Throwing Punches at the Hurricane: Jazz at Bandcamp

1789101113»

Comments

• I had seen (and read) that article... great work and very interesting.  I liked the approach of essentially "bar hopping" and listening in to a different band/style at each venue.

• Timeless Jazz in on BC now:
    That means Eastern Rebellion, some George Adams/Don Pullen, some Art Blakey, some George Coleman.

• edited June 2021
    jonahpwll said:
    Timeless Jazz in on BC now:
    That means Eastern Rebellion, some George Adams/Don Pullen, some Art Blakey, some George Coleman.

Timeless has been adding albums for some time. I got the George Adams back in March. 
  • yarjazz said:
    jonahpwll said:
    Timeless Jazz in on BC now:

Timeless has been adding albums for some time. I got the George Adams back in March. 

Not sure how that got past me.  The only reason I discovered it yesterday was performing a google search on Eastern Rebellion.
  • I don't think any of the Timeless Historical releases are available at Bandcamp (unfortunately) and I don't have any idea of what the schedule is for the "standard" releases to appear at Bandcamp. Eastern Rebellion is quite recent. 

There are some Prestige releases appearing, as well. I don't know what the copyright is on these, but a good number are albums also released as Original jazz Classics. They seem to be releases by Craft Records which has been releasing original Prestige material on vinyl. These Prestige are only available as download with a few available in vinyl - no cds (the vinyl is marked as sold out for many albums at the Craft website so maybe all the Bandcamp items had vinyl at one time).
  • yarjazz said:
    I don't think any of the Timeless Historical releases are available at Bandcamp (unfortunately) and I don't have any idea of what the schedule is for the "standard" releases to appear at Bandcamp. Eastern Rebellion is quite recent. 

There are some Prestige releases appearing, as well. I don't know what the copyright is on these, but a good number are albums also released as Original jazz Classics. They seem to be releases by Craft Records which has been releasing original Prestige material on vinyl. These Prestige are only available as download with a few available in vinyl - no cds (the vinyl is marked as sold out for many albums at the Craft website so maybe all the Bandcamp items had vinyl at one time).

The Prestige additions were something I did notice (even got in a pitch to BC to write about them).  I don't yet have any inside info into what kind of release schedule that page will have.
  • Glad to see these. Nice to find some unfamiliar gems among the heavy hitters.
    httpsf4bcbitscomimga0624532916_14jpghttpsf4bcbitscomimga0719712793_14jpg
    I had no idea Gary Bartz recorded for Prestige.
    Thirty bucks to get the Coltrane '58 set (in Flac) seems like not a bad deal.

• edited January 2022
    Postcards Records created a BC page.  They didn't release much, but there are some gems in their catalog, during that strangely wide-open yet narrow sound of the 90s.  That includes French horn player John Clark's excellent 'I Will.'  Many of you have probably heard Clark before on a handful of different ECM Records sessions.  The opening rendition, a large ensemble performance of Coltrane's "India" is one of my all-time favorite pieces. https://postcardsrecords.bandcamp.com/music

• https://reggieworkman.bandcamp.com/album/summit-conference is quite good, just check out the band:
    • Reggie Workman: Bass
    • Andrew Hill: Piano
    • Sam Rivers: Tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, and flute
    • Julian Priester: Trombone
    • Pheeroan akLaff: Drums
  • Thx karg, I will definitely be checking that out. Looking up the date (1994), I found an All Music review with this whiplash-inducing quote: "By the usual standards of these highly adventurous players, the record is relatively accessible, but it does makes for challenging listening." [Then notes that only 2 tracks "feature sustained periods of cacophony"]

• edited March 2022
    Crytopgramophone opened up a BC page.  The older releases are going to slowly drip in according to their site.

• jonahpwll said:
    Crytopgramophone opened up a BC page.  The older releases are going to slowly drip in according to their site.

Ooo Thanks for the heads up there @jonahpwll