Throwing Punches at the Hurricane: Jazz at Bandcamp

Comments

• edited July 2012
    2845279914-1.jpg

This is one of several NYOP albums from Bob Reynolds on Bandcamp. You can access the rest from the right hand side of the linked page.
    Featuring Bob Reynolds on saxophones, Justin Varnes on drums, Kevin Bales on piano, and Michael Blanco on bass, this CD is a fantastic representation of the magical moments that can happen when great improvisers get the chance to document a dynamic performance in front of an enthusiastic audience.
    credits
  • I have been so bad putting stuff here. Every week I run into jazz albums on bandcamp as part of my weekly cull of the jazz new releases.
  • Yes, we agree Jonah!!!
  • edited October 2012
    2708167104-1.jpg
    - "Here for a limited time only is a free digital compilation/sampler to celebrate the new look Impossible Ark Bandcamp page."
  • edited October 2012
    3242444402-1.jpg

Free download from Skiptone Music
  • edited October 2012
    Three EPs from jazz vocalist Natasha F Agrama that together make up a nice album

1444501543-1.jpg

Pleasant three track vocal EP NYOP at Bandcamp

2610688382-1.jpg

This one is Free

3481631751-1.jpg

Another Free download
  • edited October 2012
    I have been trying to find out more about the above artist, Natasha Agrama - this is all I could get:
    Born and raised in Hollywood, Natasha Agrama is a natural born entertainer and multi-disciplinary artist. She got her BFA in New Genres in 2009 from the San Francisco Art Institute, with a focus in drawing, video, and performance. Upon graduating, she became the Art Director for Roxboro Entertainment Group, the jazz record label of renowned musician Stanley Clarke. Somewhere along the way, Natasha went from being the art director, to one of the label’s musical artists. In her short musical career, she has already performed at legendary jazz clubs around the world including the Blue Note NYC, as well as having recorded with Grammy award winning musicians for her upcoming debut record on the Roxboro label. She is currently studying full time at LA Music Academy.
  • Doesn't look like I posted this before...

rusconi_revolution.jpg

Rusconi - "Revolution"

http://rusconi.bandcamp.com/album/revolution

New Piano Trio stuff. Moody, w/electronics and some rock influences. E.S.T. type music. Currently NYOP, don't know how long it'll stay that way, so you might want to act soon.

Review on my site:

http://www.birdistheworm.com/reviews-nyop-edition-josh-maxey-approach-rusconi-revolution/
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks, Jonah. This is quite enjoyable. It will also mean that next time I am in Switzerland (I am there intermittently for work at the moment) I will not be stuck with only one Swiss band (The Evpatoria Report) in my collection. Nice review too - I enjoyed the border collie trope.
  • 3951973497-1.jpg
    - "To celebrate our very special London jazz festival treble bill we present this compilation featuring Nostalgia 77, World Sanguine Report and The Golden Age of Steam.
    All three bands are playing on 17 November at Bethnal Green working mens club."

- Impossible Ark Records - 07 November 2012
  • Speaking of Impossible Ark, we'll be featuring this free comp at AAJ next month, but you can download it in advance on the Label Love bandcamp site...

http://labelloveworldwide.bandcamp.com/album/label-love-vol-5-the-jazz-edition

You probably have some of these tracks on the original albums, but there's some good stuff there.

Cheers.
  • - Thanks . . .

1672150567-1.jpg
    - "This is a pirated album, released in Spain:
    Art Pepper live at the jazz showcase in
    Chicago 1977. With Willie Pickens, Steve
    Rodby, Wilbur Campbell. While I can’t
    afford to re-issue it here as a cd, I figure it’s
    worth releasing on the basis of some lovely
    performances."
  • Nice, BN! I didn't realize Laurie was using bandcamp now.

Worth nothing for others, Laurie Pepper, widow of Art Pepper and owner of Widow's Taste, is the one who wrote the mention about in BN's post about the live album being pirated & released in Spain. I'll have to look up the background and interview and link to it, but basically Laurie was so fed up with seeing her husband's music being sold without her or Art's permission, often as bootlegs of live performances, that she began downloading the pirated albums "illegally," did some sound enhancement (I think), and began selling the "re-pirated" albums under her own label, even claiming copyright on them. She basically bootlegged the bootleggers, which is pretty cool. She's also been getting some deserved attention for it.

Anyways, if you see Art Pepper albums under Widow's Taste label, you may purchase without fear or guilt of where the money is going.

Cheers.
  • Thanks for the explanation Jonah. I found it odd other wise to see pirated music on Bandcamp!
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah !, I was too lazy to find out about it.
  • Sounds a great idea Jonah - shame a few other artists don't try this approach!
  • 397448557-1.jpg
    The Matt Smiley Large Ensemble
    - released 25 October 2012

David Pope - saxophone
    Peter Sommer - saxophone
    Aakash Mittal - saxophone
    Wil Swindler - saxophone
    Josh Quinlan - saxophone
    Ben Haugland - piano
    Bard Hoff - guitar
    Paul Elwood - banjo
    Ryan Fourt - guitar
    Matt Smiley - bass
    Tony Saccomanno - drums
    Britt Ciampa - drums
  • Aakash Mittal is a recent Jazz Pick. A lot of those names are unfamiliar to me. I'll have to see if they're part of the regular Denver/Boulder jazz scene. Ben Haugland and Ryan Fourt are vaguely familiar names. Fourt may be a U of Northern Colorado grad... I feel like maybe he submitted to the AAJ dotd once.

I'll have to look into this album tomorrow morning. Good find, BN. Cheers.
  • edited November 2012
    I think there has been some other stuff from Matt Smiley - in addition to what's on that Bandcamp page now.

ETA: These are what I was thinking of, both worth hearing.

Christian Wolff: Edges
    by Cobra Ensemble + Christian Wolff

310016881-1.jpg
    Somewhere he had a pretty extensive blog post/discussion about this performance with Wolff.

Quartet Art Live!
    by Matt Smiley Quintet

2963860614-1.jpg
  • edited January 2013
    2545196626-1.jpg
    - "4 is the 4th album from the Portuguese psychedelic jazz rock noise project dUAS sEMIcOLCHEIAS iNVERTIDAS (dSCi). Titled after the self-titled 4th albums of other notorious bands, this album is now made available free for download to celebrating the end of their kebab tour 2012 while the band is still making their way back to Portugal crossing through Spain, France and Italy."
  • New on Matt Smiley's BC page:
    4235306172-1.jpg
    released 09 December 2012
    Alex Nauman: guitar
    Erik Olson: piano and organ
    Brad Edwards: drums
    Matt Smiley: bass
    Gy Moody: percussion
    Ben Johns: saxophones
  • edited January 2013
    134753264-1.jpg
    released 02 November 2012
    Portland Jazz Composers' Ensemble Sextet:

Performers:
    Thomas Barber, trumpet and flugelhorn
    Lee Elderton, saxophones
    Dan Duval, guitar
    Andrew Oliver, piano
    Bill Athens, bass
    Tom "Euge" Goicoechea, drums
  • 1749511705-1.jpg
    released 16 February 2012
    Executive Producer: Don Stark
    Producers: Justin Horn, Thomas Barber, Jim Reith

Voice*: Justin Horn
    Guitar: Mike DeRose
    Keyboards: Jim Sodke
    Bass: Eric Hervey
    Drumset: Ryan Schiedermayer
    Percussion**: Ryan Schiedermayer
    Trumpet: Thomas Barber, Jeff Pietrangelo
    Alto Saxophone: Warren Wiegratz
    Tenor Saxophone: Andrew Spadafora
    Baritone Saxophone: Andrew Spadafora
    * “That Way” features Justin Horn and Ameerah Tatum on Voice
    ** “Makin’ Bacon” features Patricia Horn on Percussion
  • edited January 2013
    839170008-1.jpg
    “A wonderful gem of a recording.” Philip Coombs (Free Jazz)
    “…This album rocks.” Dave Sumner (Bird is the Worm)
    “…There is a new surprise around nearly every corner throughout this often fascinating performance.” Tom Burris (Free Jazz)
  • edited January 2013
    49701274-1.jpg413098152-1.jpg
    Adam Rudolph's Moving Pictures - Live @ Tampere Music Festival Nov. 2012
    released 23 January 2013

ADAM RUDOLPH (handrumset (kongos, djembe, tarija, zabumba) thumb pianos, sintir, multiphonic vocal, percussion)
    JOSEPH BOWIE (trombone, vocal, harmonica, congas, djembe, percussion)
    GRAHAM HAYNES (cornet, flugelhorn, percussion)
    RALPH JONES (flute, bass clarinet, alto flute, soprano and tenor saxophones, bamboo flutes)
    JAMES HURT (stick and hand drums, bells, keyboards, melodica, percussion)
    KENNY WESSEL (electric and acoustic guitars, banjo, percussion)
    JEROME HARRIS (acoustic bass guitar, slide guitar, vocal, percussion)
    ALEXANDER OVERINGTON (live processing, samples. vocal)
  • There's a bunch of great Adam Rudolph on bandcamp. His 2012 release (which I can't recall the title of all the sudden) is especially good.

On Tuesday, I'm pubbing the review for recent Jazz Pick Benje Daneman's debut album "Estelle's Farewell Gift," a lovely moody trumpet/sax/piano trio (featuring Jeremy Siskind on piano). It's on Bandcamp at NYOP and $5 for the physical CD... a great deal.

http://benjedaneman.bandcamp.com/
  • edited February 2013
    With thanks to Jonah on Twitter:
    3013471789-1.jpg

On BITW: Approaching, So Close: An interview with Josh Maxey
    Read it and tweet !
  • edited February 2013
    - New on Adam Rudolph's BC page - Fantastic stuff ! - and with a dreamteam of great musicians:
    22836511-1.jpg
    released 01 January 1992

Shankar (double violin, vocal)
    Wah Wah Watson (electric guitar)
    Jihad Racy (ney, oud, mizmar, kanun, mizwiz)
    Susan Allen (concert harp, kayagum)
    James Macubya (nanga, adung, vocal)
    Ralph Jones (saxophones, flute, bass clarinet)
    G.E. Stinson (bottleneck slide guitar)
    Charles Moore (trumpet, shofar)
    Caroline Shankar (vocal, tanpura)
    Jose Luis Perez (trap drum set)
    Adam Rudolph (acoustic and sampled percussion, hand drums, talking drums, Didjeridoo, multiphonic singing, sampling keyboards)

"The first Moving Pictures release - 1992, featuring L. Shankar, Wah Wah Watson, Jihad Racy and others..."
  • edited April 2013
    1311038138-1.jpg
    Released 31 January 2013
    Pekka Pylkk
  • ETA: - Worth a second "shout":
    Pylkkanen_Pekka.jpg
    - "Saxophonist/composer/educator Pekka Pylkkanen studied at the Sibelius-Academy in Helsinki, Finland from where he also got his Master’s Degree. Also, he spent one year studying at the Rotterdam’s Conservatory in Holland. He also did some studies privately in the US with for example, Dave Liebman, Bob Mintzer, Bob Sheppard, Gary Keller and Dick Oatts.

He has worked with dozens of different artists, orchestras and groups both in Finland and abroad, and during the last 15 years or so, has established himself as a leader, while keeping the main emphasis on Pekka Pylkkanen’s Tube Factory, a group that has toured all over the world, playing on international festivals, concert halls and clubs. He also performed at the IAJE Conference on 2007 with this group.

He has also performed (as a leader/soloist) in many concert halls on different continents, like Beijing Concert Hall, The Spring Hall (Seoul/Korea), Daegu Cultural Center/Korea, La Pavillion Blanco (Cordoba, Argentina), etc.

Has worked with as a sideman with greats such as Vince Mendoza, Joe Henderson, McCoy Tyner, Mercer Ellington, Bob Mintzer, Dave Liebman, Michael Abene, Odean Pope, and many others. With his own groups he has performed all over the world and has given workshops and master classes in dozens of universities and colleges around. Besides performing and composing he works as the Head of Pop/Jazz Music Degree Program in NKUAS, Joensuu, Finland. He has released 3 CDs under his own name and can be heard of dozens of other recordings.

His 2 first CDs were released by Naxos Jazz, with a worldwide distrubution. The latest CD called ‘Listen!’ was originally released by Art Of Life Records, on iTunes, and was distributed also as a CD on LUMINO RECORDS label.
    Now the CD ‘Listen!’ is also licensed to China on Starsing Records.

Pekka has held clinics about improvisation, composition and group playing (among other topics) all around the world."

http://pekkasmusic.com/?page_id=11 - Blue Music Group