Throwing Punches at the Hurricane: Jazz at Bandcamp

Comments

• BT, thanks muchly for that Rudolph pointer. I was a big fan of Dream Garden, and this one sounds very nice.
  • This album will get some best-of-year discussion. A new release by Guillermo Klein and Aaron Goldberg...

51-OzNjffbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Bienestan"

http://sunnysidezone.com/album/bienestan

The song Burrito sends chills up my spine, it's that damn hauntingly pretty.

I already knew that Sunnyside was putting out strong releases, but until I was able to stream on their Bandcamp site, I wasn't aware just how strong their stable really is. There probably isn't an album I won't download off that Bandcamp page once it's all said and done.
  • Thanks Jonah,

I hadn't seen your previous post on Sunnyside at Bandcamp, that's great. May have to buy one just to show them some support.
  • I'm just so busy right now, but that Bandcamp page has (once I actually have money again) earned several sales they wouldn't have gotten with just 30 second samples. Albums by Diego Barber, Adam Volker, Adam Cruz, Joel Harrison just to start. I haven't even gotten through them all, yet. And now there's new ones up. This is great.
  • It's getting difficult to keep up. Just about all these new acts I'm discovering through the AAJ dotd are setting up Bandcamp pages. You can almost assume that anything I post in the AAJ dotd thread has a Bandcamp page...

susanasantossilvaquintet_devilsdress_jk.jpg

Susana Santos Silva - "Devil's Dress"

Personnel: Susana Santos Silva: trumpet, flugelhorn; Ze Pedro Coelho: tenor saxophone; Andre Fernandes: guitar; Demian Cabaud: bass; Marcos Cavaleiro: drums.

For fans of Todd Sickafoose and Ben Allison. This album ranks right up there (in my book) with Tiny Resistors.

You can stream (and purchase) the album on her Bandcamp page...

http://susanasantossilva5tet.bandcamp.com/

Also, she's currently scheduled to run a track from the album as the AAJ free mp3 of the day on July 14th.

AAJ review out today...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=39800

Ridiculous how beautiful this album is.
  • I found this note on Chris Dingman's bandcamp page...
    Note about payments: 85% of your payment goes directly to the artist (as opposed to 65% or less on iTunes and other sites). Please consider making a larger donation to enable future projects.

I wasn't sure if specific numbers of actual cuts had been mentioned before.

I'll post about Dingman's sublime album later.
  • Frankly, I'm delighted to hear that artists are getting as much as 65% at iTunes.
  • I would be amazed if any artist gets 65% on itunes. Only those with the most power in contract negotiations would get that, and then management, label etc will all get their cut out of that amount, surely
  • edited July 2011
    We had some detailed discussion of bandcamp breakdowns, factoring in extra considerations such as the transaction taking more of the first dollar because of adding paypal transaction fees, here. (linked comment plus the two following)
  • 1705800656-1.jpg
    Riaan Vosloo - Bass (Arrangements and compositions)
    Tim Giles - Drums
    Ross Stanley - Fender Rhodes
    Matthew Bourne - Piano
    Mark Hanslip - Tenor sax
    James Allsopp - Bass Clarinet, Tenor sax
    Fulvio Sigurta - Trumpet
    Catherine Shrubshall - clarinet
    Tori Freestone - flute
    - Info

- Much recommended !

- Examples of Twelves has two excellent albums out on Emusic.
  • @BN

Enjoying that Examples right now. Very likely I'll be emailing them tomorrow about the dotd.

I have to say, overall, Bandcamp is getting much much better on the jazz front. It seems like a lot of musicians are embracing it. And while the NYOPs and deals aren't to be had as often as with pop, Indie, rock, etc, the ability to stream and buy in lossless file formats is more valuable to me as a jazz listener/buyer than as a bargain shopper.

Many of the musicians I invite to participate in the dotd have Bandcamp sites set up. I'm just too busy to keep posting them in this thread. It's a very promising occurrence.

Wow, this first examples tune is very nice.

Cheers.
  • edited July 2011
    @BN

Yeah, that was a very nice find, BN. Thank you for that. I'm already in touch with them about the AAJ dotd. If they decide they're interested, they should be on the schedule in late August.

Speaking of your finds, that a few of the bands you rec above whom I judged to be insufficiently jazz to be included on the thread, yet will now be inviting them to participate in the AAJ dotd is irony that, to some, might be pretty fucking delicious.

Cheers.
  • edited September 2011
    1315121215-1.jpg

Lindsey Horner :: electric bass, tin whistle, voice
    Andy Laster :: baritone saxophone, clarinet, flute, voice
    Cuong Vu :: trumpet, voice
    Jamie Saft :: piano, fender rhodes electric piano, hammond organ, clavinet, voice
    Curtis Hasselbring :: trombone, voice
    Andrew D'Angelo :: alto saxophone, bass clarinet, voice
    Bobby Previte :: drums, voice
  • edited September 2011
    - This came out from a Tim Collins search @ Bandcamp:

1394745076-1.jpg
    "Incarnate is the new record by NYC jazz guitarist Josh Maxey. It features five new compositions, Vibraphonist Tim Collins, Jazz Guitar Legend Rodney Jones, McClenty Hunter on Drums and Aaron James on Bass. Produced by David Parnell and Josh Maxey.

You can name your own price for this record, please give what you can and enjoy! "
  • edited October 2011
    2399296965-1.jpg

Following up a couple of AAJ DOTD tracks by Jon Crowley I first discoverd they were not available on emusic or Amazon in the UK, so I next went to Bandcamp. Neither of the albums are there too, but Jon Crowley does have a number of live albums there. The bonus is that they are free to download too.This is the most recent of those. Go to Live @ Chris' Jazz Cafe April 2011 to download. The tags are experimental jazz minimalist. The line-up does vary across the albums but this is trumpet, tenor sax, organ and drums
  • edited December 2011
    2497712894-1.jpg

Discovered this by way of an article in yesterday's Observer newspaper on New Faces of British Jazz - see http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/30/jazz-new-faces-empirical-kairos-mccormack. They have two EPs on Bandcamp. The following quote tells you something about their style
    The Beats & Pieces Big Band is a 14 piece contemporary jazz ensemble based in Manchester and led by Ben Cottrell. The band released their debut EP in December 2009 on Efpi Records, an independent label run by three of the band members, and have performed across the UK to consistent acclaim. In March 2011, Beats & Pieces were named as the winners of the European Young Artists’ Jazz Award, part of the Burghausen International Jazz Festival in Germany. Winning the competition ahead of 4 other finalists from across Europe led to a gala concert alongside Chick Corea and Gary Burton, which was recorded for broadcast on German national TV and radio.

“They couple gale-force collective energy and confidence to startlingly original material (most of it by its rising-star leader Ben Cottrell) that acknowledges big-band traditions while radically modernising them.” John Fordham, The Guardian

“Their performance would have reassured anyone who wonders whether the big band tradition can connect with a twentysomething audience that knows its Radiohead but thinks that Stan Kenton is probably a window-cleaner in Coronation Street” Clive Davis, The Times

See http://beatsnpieces.net/biography/ for their website. This EP costs £3 to download at http://music.beatsnpieces.net/album/live-band-on-the-wall

Their previous EP, NYOP, is
    3152857915-1.jpg
    In the run up to their second anniversary gig at the Manchester Jazz Festival in July 2010, and to celebrate both the end of their first set of UK tour dates and the reissue of the Beats & Pieces EP after the initial limited edition run of 100 had sold out, Efpi invited three friends of the band to remix a song from the EP with very exciting results!

This remix collection has been made available to download with no minimum price. If you enjoy the music please pay what you feel the music is worth! All contributions go directly towards supporting the band - as you can imagine running a 14 piece big band isn't cheap, and we are always grateful for your support!
    This is available at http://music.beatsnpieces.net/album/beats-pieces-remixes
  • edited December 2011
    1595199176-1.jpg
    A great modern jazz record from trumpeter and composer Dave Chisholm. Think Radiohead meets Miles Davis and you'll get the idea. Fine tunes and playing by all!

Tags: ambient indie-rock jazz post-rock Rochester
    Available here for $8

Also on emusic
  • edited December 2011
    4031032390-1.jpg

Javier Vercher - "Wish You Were Here"

WOW

JAVIER VERCHER - Saxophone
    LIONEL LOUEKE - Guitar
    SAM YAHEL - Piano
    LARRY GRENADIER - Bass
    FRANCISCO MELA - Drums

Special Guest on "Vivi" and "Blue Heron"
    Arturo Stable - Percussion
    Jorge Perez - Cajon

http://javiervercher.bandcamp.com/album/wish-you-were-here
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry, belongs in the other thread.
  • A Christmas present from Bobby Previte - Live at the Amphitheatre (free)

recorded live in 2009. Mastered by Bobby Previte
    credits
    released 25 December 2011
    Ellery Eskelin: tenor saxophone
    Bill Ware:vibraphone
    Brad Jones: electric bass
    Bobby Previte: drums
  • Bobby giveth, Bobby taketh away...already gone!
  • edited February 2012
    4195951674-1.jpg
  • @BN

Nice find on the Josh Maxey. Thanks much.

A couple things:

1. He just put both of his albums as NYOP, for a limited time only.
    2. He has a new album coming out in a couple weeks.
    3. We'll be featuring a song from the new and either one or both of the old albums as the AAJ dotd.
  • edited February 2012
    @Jonah . . . Welcome much.

1633518818-1.jpg

AAJ Biography - Emusic
  • edited March 2012
    - Rec'ed by Matt Smiley on his blog:

"Creeptastic grinder jazz for the masses"
    1844775419-1.jpg
    "New York’s most cinematic noir band...One of the year's top ten albums."

- New York Music Daily[/size]

Rick Parker - tbone
    Kellen Harrison - bass
    Dane Johnson - gtr
    Eyal Maoz - gtr
    Shawn Baltazor - drums
    Bryan Beninghove -sax/compositions
    - released 28 April 2011

- "This is a great record from the group Beninghove’s Hangmen. You should BUY THIS ALBUM, good music to fit your film noir needs. Perfect driving music, put on a scary black and white silent film and listen to it, or party music! Do it, buy the music, you won’t regret it!!"
    - Matt Smiley.
    - eMu
  • edited March 2012
    3541596795-1.jpg

Holly Mead - "Calico EP"

Pianist, keyboard, effects. Former Chicagoan. Works with people like Charles Gorcyznski (Colorlist) and Matt Ulery (Ulery's Loom). This appears to be a solo album. Some experimental ambient electronica, some straight jazz, some stuff in between. This is one of three free albums on her bandcamp page. She's also selling (for $5) her proper release "Can't Keep It", which is straight-ahead jazz. Nice stuff all around.

http://hollymead.bandcamp.com/album/calico-ep
  • Excellent bandcamp news: Greg Osby's Inner Circle label is about to begin a bandcamp presence.

Right now, he's offering a free label compilation album on bandcamp:

http://innercirclemusic.bandcamp.com/album/free-downloads

And he confirmed for me on Twitter that he is going to be expanding the label's presence on bandcamp.

This is very good news.
  • Thanks Jonah, excited about this.
  • Thanks Jonah - downloaded and next up to play