emusers' standard lecture on good free stuff

Comments

• Thanks Plong for the Bruce Hornsby link, wonderful stuff
  • SRbbcFrs.jpg
    Sun Ra Arkestra - London 2014 . BBC Session live at the Livingston Studios, London, UK; June 18, 2014. Broadcast June 30, 2014. Excellent radio broadcast.
  • - A lovely single from the Adult Swing Singles:
    artworks-000084254074-ilv7yy-t500x500.jpg?e76cf77
  • Prestige Records is 65 this year. They are celebrating with a contest and a free compilation download from he archives. They are working with Down Beat Magazine. Worth checking out, even if you have most of the tunes.
  • Thanks Bremble. Looking at the files, I think I already have all but 2 or 3 of these! But I am glad to have any or all. As I recall, some Prestige/OJC titles were dropped during a distributor change (or something) a few years ago. Maybe some will be reissued around the anniversary....
  • This is on the Archive and from 2008, so maybe it has been posted before . . .
    nineinchnails_ghosts_I_IV.jpg
  • edited August 2014
    1.200.jpg

08 Trio - Live in Studio

Doesn't push any envelopes, but an enjoyable and well recorded (I think...I was listening to it on a plane) piano trio album for free at Jamendo.
  • (Double Post): Sir Richard Bishop's solo albums all available free at http://deliradio.com/sir-richard-bishop - till 9/1 only!
  • Intriguing, thanks ac2. Any thoughts on where to start? I mean, besides "While My Guitar Violently Bleeds," of course.
  • I've always been curious but never gotten anything by him before; I started at the beginning with Salvador Kali. I remember some good reviews of Violently Bleeds too...
  • Follow-up project should be, "Nobody's Got Anything to Hide, Including Me and My Monkey"
  • Currently Free @ Google Play - Katy Perry - PRISM
  • a1289522334_2.jpg

Available as NYOP on Bandcamp
  • Just spotted that the free download from AVRO of a individual work from The Sunday Lunchtime Concert has restarted - current download is Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto.

There is also the podcast, from which the weekly downloads are taken, which has about 2 hours of music.
  • edited September 2014
    a3143493142_2.jpg

The latest and final curated Future Sequence compilation is out, Sequence 8.
    Dag Rosenquist, Radere, Petrels, and a bunch of new names (one of them, Kevin Verwijmeren, had a track I liked quite a bit on Sequence 7). Free at Bandcamp.
  • widget_background_Sampler_Cover-small.jpg

Don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere. An interesting and varied selection.
  • edited October 2014
    Danish noise / drone of the finest quality:
    Black+Rabbit.jpg
    A dark and strangely doom like album by the two brothers in W
  • This may have been mentioned before, but Noisetrade has a free EP from Punch Brother Chris Eldridge w/ jazz guitar phenom Julian Lage. I'm angling to see these guys open for Kenny Barron/Dave Holland in a few weeks.

square1.jpg
  • edited October 2014
    Reposting from NP thread:
    201209-stillsfmoma.png
    Various Artists: Disquiet Junto Project 0036: Still Life
    Step 1. Please select part of this MP3 of J.S. Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto No. 2, II. Andante: http://goo.gl/XqBvb

Step 2. Then transform that sample, through any methods you desire, into something that you feel meets the definition of “abstract expressionism” provided by the Clyfford Still Museum: “marked by abstract forms, expressive brushwork, and monumental scale.”
  • edited October 2014
    I was pleased to have identified Still's work before reading the description (though, admittedly, I mentally misspelled his name "Styll" for an unsurprising reason).
  • a1867209270_2.jpg
    Dream Twice - Collect Dew
    Grainy short drone pieces, free download, EP-length. Some nice moments here, well textured.
  • edited October 2014
    Through Halloween, a free song by The Residents featuring Snakefinger.
  • Thanks Rudie . . . Also free:
    a3806706495_2.jpg
  • edited February 2015
    Hey ! look what I found:

The+Eye+kukl1.jpg
    - A punk band from Iceland with a 19 years old Björk Guðmundsdóttir in front.

- A really historical album from 1984, but I wonder if the uploader has got a permission from the One Little Indian label (Björk's label)
    KUKL++live.jpg
  • edited April 2017
    a1885408943_2.jpg

Monty Adkins - Residual Forms

Very nice drone/piano piece.
  • a1857402375_2.jpg

Boxed Vol. 2 - free compilation of "instrumental grime". Nice!
  • The Eric Church album The Outsiders that is popping up on some best of lists is free at Google Play this week.

I haven't heard it, but it's apparently outlaw country that hipsters can like.

Craig