I love twitter

Comments

• edited March 2013
    That Stealth Mountain favorites list is awesome. Gracias. Perhaps my favorite...

DID I JUST FREAKING GET MY GRAMMAR CORRECTED BY A DAMN MOUNTAIN?
  • I have one too: @choiceweb0pen0

I mostly re/tweet about creative writing, literary journal, and small press with some retweeting of some comedians with twitter accounts.
  • @thomslattery - but don't expect anything worthwhile from me.
  • I'm @BirdIsTheWorm.

I give orders. You will follow them. #Obey
  • @DavidSmithGR - mostly MiG-related tweets and tweets to get free credit in emusic promotions.
  • The Stealth mountain is funny. I somewhere have a link to people on there who don't know how to spell cologne or maybe they just love to talk about their colons?
  • edited March 2013
    (deleted)
  • I recommend @pentametron

Heard about it on NPR not too long ago, but it uses some kind of computer program to find tweets written in iambic pentameter/blank verse. Many often seem to have end rhyme as well. And when it finds two, it retweets them. Interesting to see what it finds and how the two tweets play off of each other.
  • I won't give mine - I only use it if emusic wants to give me something free! Seriously though I know I ought to get into using sites like Twitter, Facebook etc more but Mrs G reckons I spend too long on the computer/ipad already with emusers!!
  • Some hoops to jump through (and purchase required), but you can get some eMu credits on Record Store Day: http://www.emusic.com/17dots/2013/04/12/get-emusic-credit-for-supporting-record-store-day/
  • "The offer is open to eMusic music subscribers in the US, UK EU and CA"

Well screw you too.
  • edited April 2013
    @ NankerP:
    2_by_albertojulian-d5mn9dh.gif ! ! !
  • Looks like Twitter is sort of getting into playing music at least via some familiar names.
  • edited April 2013
    So did anyone else do that emusic promotion thing? I tweeted them my pic but have heard nothing back yet. I am assuming it's because it's the weekend and they will contact people about usernames for adding credit on Monday...

Had fun at Record Day. I am not set up for vinyl, and the specials are generally no stuff I'd buy anyway. But Vertigo Records was one big party, with a rather good (young, local) live band and hardly enough space to wriggle past people to the record bins. Picked up a couple of CDs of things I already had on MP3 that I'd been wanting to upgrade, and a used Oscar Peterson/Count Basie CD that is very enjoyable. A nice little afternoon outing.
  • Record Store Day was a little rough for me, but I scored some great vinyl. I forgot about that promotion, but I probably would have been a little too embarrassed to post my receipt and the grand total on Twitter.
  • I was in the hood but couldn't get near the place - Went to Gene's Sausage Shop instead.

20111130-181614-genes-sausage-shop-4.jpg
  • Oh, dude, does that sign say Pretzel Sandwiches? I'm officially jealous.
  • I especially recommend the prosciutto and brie.
  • Okay, so I only recently started using Twitter to, you know, tweet. So I'm still getting used to this whole having followers thing, but I just got what seems to me like a REALLY weird follower. The official account of the City of Minneapolis Election and Voter Services now follows me, and I have absolutely no idea why.

Is it normal to have odd followers like this?

Who is your oddest follower?

Craig
  • @Caf

I wasn't able to find your twitter profile, but I'm betting it has the word Minneapolis or some other sort of MN designation in it. Some of these twitter accounts, whether it be a municipal thing or some kind of promotional twitter account for a local business, will search twitter for certain keywords in their twitter profile. Same thing for certain keywords in tweets. I've got several Kentucky based companies & municipal units following me based on my profile and occasional tweets.

I can quite remember exactly what the twitter account was, but I believe I made a snarky tweet once comparing HBO's The Newsroom to Ally McBeal, and almost immediately was followed by an Ally McBeal fan club twitter account. I don't know if they're still following me. Probably not. My guess is that the same type of person who would utilize the keyword auto-follow functionality would also utilize a twitter clean-up application that does things like un-follow people who aren't following them back. And, as you might imagine, I never did reciprocate the Ally McBeal fan club Follow.

That may have been the weirdest follower I've gotten (non-spammer category). Hard to remember some of them over time.

I remember feeling, well, honored, I guess (not sure if that's the word, but something like that) when Charlie Haden started following me. I mean, I've got plenty of big time musicians following me, but something about Haden's follow struck me as pretty awesome.
  • edited June 2013
    Illinois Tea Party just started following me, based on an apparently misinterpreted political tweet a couple weeks ago. Boy, are they barking up the wrong tree. A couple jazz tweets should send them on their way.

Dave Alvin is among my followers, as I was one of the first people to follow him!
  • Well, until an hour ago or so, I had nothing in my profile. I'll have to give some consideration to any key words that may have been in my tweets.

I'm following Bird is the Word, so I'm sad you can't find me.

I've seen your tweets Doofy, not sure how a Tea Party would ever decide to follow you!

Craig
  • [Our junior senator, a few weeks after defying his party to support gay marriage, turned around and opposed immigration reform. In a response to a news story, I commented on the political WTF-ness of such a strategy, which I think must have gotten interpreted the opposite of intended.]
  • I have a bunch of followers that are mysteries, perhaps the oddest are "Laundry Denier" - was that one of Jonah's alter egos? - and Large Fruitduck.
  • @GP - Laundry Denier is me. It was a response to the Hysterical Laundry twitter account.

@Caf - I see you now. I originally searched on cafreema (for some reason) instead of your real name. I see your location being a big target for some of those auto-followers (unless you just added that).
  • I did just add it. Figured if I was actually going to use it, I should do it right.

Craig
  • edited June 2013
    I find that about 2/3's of my followers are non-people (organizations hoping for more followers) or aspiring writers. Most connect via my blog, hoping to drum up some traffic for their own blog.

@Plong42
  • Hi Craig,
    I started following you the other day (under my Albert E. Trapezoid alter-ego). I found you when your name/account popped up in my "who to follow" box and I recognized your "photo." I often check those recommendations and decide if the recommendations are someone I want to follow, but perhaps some (like CIty of Minneapolis..etc.) just follow anyone who is recommended?
  • Ah, that's you Rudie! Based on your twitter and blog I figured it had to be someone I had some connection with, but wasn't able to figure it out.

Does my 'picture' still show up here? I can never see it for some reason.

Craig