Throwing Punches at the Hurricane: Jazz at Bandcamp

Comments

• edited April 2012
    What ho? Or maybe I just missed it...

106489171-1.jpg
  • edited April 2012
    Guh, sorry. I've been aware of their page for some time, just slipped my mind to mention it here. I spend some much time on twitter these days, that I sometimes forget that my conversations there don't necessarily get back to here.
  • Yeah, what's up with that? Actually, I think it was a BItW retweet that led me to the sampler.

Btw, the Inner Circle sampler posted on the previous page is really nice...Listened to it twice through yesterday. It coheres as an album, which of course is often not the case with samplers. Would recommend even for non-jazz people who wanted some good 'dinner music,' although it is more than just that...
  • Also, don't know if I mentioned that the Northern Spy label has a bandcamp page...

http://northernspyrecords.bandcamp.com/

Artists like Charles Gayle, Chicago Underground Duo, etc.
  • Bobby Previte again, pretty much everything 5 bucks: http://bobbyprevite.bandcamp.com/
  • Yeah, I think that's a good choice by Bobby, a sweet spot price. If people want recs from that catalog, I'll be glad to provide my two cents.
  • Might need 23 Constellations ...
  • Cantos appears to be the latest, and has no musical value whatsoever. But don't take my word for it:
    The Cantos are all orphan songs. The Cantos, and Swami Lateplate, were born when one afternoon in Saft's Brooklyn studio Saft and Previte were hanging out and decided to turn on the machine and record whatever happened, however it happened, with no preconception, no direction, no thought of what they were doing and for whom, and certainly no attempt to create anything with "taste." The Cantos have no musical value whatsoever.[/url]
  • Sunna Gunnlaugs "birthday sale," everything NYOP.
  • Interesting post about London's Vortex Jazz Club at Bird Is the Worm with links to lots of albums on Bandcamp (and elsewhere) recorded at the club.
  • 3339796017-1.jpg
    Solid bass-led session with nice touches of world music. NYOP
  • edited June 2012
    228809647-1.jpg
    This reminds me a lot of Ugetsu. $5
  • edited June 2012
    @BT

Nice catch on the Rybicki. I'm in the process of reviewing it for BitW. I picked the physical cd up at a show a month back, when Rybicki was playing bass for the Laurence Hobgood - Ernie Watts Quartet. Hadn't yet gotten around to seeing if there was anything available online to stream.

Plus, I think there are a couple free tracks from that Raymond cd on AAJ. It's a decent album. One of my emu jazz picks back when it was released (Feb 2012?).
  • Jonah, there's no use competing with you on this terrain. You are the master!
  • Aaaand now I have a new sig line.
  • Oh, wait, dammit, this site doesn't have sig lines! Gaah!
  • Don't know if I've said this lately, but my clever title is becoming increasingly incorrect. There's a whole lot of great jazz on bandcamp these days.
  • Jonah, there's no use competing with you on this terrain. You are the master!

Sadly I have to agree, BT! Thanks for recommendation - waiting for the email to download.
  • Jonah, the best I can do now is beat you by a week or two. However, I won't have the benefit of your wisdom to put any "discovery" in context.
  • You're doing a pretty good job beating me with flattery, however. And keep in mind, many of the best discoveries on this thread were by people other than me. But thanks for the kind words.

Cheers.
  • edited June 2012
    - So far there's only 1 track available for streaming from this extraordinary brilliant Denmark/USA collaboration, - I hope it will be available as soon as the last Vinyl and CD copies are sold:

- A unique project with Tortoise, Isotope217 and Causa Sui musicians:
    993418479-1.jpg
    Chicago Odense Ensemble - ST

Personel:
    Rob Mazurek, Jeff Parker, Dan Bitney, Matt Lux, Brian Keigher, Jonas Munk (aka. Manual), Jakob Skøtt

- "Chicago Odense Ensemble is a unique collaboration that came together in the winter of 2008 while danish musicians Jonas Munk and Jakob Skøtt stayed in Chicago. Through mutual friends a studio session was arranged for the two to improvise and lay down ideas with some of Chicagos finest improvisers, including members of Tortoise and Chicago Underground Collective.

Improvisation is not unfamiliar to the two danes, however, as they are more than accustomed to working from spontaneity and freeform structures in psych/kraut/prog unit Causa Sui in their hometown of Odense. During the Chicago studio session hours of loose ideas, grooves and atmospherics were recorded, ranging from loud, intense musical outbursts led by cornetist Rob Mazurek, to delicate, colourful ambiences.

Later, the finest moments were edited, re-arranged and mixed by Jonas Munk in his studio in Odense, doing a great deal of cutting and pasting, and adding an occasional dreamy and dubby vibe to the soundscape. The result is something quite unique: a musical blend that exists somewhere in between the aesthetics of impro jazz, hypnotic rock and electronica. The closest reference for this kind of music is probably early 1970s proto-fusion jazz that strived for a similar synthesis of jazz improvisation, psychedelic rock, eastern and african sounds and the use of the studio as a musical tool instead of merely a recording facility.

Conceptually this album therefore seems more related to Miles Davis' ventures into electric music in the late 1960s that culminated in the early 1970s with albums such as "Live Evil", where improvisational jazz meets funk, psych and percussion driven world music. Even though Chicago Odense Ensemble is undeniably modern sounding in some ways, it also reaches back to an era in music where the fusion of jazz and elements of rock were still regarded with optimism, and where musical spontaneity and freedom seemed a vehicle for cosmic beauty rather than esoteric formalism."

- http://www.chicagoodenseensemble.com/
  • Matthew Halsall now has a bandcamp page. I'm hoping Gondwana Records also creates one for Nat Birchall. I'm also hoping they start signing up some additional musicians to their roster.
  • Thanks Johah . . .
    1669585926-1.jpg
    released 18 April 2011
    Trumpet – Matthew Halsall
    Saxophone – Nat Birchall
    Harp – Rachael Gladwin
    Piano – Adam Fairhall
    Double Bass – Gavin Barras
    Drums – Gaz Hughes

Winner of the 2012 Gilles Peterson Worldwide Award for best jazz album - 'On The Go' is trumpeter Matthew Halsall's third album.
  • I forgot what a strong line-up that is. Birchall is well known around here for his tenor sax work. Gavin Barras has a new album out called "Day of Reckoning" which is quite good, a strong modern jazz album. He was also on the European Union Quartet, which had The Dark Peak, another solid album. Adam Fairhall just put out an crazy-good album called "The Imaginary Delta," which I would compare favorably to Mingus, in terms of the mix of avant-garde and classic jazz.
  • Thanks Jonah - I've already got his last three albums via emusic in the past, but there is one free track Ode to the Big Sea available
  • You should check out both Halsall and Birchall on soundcloud. They have a bunch of live stuff, some of it downloadable. Some neat stuff where they cover John Coltrane and Cinematic Orchestra.
  • edited July 2012
    2824294059-1.jpg

NYOP at Bandcamp

3947539088-1.jpg

Also NYOP