Post your inside tips and mispriced box sets right here

Comments

• Mg 50 - Peace  Fire album cover
    You can hear everything that went on at Mats' 50th birthday party for a single-disc price (at the moment). Tons of info at The Free Jazz Collective
  • edited July 2016
    Shostakovich All Symphonies album cover

Shostakovich: All Symphonies, 652 minutes, $6.49. Check out the Melodia label for other multi-disc "deals" such as Shostakovich & Kondrashin: Complete Symphonies, 721 minutes, $6.49
  • It's probably strange that after being here for 2 years as of this month, I've still haven't become an emusic member - not because of anything that eMusic has or hasn't done, but mostly because I have sooooo much music to keep track of now that it's always seemed to be an additional burden rather than resource. Anyway, I'm reconsidering and checking out the member plans this weekend. My question: So, does the Shostakovich/Kondrashin above count as a 68 track download and that means that you've pretty much used up most of your monthly plan with a box-set such as that even if you sign up as an eMusic "Fan" (the most expensive option)?

Also, I'm open to hearing suggestions from eMusic long-timers about how they go about their subscriptions. I was thinking of the "Basic" plan to start, but this means that those Shostakovich sets would be off-limits, no? yes? 
  • @rostasi, if you get yourself $6.49 worth of credits, you can DL that album.  (In fact, for $9.99, you can buy it w/o being a member.) Credits were counted as tracks/songs in the old days, but it's all in funds these days. 

I have a grandfathered 'Basic' plan that gets me a few extra bucks per month. These days, with regular 2-for-1 booster pack sales, signing for one of the lowest-priced plans is probably a good strategy.
  • OK, but doesn't "Basic" means that I get 24 tunes/month to dl, and anything above that is the higher price? Which means that I could never get that box set for $6.49 price unless I signed up for the most expensive plan doesn't it? or am I reading this wrong.
  • In the US, it's based on dollars, not tracks.  So if an album is listed at $6.49, you get the entire album for that price, whether it's 6 or 206 tracks.  Best wishes
  • edited July 2016
    OK, so these restrictions on downloads don't mean anything in the US?
    So you can download as much as you want? I can download hundreds a month even on the Basic plan? Or is it that downloading an album - no matter its size - is considered only ONE download.

• Those aren't restrictions - They are examples of how much you'll be able to afford. Cheapest songs are 0.49...thus you'll be able to get 'up to 24' for your 11.99.

A 6.49 album could be one track or, in the case above, 62! You like those Shostakovitch recordings?

• Aaaaah, OK, so they are just examples - OK, got it.
    I have a lot of Shostakovich in box sets already.
    Honestly, this whole idea started this afternoon
    by "accidentally" buying a VISA debit card at my local
    store. How? Short story version: The local grocery store
    has a deal on "points" towards your auto fuel when you
    buy pre-paid gift cards for restaurants and some other things,
    but they don't for standard pre-paid debit cards
    (even tho both kinds are featured in the gigantic display -
    you have to read the fine print). Anyway, I found myself with
    a debit card that I would not have normally bought and
    came home to see these box sets, etc and thought that
    I'd get with eMusic for the first time. Anyway, there are deals
    pretty often on mis-priced things that look good,
    so, I thought, why not become involved, eh?
  • There are still many great deals at emusic, despite all its warts. The main downside of emusic is the one you already named - having too much music!
  • and I will add that most of the new stuff that is added is at 320 bps - most of the older stuff is lower or variable.
  • I agree with Doofy. They are still running the 2 for 1 Booster sale right now so you can buy a $50 dollar pack and they will match it. These downloads have a 90 day expiry date and these sales come up frequently. I'm not sure how many you can buy at one time but an extra 50 sure come in handy. We're still on a buy the track basis here in Canada so every track is 49 cents. We don't get to take advantage of of any of the box set sales but since most of the albums I download are under 6 tracks, I'm not complaining. If you join emusic to take advantage of the box sets you'll do great, but 1 track albums could cost you $6 (I don't really know, I can't see the US price).
  • edited August 2016
    Recently, the best strategy seems to be to start the lowest priced tier of membership and then take advantage of the 2 for 1 booster sales (which happen every other month). 

If you're into classical, you might want to investigate the low-cost albums at Amazon. The Bach Guild has some incredible deals -- and the recordings are generally praised. 
    https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n:163856011,k:bach+guild,p_n_feature_browse-bin:625150011&keywords=bach+guild&ie=UTF8&qid=1470236819

There are math issues to worry about. Some albums are priced at 5.99 or 6.49 (regardless of how many tracks it has). Other albums are priced at 49 cents per track. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to buy individual tracks but just buy the whole album. You should spend most of your money on the 5.99/6.49 albums, and then zero out your balance with the 49 cent tracks. 

I have been putting my membership on hold for a few months to reduce the annual membership "fee" but then maxxing out on booster credits when I am subscribed again. 

I have the Kondrashin collection. It's great. 
  • American Yodeling, $11.98, 99 tracks, 280 minutes of listening enjoyment (or in my case, suffering).
  • edited August 2016
     - Personally I prefer:

:)
  • edited August 2016
    Quicksilver Messenger Service, Anthology Box 1966-1970, studio outtakes, etc. $4.40 for 280 minutes. 

Edit: What a strange label....Industrial Music for Bondage Balls? The "Best of Wang Chung"? (mercifully, only three songs). The Occult Box, 343 minutes of what I assume is occult dance party music.  
  • Brighternow, that was quite, uh, interesting. But with much less yodeling than I anticipated.
  • edited August 2016
    dell said:
    Brighternow, that was quite, uh, interesting. But with much less yodeling than I anticipated.
    Uh, yeah. Theres just one track on this album with yodeling  . . .
     "Like Some Kous-Kous Western"

Excuses for interrupting the mispriced thread, I just couldn't resist. . .
  • The label Corona Classics has 112 full-length classical albums priced at $1.70 each. Mostly the usual suspects. 
  • Another winner from the Numero Group. Four discs, 80 songs, 269 minutes, $6.99. Raucous Australian post-punk from the Scientists.

http://www.emusic.com/album/scientists/a-place-called-bad/16856450/

Just got a rave review on AMG:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/a-place-called-bad-mw0002964107

• So I don't get around to 7digital much anymore but as I was poking around wondering if they had anything new from Rockbeat Records I found The Wrecking Crew, and as I recently watched a documentary on that era I think I'm going to have to go for this.  Four discs, $10.49.  $12.49 for FLAC.   Other collections still recommended would be Surf Age Nuggets, and the ginchy Spanish box Los Nuggetz.https://us.7digital.com/artist/various-artists/release/the-wrecking-crew-4672858
  • edited October 2016

ONLY ONE AVAILABLE

I just ordered this for $39 and change from ebay. The seller has one more available. 30 CD box set from harmonia mundi of sacred music, some excellent artists, complete works. Free shipping. For comparison, this is currently $81 on Amazon. Here's the offer.

A quintessential selection of the best western sacred music through the ages and continents that will please one and all, from an inquisitive novice to the discerning connoisseur. 90 complete works of essential repertoire [on 30 CDs]. Harmonia Mundi offers you the finest selection of 111 cornerstone works of western sacred music. From the earliest Christian chants to Bernstein's mass, from the gems of the Baroque to beloved Lutheran hymns, this vital collection has been created by today's finest artists at the peak of their talents. harmonia mundi is offering it in this extremely Limited Box Edition. 

• This set of Grieg's complete piano music, 460 minutes, is $6.49 at emusic US and I have read very positive reviews at classical sites of some of the individual disks that make it up.
  • This set of Grieg's complete piano music, 460 minutes, is $6.49 at emusic US and I have read very positive reviews at classical sites of some of the individual disks that make it up.
    A snip at £81.48 over here in Poundland ;-) Must be somet
    hing to do with Grieg-it.
  • djh said:
    This set of Grieg's complete piano music, 460 minutes, is $6.49 at emusic US and I have read very positive reviews at classical sites of some of the individual disks that make it up.
    But, a more reasonable price over at amazon.co.uk - £7.99
  • PaulR said:
    djh said:
    This set of Grieg's complete piano music, 460 minutes, is $6.49 at emusic US and I have read very positive reviews at classical sites of some of the individual disks that make it up.
    Thanks Paul, I should lay off that wind-up I realise. I went and bought the cds. Can anyone chip in with what the bit rate is on Amazon rips? Last time I checked it was VBR but that covers a multitude if sins when it comes to classical piano. Thanks to GP for the heads up.
  • edited October 2016
    It seems I failed to also mention this one:
    Grieg The Greatest Orchestral Works

Amazon US - $7.99
    Amazon UK - GBP7.49

63 tracks. Download only, (splits into about 7 CDs' worth). Again includes some well-reviewed recordings, in fact it was a very positive review of Ruud's recording of Peer Gynt that started me down this trail.
  • At current post Brexit exchange rates that is very good. Greig is one of the few classical composers I've listened to to any extent in the past, so I will investigate further, thanks GP.
  • djh said:
    PaulR said:
    djh said:
    Thanks Paul, I should lay off that wind-up I realise. I went and bought the cds. Can anyone chip in with what the bit rate is on Amazon rips? Last time I checked it was VBR but that covers a multitude if sins when it comes to classical piano. Thanks to GP for the heads up.
    And thanks to GP and PaulR a box set of 6" shiny silver things arrived yesterday insuring a piano focused weekend. Thanks chaps.
  • I've been really enjoying that Grieg piano set. Did not know much about his piano music, but it's rather pleasant.