strange and sad for someone who loved the original Brit Blues phenomenon.
  • Suddenly Guvera will no longer allow me to sign in via facebook without me allowing it to post to my friends on my behalf. Not cool.
  • You can revoke its rights, I think.
    Not getting any credits, here. But I'm using up some downloads!
  • @Katrina, yes you can, it's just yet more steps...
  • Even though the Guvera freebies stopped, I've still been geting my daily two credits from McDonalds. The last two days, however, I click through the McDonalds link nad everything looks/acts normal, but I don't get the two credits added to my total (even though it posts to Facebook). Anyone else having as different experience and getting the credits? I had been holding out hope, but perhaps this is truly the end.
  • edited April 2013
    I was able to get the credits.

Did anyone see/do the Instagram thing that kez described?
  • I got the McD credits today, same as it ever was.
  • Rudie, McD credits changed so that if you don't give them rights to do stuff with your account, they won't give you credit; that happened to me a couple weeks ago, I would post and get no credits; once I gave them rights, I got credits.
  • Thanks @amc (and all who weighred in). I had the settings correctly previously in facebook (and think I still do), but I just selected "public" on the Guvera McDonalds popup before posting and that did the trick.
  • Doesn't seem to be even any McD credits today.
  • I got 'em - But then I haven't seen the issues reported above. Suspect I might when I get logged out and have to log in again. The only difference from before is that I have to change to "Only Me" each time.

I suspect we will soon find that they are just streaming. The DLs always seemed a tough sell to advertisers
  • I was able to compartir and get 2 credits.
  • I noticed that the "Nashville Cast" songs (from the ABC show Nashville, it's okay, you can judge me...) got updated in the last couple of days-- some new songs that weren't there before. Can't seem to find anything else new... anyone else find anything new?
  • No McD credits for me today (got 2 yesterday at this time).

@matthewsalibi - I noticed a handlful of album changes in my Playlist. One that had disappeared a couple months back finally reappeared (I don't remember the album name, it was the one by Coldplay that has the song "Clocks" on it, FWIW). Two others that disappeared a while back remain disappeared. However, a number that used to be available are now disappeared. What I did notice is that among that last group was volumes 1, 3 and 4 of "The Complete UK Upsetter Singles". Weirdly enough Volume 2 remained/remains available. Things there are in a flux.
  • I also got the McD credits yesterday but not today.

*sad face*