The greatest YouTube clip you'll see this week.

Comments

• edited March 2019
    This is worth checking out - Special "J Dilla's Donuts" tribute show in Chicago last month on this blog: http://funkit.virose.net/?p=5402 First of 3 videos below. Makaya McCraven was a "guest star," which in this case meant he was behind the drum kit from start to finish. Knowing I'm a Makaya fan, my brother-in-law got me tickets for Xmas. Wasn't sure about it, as I'm not much of a hip-hopper and knew nothing about J Dilla. I was a solid 25 years older than the average audience member.

Turned out to be a fantastic show. Big band including singers, horns, and strings played full & soulful arrangements of the album tunes in sequence. (All 30 of 'em...most no more than a minute or two on the original album.) I enjoyed this show a lot, and helped me understand where younger jazz guys like Makaya are coming from, who grew up in a hip-hop world. There are links to FLAC and mp3 files too, but I'm afraid to download them.

https://youtu.be/Lphw3IwlhSA
  • edited June 2019

Justin Wright - Drone I: Meditation
  • edited September 2019
    Homer Flynn has always been associated with The Residents as an owner of The Cryptic Corporation, but not much is publicly known about him. He set out to get to know him a little bit and his approach to creativity.
    - From 2016

• Big City Orchestra at the 15th Annual Outsound New Music Summit
  • A group of Siberian percussionists have become an internet hit with an exhibition of ice drumming on frozen Lake Baikal. In minus 20C, they found by pure chance that the one metre thick ice has a distinctive and haunting rhythm all of its own, reported the Siberian Times.

• Wayne Siegel - Solkreds: a permanent sound installation at Dodekalitten
    Sokreds (Sun Circle) is a permanent, site-specific sound installation created for the monument Dodekalitten at Kragenæs on the Danish island of Lolland. When completed, some time around the year 2025, the monument will consist of 12 megaliths carved out of solid granite by the Danish sculptor Thomas Kadziola. They stand on a hill overlooking the sea in a circle 30 meters in diameter, 7-9 meters tall, and weighing up to 50 tons each. There will be 12 permanent loudspeakers and two subwoofers hidden beneath granite sitting stones. For now there are 10 megaliths, 5 of which have been sculpted. . .
    - It is actually very close to where I live. . . And no, I haven't seen it yet.
  • This makes me happy...

• edited March 2020

Den Sorte Skole - Roskilde Festival 2017

• The Residents - Bad Day On The Midway
  • edited April 2020

Tony Levin - On The Drums

• edited May 2020
    - Sorry . . . ;)
  • That's remarkable. Takes me back. (Not that I ever managed to produce actual music...)
  • rostasi said:

Shared. Genius even with the cheat Kraftwerk "drum".

• Don't know if it's really the greatest (as with all of these things),
    but it is an interesting new release.

• Steve Reich - Six Pianos (At Home)

Gregor Schwellenbach, Erol Sarp, Daniel Brandt, Paul Frick,
    Kai Schumacher, John Kameel Farah.
  • @Muggsy just really love that Bob Mould video!
  • @rostasi coming as I do from weird Melbourne of course that "New Weird Australia" video is the greatest!

• That's pretty good - Two teens grooving on some Phil Collins. You knew that reaction to the drum fill was coming, but it's still priceless.

I think partly what they're relating to is the ostentatious (not to say over the top) production, which perhaps foreshadows much of the pop/electro music production they grew up on. Checked to see who the producer was on this 1981(!) album...kind of surprised to learn it was Collins himself

• Looking for a good birthday video to share with an FB friend; found he shared the day with Sam Moore of Sam and Dave; just tremendous