Throwing Punches at the Hurricane: Jazz at Bandcamp

Comments

• A great new find...

41W9%2BaQZXDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ellipsis - "Edge Hill Road"
    -Released in Oct 2009
    Personnel:
    Jon Thompson (tenor sax), Matt Davis (guitar), John Stenger (piano), Jason Fraticelli (bass), Justin Leigh (drums).

If you enjoyed Brian Blade's "Season of Changes", I can almost assure you will enjoy "Edge Hill Road". It has that somber-but-full-of-hope interaction. A laid back affair with some rising tensions. A good rainy day afternoon album.

Here's their website, which is really really good. They've got streaming of tons of live shows and free mp3s and even music scores. This is a band that is wisely embracing the internet age...

http://www.ellipsismakesmusic.com/

And here's their Bandcamp page, where you can streams and download the album. It costs $8, and after listening to it twice now, I'd argue that it's worth every penny.

http://ellipsisphilly.bandcamp.com/album/edge-hill-road

Apparently these guys have done concerts where they do nothing but covers of different bands. Radiohead, Nick Drake, The Beatles, Bjork are just some of the ones mentioned. Like I said, you can listen to a lot of these shows on their site.
    "Edge Hill Road" is an album of their own compositions.
  • I can't stop listening to the Edge Hill Road album I mention in the above post. It's beautiful. It really does affect me in the same way as Brian Blade's "Season of Changes".
  • edited February 2011
    Here's a free download from a Bill Frisell performance at the Telluride Jazz Festival in 2007. It's a performance of "Baba Drame" which he performed originally on the Intercontinentals album.

http://telluridejazz.bandcamp.com/album/telluride-jazz-live-2007

I mentioned before that I'm not gonna post links on this thread for single songs, but, well, Frisell is just about my favorite artist, so I'll make an exception this one time. There's also a free Sharon Jones song on the same album.

2007_poster.jpg

Telluride_Bluegrass.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    6a00e008dca1f088340133f0d8b701970b-250wi

John Goldsby (w/ Jacob Duncan and Jason Tiemann)

It's a nice mix of Clean Feed dissonance and Euro-jazz classical-informed compositions. I've listened to it a few times now and it's growing on me. For a point of reference, though I respect the hell out of Clean Feed, their dissonance just isn't what my ears are into, but I still find myself listening to the stuff. The same is true for this album. There's a strength to the music that overcomes my personal listening whims and locks in my ears for the entire album.

It costs 5 Euros.

http://goldsby.bandcamp.com/album/the-innkeepers-gun
  • edited March 2011
    photo-full.jpg?1289799665

Just one track at the moment Day is Done, but the rest of the album is due out in about 4 weeks time. NYOP

For further details see http://music.oneworkingmusician.com/album/five-leaves-left-a-tribute-to-nick-drake
  • Looking forward to listening to that. My feeling is most jazz musicians haven't done a very good job of interpreting Nick Drake, including Mehldau. Nick's music is deceptively simple, I would imagine a tough code to break.
    However, I hope jazz musicians keep trying.
  • edited March 2011
    @jonahpwll Andy Bey's cover of River Man is sublime...terrible encoding but captures the mood.
  • I certainly like the one track at the moment, so it is looking good for the remainder
  • edited March 2011
    @elwood

That was pretty good. Certainly true to the original.

I just keep hoping that someone will do to Nick Drake what Coltrane did to My Favorite Things... embracing the essential melody and then building off from it exponentially into an entirely new but connected structure and then returning to the front door originally entered through and locking it behind him/her when leaving.

That's all I want. Is that really asking too much?
  • @jonahphwll, completely agree but I have not seen anyone even come close to approximating the giant that was Coltrane. :-/
  • Hey Greg!

Thanks so much for posting the link to my forthcoming CD! I'm really excited to get this music out into the world. I'm a HUGE Nick Drake fan and this record is really a dream come true for me. Thanks for buying my other CDs as well!

@jonahpwll - I hope you'll dig our interpretations of Nick's music. While not really all that Coltrane-y, I think we definitely put our own spin on some of the tunes, particularly "Three Hours" and "Way To Blue". They'll be out in about a month.

We also recorded a different version of "Three Hours" on our last CD, "No More, No Less", which IS fairly Coltrane-y. Check it out and let me know what you think: Three Hours - Jason Parker Quartet

Looking forward to talking more jazz around here!
    Jason
  • Hey, Jason, welcome to the site.

I'm very looking forward to your Nick Drake album. That "Three Hours" is what I'm talking about. It isn't a cover of a Nick Drake tune, it's the Jason Parker Quartet version of it. It may be a thin line between those two descriptors, but I think the division is one of ownership. You guys took ownership of "Three Hours", which is nice to hear under any circumstances. The piano on Three Hours, Josh Rawlings, was fantastic. Even though much of what he played sounded nothing like the original, there was a canny insightfulness to what he did play that could lead me to believe that Nick Drake had an alternate version to the song that had compositions exactly like what Josh played; different notes that built up to the same soul of the original.

So, again, welcome to the site. It looks like Greg set up a Jason Parker thread, so now you have two place you can talk about your own music, but obviously we'd love to have you on here talking about whatever you want... either about the mundane details of working with different retail sites, with having your own ensemble and the logistics of it, and/or best of all, what music you're listening to, both jazz and non-jazz alike. I guess that was an unnecessarily long way of inviting you to stop by and shoot the breeze whenever you want.

Also, I make it a habit of expressing my genuine thanks for allowing me to stream your music for a full listen. Thirty second samples get under my skin more profoundly than I would've ever imagined, and so I want musicians to be aware of how grateful I am when they stream all (or most) of their stuff. Plus, it's just smart. Even if I don't purchase it after the first listen, I keep a bunch of bookmarks, and it's not at all unusual for an album that doesn't do a damn thing for me the first couple times I hear it, but months later when I revisit it, it becomes something I have to have right then and there. The ears are miraculously adaptable tools.

Look forward to listening to the Nick Drake album. I'll shoot you a private message in a couple weeks. It appears I might start writing a column and doing the occasional review for the AllAboutJazz site in the near future, so I'll be open to receiving review copies of music. But the details are still being worked out. However, the focus of my column and my long-form reviews will be a focus on unsigned (and some very-small-label) acts.

Cheers.
  • edited March 2011
    751745969-1.jpg
    Andrea Taeggi's Music Works - play Ornette | live @ Trytone Festival - €4.99

- Nice. . .
  • @jonahpwll

"It isn't a cover of a Nick Drake tune, it's the Jason Parker Quartet version of it. It may be a thin line between those two descriptors, but I think the division is one of ownership. You guys took ownership of "Three Hours", which is nice to hear under any circumstances."

That is about the best compliment I can think of - thanks! We strive very hard to bring our own experiences and sensibilities to the music we play, whether it's our own originals or "covers" of standards or pop tunes. To me, that's what it's all about. And I'm fortunate, in that I've been able to keep my band together for over 3 years now. So we not only bring our individual sensibilities to bear on the music, but we have a developed a group sensibility as well, which is so gratifying and thrilling!

Greg turned me on to this site, and I'm glad he did! Seems like a ton of great people and music lovers on here, and I look forward to contributing and getting to know y'all!

(Just realized I replied to your streaming remarks on the other thread...)

Congrats on writing for AAJ! Some of my blog posts have been reposted there. Michael is a great guy! I would be happy to send you a review copy of the CD as soon as I have all the masters in hand.
  • I love this thread, and am a huge supporter of Bandcamp. Here's three of my fellow Seattlites who have great jazz albums on the site:

51sTH4Sa9JL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Josh Rawlings Trio - Climbing Stairs

Josh is the pianist in my quartet, but he also leads this trio, which has been playing together for 8 years now! Their chemistry is evident on this set of Josh's original tunes. Great piano trio music with Nate Omdal on bass and Adam Kessler on drums.

41Cvc0a0dqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

David Marriott, Jr. - Septology - In The Beginning

David is one of the first-call trombonists, composers and arrangers in Seattle He has worked in all the great big bands and with all the great heavies in town, including his brother, trumpeter Thomas Marriott. This is an incredible suite of music based on the creation of the earth fable. Features some of Seattle's best improvisers, including David Marriott - Trombone, Composer, Arranger;Thomas Marriott - Trumpet; Mark Taylor - Alto, Tenor and Soprano Saxophones; Robert Davis - Tenor Saxophone and Bass Clarinet; John Hansen - Piano; Geoff Harper - Bass; Jon Wikan - Drums.

reptet_atthecabin_mr.jpg

Reptet - At The Cabin

Reptet has developed a style all their own. Part free jazz, part New Orleans street band, part irreverent rock freaks! Their music is deeply musical, but the also know the value of pure entertainment and fun! Featuring Samantha Boshnack: Trumpet, Piccolo Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Vocals; Chris Credit: Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophones, Clarinet, Vocals; Izaak Mills: Tenor Saxophone, Bass Clarinet, Flute, Percussion, Vocals; Nelson Bell: Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba, Sousaphone, Vocals; Tim Carey: Upright & Electric Bass, Banjo, Bass Drum; John Ewing: Drums, Percussion, Lead Vocals.

I would've put Zubatto Syndicate on this list, but I see the already got some love above. There are MANY more great Seattle jazz musicians that I'll revisit at another time. In the meantime, if you don't mind a shameless plug, you can hear all sorts of great Seattle jazz music on my podcast, Jazz Now! Seattle: http://jazznowseattle.com
  • That Rawlings album is really good. I hit play and flipped to another window to write some emails. As I'm listening to the fourth track, I'm thinking, wow, this sounds kind of familiar, sort of Abdullah Ibrahim. I flip back to the Bandcamp page and read this...
    From burning Monk like Bebop on Acquittal to the Abdullah Ibrahim inspired title track Climbing Stairs, the CD gets toes tapping and spirits swinging hard!

The fourth track was "Climbing Stairs".

And that bass player knows what the hell he's doing. Nice sound.
  • Glad you dig it, jonahpwll! The title track was definitely inspired by Ibrahim. Good ears! You can also find Josh on this album from his band, The Teaching. Different kind of stuff but also very cool:

2475583017-1.png

And yes, Nate is a great bass player! He subs in my band when Evan isn't available. He also has a CD on Bandcamp. More out-ish stuff, but great players!

2044550793-1.jpg
  • humred at emu noted:
    But as long as we're still talking Bandcamp recs: Dymaxion Quartet, also available on eMu, is doing a "name-your-price" option. Interesting band with many tunes driven by catchy basslines. WBGO's "The Checkout" hipped me to them.
    Sounds pretty good to me.
  • Thanks for the rec, kargatron. Being downloaded as I type this
  • edited March 2011
    @Jonahpwll - It's Not Residual appears to be still available in the UK. Try http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Mostly-Residual-Cuong-Vu/dp/B000E4FIIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299602238&sr=1-1 or http://www.amazon.co.uk/S-Mostly-Residual-Cuong-Vu/dp/B000BJS8PO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299602238&sr=1-2

If you have problems because it is the UK, let me know as I am sure we could organise something
  • edited March 2011
    496912798-1.jpg

Early Winter by Craig Pedersen.
    These four tracks are four images. Early winter looking over a city blanketed in snow. The look on saxophonist Linsey Wellman's face when he improvises. A grey bird so small it seems translucent against the grey ground which it walks. A nightmare about dark spirits which dwell in the mountains.

Inspired by the music of John Zorn, the AACM, Ornette Coleman, Dave Douglas, Sex Mob, and Duke Ellington, the band plays original music and covers that will keep you listening, thinking and on your toes.

Hard driving record. It should be Free/NYOP (individual tracks are free, and Pedersen's website says it should be free with extra tracks coming with purchase). However, it is currently listed as $4.99 canadienne.
  • edited March 2011
    Two releases this month by Steven Lugerner, a multi-instrumentalist I just discovered today.

The first...

643793357-1.jpg

"Narrative" by the Steven Lugerner Septet

Steven Lugerner - Soprano & Alto Saxophones, Clarinets
    Lucas Pino - Tenor Saxophone & Flute
    Itamar Borochov - Trumpet and Flugelhorn
    Angelo Spagnolo - Guitar
    Glenn Zaleski - Piano
    Ross Gallagher - Bass
    Michael W. Davis - Drums

Aptly titled album, as the recording has the intimate feel of a good epic novel. Has sort of a Guillermo Klein meets Brian Blade feel to it. I've been streaming this album all day long today and still can't get enough of it. Nice layering of sounds, sounds seamless in its construction. There's some guitar work on this album I love, some odd playing that's so deftly ambient; don't know what he's doing, but love it.

The other album he's releasing this month...

3470621532-1.jpg

"These are the Words" - Steven Lugerner Quartet

Steven Lugerner - Saxophones, Clarinets, Double Reeds and Flute
    Darren Johnston - Trumpet & Flugelhorn
    Myra Melford - Piano
    Matt Wilson - Drums

More challenging of a sound. Actually, when I saw Myra Melford was on the album, the way this album sounded didn't surprise me at all. "These are the Words" is the sour to "Narratives" sweet... I don't think that's too terribly dopey to say. The last song on this album ("The Evening Episode") might be my favorite song of both albums.

He's on amazon and emusic. You can also buy either album on Bandcamp for $8 and $7 respectively or get the physical cds for that price.

ALSO...

You can stream both albums in their entirety on his Bandcamp site. Steven, since I'm sure you're out there reading this, thank you for the listen to both albums. It's brilliant stuff. If you get a chance, sign-up for an emusers account and come shoot the breeze with us. We can even give you your own thread (hey!).

http://stevenlugerner.bandcamp.com/album/these-are-the-words

I've been listening to these albums over and over all day long.
  • Nice pointer on Lugerner, thx. Jonah (and others), you might like the trumpeter Darren Johnston's The Edge of the Forest on Clean Feed, plenty of good, accessible writing on that, though it may be a bit outside for you. Three tracks (from the 'Quintet') can be streamed at his site.
  • edited March 2011
    Love the artwork on those Steven Lugerner albums.

edit: Oh to hell with streaming, I'm just buying the 2-CD set...
  • edited April 2014
    a4032219713_2.jpg
    released 08 March 2003
    Colin Stetson: Saxophones, Clarinet
    Eric Perney: Bass
    Andrew Kitchen: Drums

- Very Cool !
  • edited April 2014
    With the risk of getting involved in another Jazz slap fight:

a4206512120_2.jpg - Free.
    Mike Cassells - The House Next To Yours
    released 31 January 2011
    Written, recorded and mixed by Mike Cassells at Bottled Fish Studio.
    Mike Cassells drums, guitar, bass, keyboards.
    Jonathan Stewart saxophone.

- Amazing what a Bill Frisell tag can do, I'd probably never noticed it without.
  • 261869601.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1300743228&Signature=P%2B2g0i1YPPzq5mpyfEbYyouMgyQ%3D

Everybody go buy this attractive 2-CD set from Steven Lugerner at Bandcamp. I got a nice note from him asking where the heck I came from, so maybe he will stop by!
  • That physical 2-cd set is the only thing that stopped me from using my monthly emu allotment on both those albums. I'm just gonna have to wait until money starts coming in again, but that picture tells me its worth the wait.

I hope he does stop by.
  • edited March 2011
    @BN

That Cassells album ain't bad. Sorta subtle like a Kranky, but still has a foot touching the jazz ground. Great rec.

@Everyone

James Hamilton's Causeway Suite got mentioned again on the AAJ main site. The reviewer actually wrote it up as the initial article on a series of columns he's doing about free music on the web. Ironically, this writer is about me, though I was going to suggest the article in my phonecall tomorrow with AAJ. He, however, is actually writing formal reviews of the music, which is something I'm not really capable of doing. In any event, I directed the columnist to this site, since we've all done quite a bit of exploring for great music, including free/nyop.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=39038
  • Just a quick note...

I put a summary list of all the musicians/bands on this thread on Page One of the first post of the thread.

Seemed like it might be a helpful feature.