Throwing Punches at the Hurricane: Jazz at Bandcamp

Comments

• Two of my very favorite labels on the whole planet recently loaded up a Bandcamp page.

• jonahpwll said:
    Two of my very favorite labels on the whole planet recently loaded up a Bandcamp page.

I'm really pleased with the Hubro expansion. Their Bandcamp offering was negligable after the spoils on offer at Emusic (passim). Now to try auand. Thanks for the heads up.

• Yeah, both Hubro and Auand put up Bandcamp pages about a year ago, but only populated them with a handful of albums.  But both recently have escalated things dramatically, and now older albums are being added along with the newer stuff.  I'm very happy about this for several reasons... one which is I get to bring attention to these excellent labels in my monthly recommendations column.  So much great music.
  • Thanks for the Ed Palermo update Brighternow. In the past I would of course have downloaded this from eMusic, not any longer....
  • greg said:
    Thanks for the Ed Palermo update Brighternow. In the past I would of course have downloaded this from eMusic, not any longer....

Ditto - thanks!   And yes, we used to get Ed on eMusic (still on 7DIG, though), but had missed that he had a new release out.
  • jonahpwll said:
    Yeah, both Hubro and Auand put up Bandcamp pages about a year ago, but only populated them with a handful of albums.  But both recently have escalated things dramatically, and now older albums are being added along with the newer stuff.  I'm very happy about this for several reasons... one which is I get to bring attention to these excellent labels in my monthly recommendations column.  So much great music.

I always have enjoyed both of these eclectic labels - used to be mainstays for me on eMusic (Auand is still sort of still there under the alternate label name Jazz Engine).  Was glad to see your BITW and Bandcamp columns bring some attention to them - thanks!
  • I want to say that Jazz Engine has been something of a mothership for other labels. If I remember correctly, El Gallo Rojo Records also sometimes doubled up distribution under the Jazz Engine imprint.  Maybe Dodicilune Records, too.
    And it's been a gratifying experience to be able to bring attention to labels like Auand and Hubro with my eMusic, Wondering Sound, Bandcamp and BitW columns.  For a very long time, there weren't any other outlets writing about those labels on the US mainland.
  • edited July 2019
    Yeah, I noticed Jazz Engine seems to aggregate some other labels, too.  Anyway, jazz is so sparse on eMusic now that anything good is welcome, which brings me to this odd find today (cross-posted below from my post in the eMusic Bargains thread...)

OK, this one is truly bizarre...   (the situation, not the album).   Ropeadope, a jazz label that fled eMusic a couple years ago, has exactly one new release suddenly available on eMusic, and it is actually a 2019 release and only $4.99.   Some pretty top notch talent joining Sanchez, too - Obed Calvaire (currently playing with SFJazz Collective, as is Sanchez), Lage Lund on guitar, Luis Perdomo on piano/Fender Rhodes, etc.   Go figure.

David Snchez Carib

• I love that the Rhodes is finding new life off and on these days.
  • There is a new (?) Corbett vs Dempsey Bandcamp page. I think except for the most recent releases, everything is there + streaming.

Current listening...Recorded on 3 LPs for HatHut back in 1979
  • jonahpwll said:
    And a fine list it is, particularly this month...

• The Bird is the Worm site has gone dormant for more than two months now (the last review post was on July 4, with the only other two posts since then being the monthly links to the Best of Bandcamp articles).   Hopefully that is just a temporary reflection of @jonahpwll relocating to a new city this summer and not the demise of one of the best indie jazz recommendation sites on the internet.    Regardless, his latest Bandcamp recommendations are now up on the Bandcamp site itself, and, as always, have some great finds:

Hope all is well for you, @jonahpwll !
  • Yeah, it's a few things.  Definitely the first time home buyer process (and consequent time suck of now being a first time home owner), plus moving to Lexington, plus starting a new job all have played into the site dormancy.  Also, I'm not quite as willing anymore to set aside my own creative pursuits to write for BitW, so there's that.  But, also, I'm in the process of revamping my site.  I'm changing the BitW name to something else, and I'm adding a few sister sites to the family, so that my writing pursuits are a bit more consolidated.

It's a lot to do all at once, but I keep putting off the site(s) reboot, and it seemed like it was an opportune time to finally do it when I wasn't going to be writing much b/c of the move etc anyway.

I'm hoping to have things running by mid-November again, at the latest.  But it may be the whole thing gets started back up with the Best of 2019 rundowns.
  • Thanks for the update - and keep us posted!   You've been a great friend to the jazz community for a long time, so, at least personally, I'm happy to wait and see where your next adventures lead you.  Congrats on the home, may you and your lawnmower enjoy many summers together...  ;-)
  • I cross-posted this in "Bargains on the new Emusic", even though it's technically neither an eMusic bargain nor a Bandcamp bargain.   But it *is* jazz, and you can get it for $1.09 on 7Digital rather than $15 on Bandcamp.   (It's a 48 minute single track album)

Image result for noah preminger zigsaw album cover

• ^^^  BTW, Noah's previous album, "Pivot - Live at the 55 Bar" is available for $2.18 at 7Digital, as well.  (2 tracks, each ~ 32 min long).
  •  I'm not quite as willing anymore to set aside my own creative pursuits 

If I remember correctly you were once writing a novel Jonahpwll  - is that being resurrected? Best wishes for it if you are.
  • greg said:
     I'm not quite as willing anymore to set aside my own creative pursuits 

If I remember correctly you were once writing a novel Jonahpwll  - is that being resurrected? Best wishes for it if you are.
    It is currently one of the considerations.  I'm putting some finishing touches on my third novel and trying to recapture the flow on my fourth.  I'm concerned I may have lost the pursuit of the fourth book just because I haven't maintained a dedicated routine to writing it.  That's nice of you to ask.  Cheers.
  • The latest from theBABAorchestra is available on Bandcamp as NYOP (name your own price):

• edited December 2019
    I wrote a fun column about holiday music in the jazz aisle for The Bandcamp Daily...

Image result for kind of yule
    Kind of Yule: A Guide to Holiday Jazz

• edited April 2020

NYOP at Bandcamp

This album is the first in a small collection of long forgotten recordings collecting digital dust on my hard drive. Finally collated together and given their place in the world......on another hard drive, on amazon S3 servers.
    Lost Tapes is a combination of recordings from January 2013 and a live recording which I have no idea from when or where it came.

• James Hamilton has a special place on this eMusers thread.  His "The Causeway Suite" was one of first albums featured on this thread.

• That's where I was introduced to him, thanks Jonahpwll, and how I got on his mailing list!
  • edited May 2020
    That mega-thread went on for nearly three hours.
    Probably doing another one tomorrow night and then one more on Sunday night.
  • edited January 2021
    jonahpwll said:
    That mega-thread went on for nearly three hours.
    Probably doing another one tomorrow night and then one more on Sunday night.
    :)
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga4053929173_14jpg
    released April 17, 2020
    - Free jazz trio from Aarhus, Denmark.
  • Fred Hersch and Esperanza Spalding have a limited-time live duet EP (though 45 min long) from Village Vanguard available only on Bandcamp and only through the end of June. It's being offered as a fundraiser for jazz musicians during the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://esperanzaspaldingfredhersch.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-the-village-vanguard-rough-mix-ep-a-benefit-recording-for-the-jazz-foundation-of-america

• Hey @jonahpwll , everything OK for you?  I know you had (at least temporarily) stopped updating your site, but yourTwitter has been quiet for a few weeks now and no "Best of" Bandcamp monthly roundup for May.   Hope all is well...
  • edited June 2020
    Yes, doing well (all things considered).
    I was all prepared to get things underway with a new site name, design, etc, and then just before I could register my new site name, it got swept up as someone's band name.  So, now my site will remain dormant for awhile as I begin anew the process of renaming my site.
    I stay off Twitter as much as possible.  That site has gone to trash.  I was doing some of those mega-threads for a little while, but just doesn't seem appropriate with everything going on.  Bandcamp has a day coming up where all profits go to specific organizations, and I'll probably do a megathread that day or the day before.  But other than that, I just don't hang on twitter anymore.  Unbelievable how user unfriendly they made that site become.
    Best of BC should be up this week or on Monday.